Building a new house and shop (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Concrete reaches about 75% of its 28 strength in 7 days - but then also continues to gain strength after 28 days. So, typically, if you get 4000psi (or whatever) concrete, it will reach that 4000psi at 28 days. But you could also specify a concrete to reach a strength at a certain point - such as 4000psi at 7 days or 24 hours or whatever.

The main thing is to allow the concrete to properly cure - keeping it hydrated for whatever period of time required. So, actually, backfilling and keeping the soil moist would help with the curing process.

Thanks, that is good to know. Fortunately, we have been getting a lot of rain (unusual here for August), so keeping it hydrated has not been a problem.

Here is a photo of all four modules poured so far with (most of) the forms off, and the forms going up for the 5th module. The 5th module will be the kitchen and dining. The rectangular room you see the forms for on the right (west) side will be the pantry/food storage room.

I would be interested in hearing about the waterproofing system that your builder has selected.

I'm learning more about it as we get closer to waterproofing, but not enough to tell you exactly what kind of product(s) he's using. I do know that he's been building these (earth-sheltered homes) for 34 years, and has been refining the process and products over that time. He claims to have had only two leak problems after burial in all that time.

...the original contract for just the basic structure of the seven dome modules (~5,000 sq. ft. including the garage) was about $200K, but that doesn't include the windows, stone, waterproofing, burial dirt work, interior walls, flooring, appliances, and all the finish work inside. The biggest change to that now is the cost of concrete, steel, and pump trucks - the contract was based on the builder's prices for those things local to him (200 miles away), but where we live there is a house-building boom in the neighboring county and for example the price of concrete is 50% more than the contract allowed for.
Wow - I expected it to be MUCH higher. That makes my guess for the total cost of your house pretty close to what mine cost. Wanna trade? :D
And we need a commercial-grade 4,000 PSI concrete, not your average home slab stuff.
But the builder knew that before the original contract, right? So that shouldn't be an increase.

But the builder knew that before the original contract, right? So that shouldn't be an increase.

No, he is based 200+ miles away, and didn't check local concrete prices here at the time of the contract. I wasn't savvy enough to either, I just assumed that prices in the same state albeit 200 miles apart wouldn't be that much different - naive on my part I know.

Like any boom, the housing boom here has pluses and minuses. Even though we are paying more than expected for concrete and steel on this new house, we were also able to sell our last house for much more than I ever thought we would get for it, in record time. That helps offset some of the cost increase.

Progress this last week. I realize these photos are all starting to look alike, as the dome modules are a lot alike, we just keep adding one more on until all seven are poured. Module #5 (kitchen, dining, and pantry) was poured two days ago; here is yet another photo of the pour:

Here is a photo of the front of the house as of today. The forms going up on the right side are for half of the (four-car) garage, but you can now get an idea of how long the whole house will be (150'). Sorry the lighting is not the best - I waited until the crew was finished for the day so their trucks wouldn't be in the way of the photo.

What's the large black vent stack for? Also, I believe you covered it, but the flat-top portion of pour #4 is the cistern, correct?

What's the large black vent stack for?

That will be where Mrs. 1911's range hood vents through, from an island in the kitchen. The vent hood she will be using requires a 10" diameter vent, so we used a length of 12" diameter ADS pipe to go through the roof there. The annulus can be filled with insulation and/or sealant.

Also, I believe you covered it, but the flat-top portion of pour #4 is the cistern, correct?

Close - the cistern is the flat-top extension just to the right of #4 in that photo (looking from the back). It was actually in the first module poured, because they started in the very middle. The flat extension in #4 is the mechanical/utility room and a closet. The flat extension at the far end is part of my office.

Will you be using radiant floor heating? Will you even need A/C?

Will you be using radiant floor heating?

Thought about it, but decided not to, based on cost and low usage. Our "winters" are mild.

Will you even need A/C?

I hope not, but my wife likes it COLD. Plus, per the builder it will take a year or two for the house to reach equilibrium temperature with the soil, so especially for the first year or two we will probably need more A/C.

Our favorite local HVAC contractor did a load calculation for every room in the house, and concluded that it will only take a single 2.5 ton unit for the whole house (~3,900 sq. ft. of living space, not including the garages). But we will also have mini-split ductless units in some rooms to supplement, and so we don't have to cool or heat the whole house just for the two of us.

I kinda figured it wouldn't be worth the initial cost down in Texas. I would highly recommend that you put radiant in your master bath though. It's awesome! Great project, thanks for sharing.

Thought about it, but decided not to, based on cost and low usage. Our "winters" are mild.

I hope not, but my wife likes it COLD. Plus, per the builder it will take a year or two for the house to reach equilibrium temperature with the soil, so especially for the first year or two we will probably need more A/C.

Our favorite local HVAC contractor did a load calculation for every room in the house, and concluded that it will only take a single 2.5 ton unit for the whole house (~3,900 sq. ft. of living space, not including the garages). But we will also have mini-split ductless units in some rooms to supplement, and so we don't have to cool or heat the whole house just for the two of us.

I've become a big fan of those mini-split units. They work great to augment areas that are hot, like a kitchen. The ones I've seen can be pretty energy efficient too.

Fairly cheap to put the tubing the floors in case you need it later.

Tubing? Wiring is cheaper, safer, faster (both during installation & use), & more efficient. The tile man can put it down if you don't want to, but it's easy. I was right on the verge of doing it in my house, but we weren't sure how far over budget we were, and the electrican said we already had too many circuits, and the HVAC guy said it wouldn't be necessary the way the house is built.

Single-wire generally costs less per sq.ft. and is more-adaptable to shapes & sizes, but matted is slightly less work to install.

The wire is definitely the way to go for a tile floor on an insulated substrate. For a concrete floor, you have too much thermal mass for wire and pretty much have to go for tubing.

The wire is definitely the way to go for a tile floor on an insulated substrate. For a concrete floor, you have too much thermal mass for wire and pretty much have to go for tubing.

Our floors will be concrete, just not poured yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom