Removing Split TC /Transmission (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1981 FJ40 w/ a 5 speed. Rebuilding the transfer case (seals, bearings, input shaft, etc). I know there are threads on this topic, but maybe not with my specific setup? I have a transmission jack and any tool needed for this job. I do not see enough clearance to remove both the TC and transmission with the rear cross member in the way. If I remove the front cross member, can I angle it downward to pull transmission and TC out or does it put too much pressure on the engine mounts? Any help would be appreciated.

Sadly, Toyota intended those to come out from the inside. They must have been watching Land Rover videos that week.

Sadly, Toyota intended those to come out from the inside. They must have been watching Land Rover videos that week.

Not sure what you mean by remove from the inside? From 1/79 on there is only a inspection cover. The transmission hump is part of the body.

May be possible with our pulling the engine, transmission and transfer case together. At the very least you would need to remove the bolts from the fan shroud. Loosen the front motor mounts. Disconnect the carburetor linkage. Remove the transfer case linkage and transmission shift cane. With a transmission jack supporting the transmission remove the crossmember under the transmission. Lower the transmission to where it would clear the inspection opening. Then support the back of the oil pan on the engine. No way would the engine stay in place with just the front motor mounts. This may work as long as you have the correct 40 series top cover for the H55F. If you have a 60 series top cover it may be to close to the back of the inspection cover opening to work. May not work with the correct top cover. Just be sure as your dropping the back down your watching everything in the engine compartment. Thing like the fan hit the radiator on the bottom.

Missed the year; I had my '77 on my mind.

use the trans jack, remove or unbolt the crossmember and lower the rear to give enough clearance, just watch the fan and radiator clearance
when you get to the proper height, block the oil pan, similar to what guys need to do when putting a 4 speed into a 3 speed rig
being as 81 never came with an H55 the clearances will be tight

I dont think there is clearance with the rear cross member? I will double check.

I agree there is not enough room for back of transfer case to move back and remove. Because the H55F was not available until 10/82 your has been added later. Seems most are from 60 series which complicates matters. Plus the transmission hump changed 10/82 to accommodate the taller five speed. These pictures show how it was taller 10/82+.
IMG_20180812_124946450.jpg
P1050977.JPG

Really depends on how your H55F was added. May just be easier to it allow with the engine. At least your is a 81 with the hand brake on the axle. There is a write up in the stickies at the top of the main page for the 40/55 series where a H55F was installed in a 79 FJ40 using the hand brake on the transfer case. Because how the 1/79+ have a larger fuel tank mounted to the bottom of the tub it makes it harder to relocate the torque tube behind the transfer case and keep the original fuel tank.
IMG_20190610_172936810.jpg

Which top cover does your 81 have? These are 40 series and are further forward.
PXL_20230514_205442692.jpg

This one is from a 70 series which is the same as the 60 series. These will be close to the back of the inspection cover opening.
P1050661.JPG

Personally if I were to cut out the torque tube and weld it back in would remove the fuel tank first to be sure there weren't any fumes to ignite.

Personally that would that would be my last option. From 1/79 that fuel tank and torque tube were in the same location on all 40 series until the end series. So in 10/82 when the H55F was an option on some 40 series the only change was in the transmission hump and inspection cover. While the crossmember under the transmission change a little to get better clearance for the front driveshaft with the longer five speed the L brackets stayed the same. While it's more work Toyota may have figured pulling the engine, transmission and transfer case to do any work on the the clutch back.

Easiest thing is to take out transmission and transfer as a unit. I helped my dad install his 5 speed into his 83, it is tight and takes some maneuvering, but with a transmission jack it was possible. lots of adjusting the jack to get it in. I know we let the back of the engine come down as well to get the input shaft in and lined up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom