Builds BlackBox w/2F/H55/Split Case? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well you installed the Toybox in your 60, so you know what you are getting into with the complications of a doubler install.
If thats worth 140:1 gearing (5x2.72x2.27x4.55) then it sounds like you have a plan :)
I did... and I love love love it in the 60

And for the 40... ohhhh baby.... 140:1 sounds like big fun! :cool:

Although as I get older I'm CONSIDERING adhering closer to the KISS principle. ("considering" mind you)

SOA definitely needs an anti-wrap bar.

What are you planning for a cooler, or have they fixed that problem?

Don't know.
Don't know!

I'd definitely look into that, especially since you said you wanted to keep it as more of a DD. The blackboxes have a pretty good reputation for overheating oil due to their planetary gears and small oil capacity at high speeds (or any time really, as far as I have heard).

How much suspension travel are you planning on having? Sticking with regular 2.5” type SUA or going to more flexy SOA?

If you go with 95-up U-joints/flanges/yokes (same pattern as all 85-up stuff) they have WAY more operating angle then Cruiser joints (like double) so you will have a much more allowance for angle with the short rear driveshaft.

They’re common and cheap too.
Please tell me about these driveshafts... What applications; Land Cruiser, 4 Runner / Tacoma? Do these shafts have a DC Joint on one end?

You can get 4:1 split case gears.
I just hate that those also lower your high range a little. As I intend to drive this on the street a good amount I'd like to keep the benefit of the fifth gear overdrive, such as it is.

Please tell me about these driveshafts... What applications; Land Cruiser, 4 Runner / Tacoma? Do these shafts have a DC Joint on one end?

Every Toyota truck/SUV. Yes a lot of the 4Runners have DC’s.
The tricky part is that a lot of the late model stuff has odd tubing and a lot of DS shops won’t touch them.

I run a GX470 front DS as my rear on my wagon, i made my front DS myself by cutting the tubing out of another late-model Toyota DS and re-tubing it with scdh 80 2.5” pipe.

For reference, comparing BlackBox to 4:1 SUMO gears to stock...

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 11.23.08 AM.png

Mark,

I have a H41 Orion 4:1 with 4:10 diffs. I am here on the East coast and run the same trails you do I am sure. I have the same first as your H55f. It works out great and 2nd gear is a good option as well. Anything lower would be stupid for what we do. I have thought about swapping in my H55f and doing a 4:1 split case just to get overdrive. I think you will be happy with it.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom