Builds chap79's Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As to the cause of the engine failure, I’m thinking silt in the crank bearings.

As to the cause of the engine failure, I’m thinking silt in the crank bearings.
Well, after all, they are not submarines........

Well, after all, they are not submarines........
Now you tell me! Mine was loving dubbed “u-boat” after the last excursion.

Man I loved this rig...sorry to hear about what happened but at least it sounds like it is in good hands still. Good luck with whatever rig you decide to put your time and effort into next, I’m sure it will just as sweet as this one :cheers:

I missed this event earlier. Sorry to hear about your engine the letting go of all the work you’ve done.

Could you explain a little more on why your 80 wasn’t set up so well for your current location?

I missed this event earlier. Sorry to hear about your engine the letting go of all the work you’ve done.

Could you explain a little more on why your 80 wasn’t set up so well for your current location?
Sure thing brother. It all really comes down to wheeling opportunities and required distance to travel to them. As you well know I'd driven the 80 all over the place while on a 4" lift and 37's. Though this combination wheeled great, it's on road characteristics left a lot to be desired. Even with the sway bars on, HD springs and aggressive shock valving it still had quite a bit of body sway and a good crosswind could damn near push the truck out of its lane. I had faught with the caster angle long enough and knew to stay at its current height the axle needs a cut and turn to be able to retain the full time 4wd and get more than 1 degree caster.

So in order to get out to wheel I either have to drive 1000 miles back west to the BLM areas and wonderful natl/state parks. Here localally (within a few hours) most of the "hardcore" wheeling is all OHV parks. And my 80 was too heavy and still too pretty to beat the snot out of. So if I were to have kept it on top of the motor rebuild, complete overhaul of the interior and electrical system I would have lowered the truck back to about 2.5" of lift, changed back to either a 285/75r17 or 315/70r17 and shift away from rock crawling and move towards more expedition travel.

Long story longer we picked up a 2020 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB. It should be a good expedition platform. The wife really wants to get out to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Alaska, and the Yukon over the next few years. It's never to early to start looking towards our retirement. Now, to get back on my tear drop build and start keeping an eye out for a Toyota pickup to make a rock hooper out of.

Taco with LX.jpg
taco.jpg

I’d have gone to a 200 but that’s me. You will be missed here in the 80 section.

I thought about a 200, I really like the HP of the 5.7 in our Tundra. But the flexibility of the pickup bed won me over to the Taco. Wet dogs, fishing gear, hunting...

I'll still check in from time to time, I have too much FZJ80 knowledge in my head and it would be selfish to keep it all to myself. And though I have accounts on a bunch of other Toyota/Lexus/Offroad forums, IH8MUD is the best. So when I do make another build thread it will be here. And I'm not leaving TLCA. Again, it's the people that make these communities great.

Sure thing brother. It all really comes down to wheeling opportunities and required distance to travel to them. As you well know I'd driven the 80 all over the place while on a 4" lift and 37's. Though this combination wheeled great, it's on road characteristics left a lot to be desired. Even with the sway bars on, HD springs and aggressive shock valving it still had quite a bit of body sway and a good crosswind could damn near push the truck out of its lane. I had faught with the caster angle long enough and knew to stay at its current height the axle needs a cut and turn to be able to retain the full time 4wd and get more than 1 degree caster.

So in order to get out to wheel I either have to drive 1000 miles back west to the BLM areas and wonderful natl/state parks. Here localally (within a few hours) most of the "hardcore" wheeling is all OHV parks. And my 80 was too heavy and still too pretty to beat the snot out of. So if I were to have kept it on top of the motor rebuild, complete overhaul of the interior and electrical system I would have lowered the truck back to about 2.5" of lift, changed back to either a 285/75r17 or 315/70r17 and shift away from rock crawling and move towards more expedition travel.

Long story longer we picked up a 2020 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB. It should be a good expedition platform. The wife really wants to get out to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Alaska, and the Yukon over the next few years. It's never to early to start looking towards our retirement. Now, to get back on my tear drop build and start keeping an eye out for a Toyota pickup to make a rock hooper out of.

This is something people should think of more, what is your rig going to be doing 98% of the time, our pocket of land in the middle of the nation here isnt as blessed as our coastal companions, thats why im building more towns expedition travel. Good luck with everything mate, enjoy the Taco

And this chapter of my life has officially now ended.
4E8E43A4-DA79-484A-8962-A526ED37A70D.jpeg
84F348BB-478B-47C4-A676-893AEC0A9007.jpeg

hell of a build thread! Bravo! I seriously got so sad seeing this last picture...…… That took up 2 hours of this quarantine time. Your story is going to make really think hard about any deep water crossings in the future.

That truck will live again with another owner.

Received some pictures from the new owner. Rods seized on pistons 1 and 6. Chunk busted out is #1. My guess is oil starvation.

C072E8B7-6064-4B16-9C2A-2DDF66FDD48B.jpeg
1DC67A78-4523-4FDC-867C-05A8D3B5A712.jpeg
B6E7411A-3D43-4A3F-9C7E-DC04AFC3B289.jpeg

Can you guess what brand oil filter got used when we did the emergency oil flush and change after her swim?

Wix

Had to be the stinking silt in the water, had to be.
Ultimately at this point it doesn’t matter. There’s no blame to be made. It’s more of just analyzing why so that it doesn’t happen again in the future. But since only 1 and 6 have issues and all others look great and the cams were spotless a would lean towards being oil starved instead of silt.

Well Where do I start?
As the second owner on Mud I feel I need to give this 80 the attention in writing as I've done in Physical work on this amazing Rig. The torch has been passed. After having spent and done thousands of work and parts done to this U-BOAT, I need to bring this report up to date. From this ......to This
20191229_214624[1].jpg
20201106_143333~2[1].jpg

Well Where do I start?
As the second owner on Mud I feel I need to give this 80 the attention in writing as I've done in Physical work on this amazing Rig. The torch has been passed. After having spent and done thousands of work and parts done to this U-BOAT, I need to bring this report up to date. From this ......to ThisView attachment 2748621View attachment 2748623
Lookin’ good @KTP I knew she was going to a loving home.

Reactions: KTP
@kelly saad personally delivered this wonderful piece of art to me out in the middle of the desert. Waited till I got home for the install which was a non issue. Fits like a glove. I also replaced the factory horns with a set of PIAA Superior Bass Horns. Muy bueno!

View attachment 1836156

View attachment 1836149

View attachment 1836152

View attachment 1836153

View attachment 1836155
Where did you get the grill? was it customer or did you purchase it somewhere?

Reactions: KTP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom