Builds 'Brightening' a Fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You gonna go ambulance doors next?

What’s the P/N on the air cleaner set-up?

I’ll hopefully pass my 5-year collector plate smog test this year and I’m considering your desmog/resmog approach and then promptly ripping off everything you do to your truck, haha.

on a whim I looked on Megazip that I just learned about from another thread. It looks like they have the air cleaner setup. Brand new OEM....

I think this is the key piece...with this part you could adapt the air cleaner from a more commonly available 3FE housing.

1591281395961.png

I believe the answer is no. It just helps to clean up the engine bay and makes it easier to get at the top of the engine

Yeah agreed here it would be nice to have access to that area without the stocker cleaner setup. Looks great too.

You gonna go ambulance doors next?

What’s the P/N on the air cleaner set-up?

I’ll hopefully pass my 5-year collector plate smog test this year and I’m considering your desmog/resmog approach and then promptly ripping off everything you do to your truck, haha.

Haha I wish ambulance doors were a touch easier to install...theres a pair of NOS ones on ebay. Desmog is great, the stuff that can't be replaced or purchased new isn't worth driving with daily, plus I hate the clutter. I kept the items that I think are value added such as Evap, Fuel Cut switch and distributor vent and I can still add HAC back if I decided to, but I think a quick bump in timing is usually sufficient manually if I'm spending more time at altitude.

on a whim I looked on Megazip that I just learned about from another thread. It looks like they have the air cleaner setup. Brand new OEM....

I think this is the key piece...with this part you could adapt the air cleaner from a more commonly available 3FE housing.

View attachment 2329266

So the hose and the carb top are long long long gone....you can try ordering the air box, but I would assume also long gone, my resources all show out of production. I did find some NOS intake hoses for this particular air cleaner, but thats it.

Air Cleaner setup looks nice. Are there performance gains using this over the stocker air cleaner setup?

Nope, just a much nicer design and easier to service the truck. Not sure why USA deviated from this design just to add two ports for air injection and 4 ports for ventilation of the smog/distributor vent items. The 3F overseas had a few of the connections needed on the airbox 🤷‍♂️

I believe the answer is no. It just helps to clean up the engine bay and makes it easier to get at the top of the engine

RegalRealisticGuillemot-size_restricted.gif
Yep

Last edited:
Bored after 'work' today. After doing my usual stare down of the engine bay, I realized I can use the stock VSV filters on the VCVs. As is, the filters slide on to the small 3mm vac port. For the large 5.5mm port, I removed the rubber insert on the filter and slid two pieces of heat shrink on the port. Not a necessary change, but with the non-usa air cleaner and still running the entire evap/distributor venting system, it is a nice 'oem' method to seal up the ports venting to atmosphere.

Truck doesn't leak, runs well and goes where I want it to....pretty content right now.

5jaeZTHl.jpg

0rSZ4Fml.jpg

V7rws3Gl.jpg

hZ4Ck62l.jpg

wjzgeY0l.jpg

6VMaYhel.jpg

pfCuWcz.jpg

Nate,

Do you know the top radiator hose clamp part number shown here? I ordered two of them from TOYOTA PARTS DEAL but I got 2 of the other OEM style clamps. What I was sent don't work. They don't close enough.

Starting to prep for SAS, did a quick health check and looking good. Waiting on a few boxes of parts then work can commence. Cylinder 3 is just on the edge of my sanity but wet seemed to bring it into alignment enough to let it slide for a while. Might triple check valves but they are solid according to vacuum reading. Going to let this ride and see how long she goes.

CCF462A6-3D41-42E8-BD97-AD00B700F407.jpeg

Last edited:
If it's running good then those numbers are fine for a old 2F

Just swap it into an 80 chassis, motor and all. Steve is great at those!

Better rebuild it just to be safe, you'll have no problem knocking that out in the next 30 days :p

Figure 2UZs pull a premium one month before SAS

If it's running good then those numbers are fine for a old 2F

Running very smooth, did this just to check up before driving long distance on the freeway. Vacuum is solid 20.5 so I will run this until it gets weak or rough.

Just swap it into an 80 chassis, motor and all. Steve is great at those!

Seems like the best idea. Maybe cut the trunk out and put a bed in while I'm at it.

a good read about compression:

I believe the 2F in stock form is 7.8:1 compression ratio. the static calculation for pressure would be 14.7X7.8 = 114 but this neglects that compressed gases increase in temperature and allow for more pressure. The article above references using 17-20 as the compression ratio multiplier which would give you healthy readings in the 125-150 range. My recollection is also that 10% variance between cylinders is ok.

Figure 2UZs pull a premium one month before SAS

Running very smooth, did this just to check up before driving long distance on the freeway. Vacuum is solid 20.5 so I will run this until it gets weak or rough.

Seems like the best idea. Maybe cut the trunk out and put a bed in while I'm at it.

Mine is rusty enough that it may be an option. You're fine!

a good read about compression:

I believe the 2F in stock form is 7.8:1 compression ratio. the static calculation for pressure would be 14.7X7.8 = 114 but this neglects that compressed gases increase in temperature and allow for more pressure. The article above references using 17-20 as the compression ratio multiplier which would give you healthy readings in the 125-150 range. My recollection is also that 10% variance between cylinders is ok.

Correct, I was hoping for consistency and Cyl #3 is the only concern, since vacuum holds solid at idle, I'll assume valves are right but a quick check on cylinder 3 wouldn't hurt. Again, this was only done for curiosity sake, no issues at hand.

Alright so I told myself I wouldn't rebuild knuckles until they dripped grease on driveway. I saw a couple baby drips and figure its best to do it before SAS4. So I jumped into it and currently watching the paint dry and waiting on calipers to show up. Nothing new here. Marlin seals, rebuild kit from @cruiseroutfit misc new bits from Toyota and extended brake lines. And a lot of masking.

hmLz1PQl.jpg

WlwJSMQl.jpg

GWJfNTwl.jpg

8uuXPo1l.jpg

ANqRr8Rl.jpg

0tCsirwl.jpg

4duIudJl.jpg

ozSRFhBl.jpg

BP0AgInl.jpg

XVGtjfsl.jpg

dosapial.jpg

6F1utz6h.jpg