Cheap is good, 454 th400 and ???? swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to this board, this place has helped me with a lot of things on my first FZJ80. It is triple locked and I paid about $1500. I didn’t know it was triple locked until I received it.

D2F65DF0-DB4C-4A85-8ACF-C119D4BAB5B4.jpeg

When I 1st got it October 2018

Sold it May 2019 to a good friend. He insisted on 37” tires, i had 2” Ironman springs and stock new shocks. He now wants 35’s lol. They don’t rub under normal driving. I was surprised. He also damaged the front bumper.

15B5578B-EA59-4D38-907F-1E4E60A07FE3.jpeg

Back to my current project, 1995 fzj80 with a salvage title and engine is locked up. I paid $280 from a coworker. I tried to buy it in May when it was only knocking but he insisted to drive it until it died. I also bought a 83 K30 from my dealership with a 454 blah blah blah. My issue, to run the stock transfer case with an adapter, marks 1300+ or northwest fab 2050 with adapter for my long shaft th400 (called today) or run the NP205 with double double cardan joints. What do you guys think, here is a pic from four wheeler.

A0FD978F-B459-43F3-9848-D90093E062EC.png

All of these ideas are horrible, but regardless, you can run a single cardan at both ends if you want a centered output and offset pinion flange. As long as they're coplanar and not hitting your gas tank, it'll be alright.

But why you'd want to throw an old junky v8 and trans into a 25 year old vehicle, i don't know

All of these ideas are horrible, but regardless, you can run a single cardan at both ends if you want a centered output and offset pinion flange. As long as they're coplanar and not hitting your gas tank, it'll be alright.

But why you'd want to throw an old junky v8 and trans into a 25 year old vehicle, i don't know
Mazda 2 rebadged as Corolla IA is horrible but Toyota still did it 😂

Why, cheap cheap cheap oh and low rpm power

Not fair, junk. Early 80's 454 that makes 200hp at the max in front of a TH400 that uses 50hp to operate. If the K30 runs and drives you could probably sell it for enough to do an LS swap with money left over that will be easier and perform better. LS swap can be cheap if you wire it yourself and don't spend money unnecessary bull**** like everyone else ($1000 radiator, rebuilding engine, head studs, etc).
Now what that K30 does have is a sweet passenger drop 35 spline kingpin Dana 60 front axle.

I am asking about drive shaft options (if anyone has done a center out transfer)

If you want to talk about 235hp big block that can be slapped on the dyno with a real fuel system (carb or sniper efi) and make 350hp with 7.8:1 compression and a stock emissions camshaft. Let’s talk!!!!

If you want to talk about power loss between the th400 and 4l80e be my guest.

If I was throwing a 4bt or turboing the stock engine (both heavier then a BBC) how many people on here would be like little school girls congratulating or encouraging me??

I wonder if people even think sometimes!!!!!

your build! go big or go home! i look forward to seeing this happen.

I am asking about drive shaft options (if anyone has done a center out transfer)

Ok so in that regard I'd probably buy the Advance adapters kit to go from TH400 (or 4L80 which would be easy to add in here) to FJ60 split case, which are under $700. FJ60 cases can be had for pretty cheap, you get part time 4wd, future lower gear options, and keep easy driveshafts. and then you can sell your complete FZJ80 powertrain to recoup probably a big chunk of cost. As for Center output transfer with the offset rear axle it can be done, and has been done. However I wear out U-joints all the time on my rig which has less of a compound angle then what a 205 and 80 axle would be.

Will this fit?

40385084.jpg
Just a little hood modification. 😂

I’m thinking more like this, they got an adapter to the stock auto

But you would probably have to run the early 80 series transmission (A442) since that is the only auto they had in Australia.

But you would probably have to run the early 80 series transmission (A442) since that is the only auto they had in Australia.

I rather have a GM auto

Are you sure we can't talk you out of it? These 454's weren't that great and still used a ton of fuel. I bet in a drag race a stock 1FZ-FE will be just as fast.

Are you sure we can't talk you out of it? These 454's weren't that great and still used a ton of fuel. I bet in a drag race a stock 1FZ-FE will be just as fast.

@thatcabledude nailed it, with that username he’s sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom