Builds Broski's Adventure Rig build thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you still get a temp rise while crawling try my hood risers.
👍When I ran the Dusy Ershim last year I tried running with the hood popped it did not help. That being said I'm picky about things I would have a had time running around with the hood looking like the hinges are bent 🤷‍♂️.
I have a couple more things I'm doing fore this issue but my wife has me on a spring honey do list, Happy wife happy life.
Should be back at it soon;)
The hood risers look well designed, there just not for me.

👍When I ran the Dusy Ershim last year I tried running with the hood popped it did not help. That being said I'm picky about things I would have a had time running around with the hood looking like the hinges are bent 🤷‍♂️.
I have a couple more things I'm doing fore this issue but my wife has me on a spring honey do list, Happy wife happy life.
Should be back at it soon;)
The hood risers look well designed, there just not for me.
I run with my own DIY made hood spacers out of aluminum (as seen on my build thread). I did it last year as I was having heat issues. You won't believe how many people tell me my hood isn't closed. Not even funny and get's really old. I don't like how it looks either but mine is function over form and got use to it already.

When I pop the hood and explain why I have hood like that. Most people cant believe there's a turbo that big under it!

1615393311132.png

These are the other things I well be adding @LandCruiserPhil Fan kit, @Photoman 15% smaller fan pulley and a Koso real time temp gauge.

Thanks Bill & Phil

I think it's time for a up date.
My cooling system has been completely gone through all new OEM except the radiator. Normal driving I have no issue, But low speed crawling with the AC on can be a issue.
The temps well start to climb, I'm comfortable two about 205* when it hits 210* I turn the AC off. If I put it neutral and bump it up to 2k RPMs the temps start to fall immediately.
Most of the wheeling that I do is in the SW desert, I don't like the heat or dust so even in moderate Temps I well have the window up and the AC on.
So may goal is to get it so I can run the AC with out the Temp rising.
So first up When I mounted my winch the solenoid needed to be mounted remotely, but the cables that came with the winch were short as the solenoid was made to mounted on the winch itself, so I took a short cut and mounted it in front of the radiator (bad idea) thinking it would not block to much air flow 🤷‍♂️

It's setting there loose right now but you get the idea.
The plan was to move tit up to the spot were the windshield washer bottle was as the bottle has already been relocated.

Using cardboard I made a template of how i wanted the mount to be, utilizing the three OEM mounting point for the washer bottle.

mounted up now I need to make all new cables

All cables were sleeved with abrasion resistant sleeving and routed cleanly behind the grill.

Rubber grommets were used where they passed through the radiator support .
At this point the winch is hooked back up and working. I needed to get the Reg put back together for a up coming Snow wheeling trip.
More to come.
The biggest improvement to my '94's cooling system capability with A/C on was going to an aluminum radiator. The TYC is best, although it's also the cheapest. But it outperforms most other aluminum radiators for the 80, except the Ron Davis, but that's over a grand $. The TYC is what a lot of the AZ 80 owners run. Kevin (ToolsRUS) did the research. I hate the plastic tanks, but unless you have a grand to spend on an all aluminum Ron Davis, it is what it is. The old OEM copper/brass radiators on the '91 - '94 just can't keep up when you're all armored up with larger tires and want to run the A/C in 95* plus heat.

Also, unless CA emission testing prevents, if you lose the PAIR system, you'll have more room in front of the air cleaner and around your exhaust manifold. You can even move the O2 sensors from the cats to the manifold if you do that. Some ideas to think about.

Had some time to work on the 80, wanted to Finnish up with the winch mods, working on installing in cab winch controls made up this panel
1615777595541.png

Cut the hole to mount it
1615777667520.png

1615777695983.png

1615777733310.png

Made up a wiring harness and started wiring it up
1615777839077.png

Cheers ;)

Well I hit a little Issue, I bought the cool winch in/out switch from OTR switch Guys, turns out the switch is for a 3 wire controller, I have a 5 wire controller.
So I called them up, turns out they have great customer service, a human answered the phone confirmed that I had the wrong switch ( I ordered the wrong one online) and told me just send it back and they well send me the correct one no charge even through the 5 wire one is more money. :)

No issues with the sliders, they have been tested time after time and working as they should. Great mode for an 80 if you plan to run hard trails

1616557090379.png
Well the right switch came back from Otrattw the switch Guys. So I went out and got it wired up and it's working as it should, still have to tap into the lighting circuit so the switch will light up at nite when the light are on, and get everything cleaned up and in it's proper place

Finally got to finishing up the wiring, while I was in there I decided to rewire my power ports. they were wired to a fuse tap (I like to avoid those if I can )

My plan was to tap into the light circuit in the rear heater to light the winch control switch, that got me thinking why not just tap into that for the power port power as the rear heater was removed long ago, I was able to tie into the lighting circuit with out issue, but the power that I found at the switch stayed live even with the fuse removed as long as the key was in the on position, after a lot of head scratching and wasted time I decided to try the plug under the passenger seat where the rear heater used to reside.
Bingo this is where I found the keyed switched 20 amp circuit ,fuse protected.

1617627463128.png

By the time I had everything wired it was a jungle down there.
1617627677531.png

Happy with the way the switch lights up. and happier to have it done!!

Last edited:
Then I started in on Eng. temperature gauge, I went with the Koso for the digital readout and small design.
1617628216625.png

I used epoxy to attach it to one of the blank knockouts in the lower dash for a nice clean look.
1617628395955.png

Drilled and taped for the sending unit in the upper cooling tube.
1617628687269.png

All wired up.
1617628794365.png

View from the drivers seat.
1617628877826.png

Another project crossed off my list. :clap:

Last edited:
Also got my @Land cruiser Phil Fan kit installed, It's a well thought out kit and very complete. That being said my Costa Fabs Bumper has the winch mount tucked in really close to the radiator.
This required me to rotate the housing up about 7 degrees.
1617630545229.png

This resulted in a cut and weld and refabrication of the fan mounting brackets. To be fair the my winch mount design is very unique, spools off the top allowing the winch to tuck in an up much further then most.
1617631208309.png

Modifications complete and in the paint shop.
1617631493132.png

Fan mounted.
1617631807862.png

Really like the factory fan switch, Thanks Phil for the great fan kit !!

Last edited:
Also got my @Land cruiser Phil Fan kit installed, It's a well thought out kit and very complete. That being said my Costa Fabs Bumper has the winch mount tucked in really close to the radiator.
View attachment 2636042
This resulted in a cut and weld and refabrication of the fan mounting brackets. To be fair the my winch mount design is very unique, spools off the top allowing the winch to tuck in an up much further then most.
View attachment 2636057
View attachment 2636063
Fan mounted.
View attachment 2636064
Really like the factory fan switch, Thank Phil for the great fan kit !!
Solid skills on a solid build.....thanks for the support

great build thread RB.

I plan on hitting Phil up myself for the sway bar thing and this fan contraption

Last edited:
View attachment 2636042
View attachment 2636057
View attachment 2636063
Fan mounted.
View attachment 2636064
Really like the factory fan switch, Thank Phil for the great fan kit !!
Rich, let me know how the fan works out for you. Been thinking about adding one to my truck too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom