BFG KO2 Cracking at 10k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

80psi - these mounted on a 1ton truck?

No. K2500 Chevy 4wd per the install and sidewall recommendation. "E" series tires. Why? Thanks.

was curious- on my Ram 2500 I dont think I ever ran the pressures up that high more like mid 60's- it drove/rode like crap at 80psi. But I didn't tow anything over about 7-8,000 lbs either.

No. K2500 Chevy 4wd per the install and sidewall recommendation. "E" series tires. Why? Thanks.
The 80 PSI number on the sidewall is for max load capacity of the tire itself. For max capacity of your truck your pressure will certainly need to be adjusted. Without knowing the max GVWR for your truck, it's impossible to know the proper pressure, but I'd venture a guess that it's somewhere in the 45-50 PSI range? 80 PSI is guaranteed to ride like a brick, is totally unnecessary, and is likely causing improper wear of your tires. It should not however be the cause of the cracks you pictured - that's still an issue I'd take up with BFG.

This is a very helpful link:
Find the Correct Tire Inflation Pressure
I know it's put out by Toyo, but it applies to all brands of tires. The load inflation table is where you'll need to look to decipher the proper pressure for your tires.

The 80 PSI number on the sidewall is for max load capacity of the tire itself. For max capacity of your truck your pressure will certainly need to be adjusted. Without knowing the max GVWR for your truck, it's impossible to know the proper pressure, but I'd venture a guess that it's somewhere in the 45-50 PSI range? 80 PSI is guaranteed to ride like a brick, is totally unnecessary, and is likely causing improper wear of your tires. It should not however be the cause of the cracks you pictured - that's still an issue I'd take up with BFG.

This is a very helpful link:
Find the Correct Tire Inflation Pressure
I know it's put out by Toyo, but it applies to all brands of tires. The load inflation table is where you'll need to look to decipher the proper pressure for your tires.

Thanks for the info and feedback. Very helpful. While I do agree 80psi is high, it is what is suggested for the 17 in. tire (10 ply E series) load with the vehicle GVW and trailer GVW. We tend to spend a lot of time on highway so I like a stable ride while towing. I've experimented with 60-70 psi but do not like the soggy feel at highway speeds. Here's the rig. Thanks for your feedback!

A60F2B29-CCFC-4240-BE15-54BF0E55BA64.jpeg

Update - Spoke with BFG today and their position is since I put a 17 inch 265 BFG AT load range E wheels/tires on my 1995 truck that was originally spec'd for a 16 inch 245 load range E wheels/tires then they won't do a full warranty on the defective tires. They stated that the 1995 truck was not intended/designed for such a large wheel/tire combination and therefore the tires weren't designed for that use and therefore didn't perform as designed and was basically operator error. They still wouldn't comment on why the shoulder cracking happened. They still offered a "good will" customer assistance warranty to fund 70% replacement cost of the tires, but I would still have to pay for mounting, balancing and tire disposal or approx. $290.

I then talked with my local tire dealer and they offered to install for just the replacement cost of the tires and wave the mounting, balancing or approx. $230.

Needless to say I'm not pleased by this, but I will have the new tires put on for safety reasons. Let this be a cautionary lesson to all those that install no OEM spec tire sizes on your truck, Jeep, land cruiser, etc.......case closed.

I had a case opened with BFG about cracking on my 37x12.5R17s (on an FZJ80) where they made a "good will" offer as well, but the oversize nature of the tires was never even brought up. That's awfully crappy of them to use that excuse, because we all know (as does BFG) that it's a total load of BS. Can you somehow escalate the issue within BFG to get a more reasonable resolution? I certainly wouldn't settle for the current situation...

I was going to be buying a new set of tires next week, ko2's were going to be it. This has made my decision hard now.
We have the KO2's on our old 4Runner. They work perfect. We had them installed on out GX , (Because how well we liked them on the 4Runner) . They were horrible on the GX. We could never get the balance correct. Even after road force balancing (twice). After a few months, going back and forth. They did a warranty and replaced them with a different brand. Night and day difference in the ride.

ADV- the excuse given from BFGoodrich could argued if you wanted to push. I had a set replaced under warranty at the 10k mark for a different concern on my LC that are also slightly oversized for the application and they never brought that point.

I would take the credit and buy a set of Cooper’s and move on.

Update - Spoke with BFG today and their position is since I put a 17 inch 265 BFG AT load range E wheels/tires on my 1995 truck that was originally spec'd for a 16 inch 245 load range E wheels/tires then they won't do a full warranty on the defective tires. They stated that the 1995 truck was not intended/designed for such a large wheel/tire combination and therefore the tires weren't designed for that use and therefore didn't perform as designed and was basically operator error. They still wouldn't comment on why the shoulder cracking happened. They still offered a "good will" customer assistance warranty to fund 70% replacement cost of the tires, but I would still have to pay for mounting, balancing and tire disposal or approx. $290.

I then talked with my local tire dealer and they offered to install for just the replacement cost of the tires and wave the mounting, balancing or approx. $230.

Needless to say I'm not pleased by this, but I will have the new tires put on for safety reasons. Let this be a cautionary lesson to all those that install no OEM spec tire sizes on your truck, Jeep, land cruiser, etc.......case closed.
Just an opinion, but since I've been replacing tires on my own rigs, I've never trusted BFG. Racked my brain as to why - then it came to me. Back in the 60s, my family was on a trip in the family wagon (1963 Pontiac Safari) driving from OR to AZ during spring break. Not a hot time of year. Somewhere in Utah, we stopped for the night and my Dad noticed the tires had a problem. The tread on all tires was coming off in chunks. Brand new BFG tires. I don't recall if he contacted BFG or not (I was like 10 or 12 yrs old), but I remember him saying "I'll never buy BFG tires again". To be fair, that's just one man's experience and it was so long ago, and I was pretty young, but I remember some details like it was yesterday. But reading through this thread, there seems like a lot of owners affected by questionable quality rubber, with relatively low miles. If it were me, I'd consider another brand of tires, especially from their excuse making. Fortunately, there's a lot to choose from.

Need some opinions, please.

At the end of December I bought used KO2s off craigslist for mere pennies and had Discount Tire replace them under warranty because of the cracks. I've put roughly 2,250 miles on the brand new replacement set and I can already see the beginnings of cracks on at least one of the four (granted I'm just bending down to look, without jacking it up or anything).

With only 2K miles on them should I bother bringing them in to be replaced? I'm inclined to do so before any future replacement would come at a prorated price due to mileage/wear, but I'm hesitant because if there really is only one afflicted tire I'd prefer to just keep all four with even treadwear, rather than getting one brand new with three used.

Thoughts?
When you bought the tires, did the seller gave you the original invoice or you just took the tires to Discount Tire and they automatically honor the guarantee from BF?
I also bought a set of brand new tires off craigslist like 9500 miles ago but I did not got the original receipt just a hand written receipt from seller.
Thank you for your input.

When you bought the tires, did the seller gave you the original invoice or you just took the tires to Discount Tire and they automatically honor the guarantee from BF?
I also bought a set of brand new tires off craigslist like 9500 miles ago but I did not got the original receipt just a hand written receipt from seller.
Thank you for your input.
Sorry for the delayed response. The seller did, in fact, give me the original Discount Tire receipt that I then took with me when I had them replaced.

Just over 6000 miles on these. Granted I load my truck up quite often with my camper or firewood but that s*** shouldn't cause a crack like this. I'd like to say I sliced it on something while cutting wood, but none of the roads I've been on lately have been that bad.
20190916_181115.jpg

That’s some serious cracking @rkymtnflyfisher !

I just replaced my original set that I had for over 4 years and 60,000 miles with no cracking at all.

Just over 6000 miles on these. Granted I load my truck up quite often with my camper or firewood but that s*** shouldn't cause a crack like this. I'd like to say I sliced it on something while cutting wood, but none of the roads I've been on lately have been that bad.View attachment 2094086
I'm no tire guy, but that sure looks like a slice/physical damage rather than a crack to me...

Probably due for an update here. After the original set which had the cracks that kicked off this thread were replaced at full amount (less install and balance) at 10k I have driven the second set for about 40k miles with absolutely zero issues and a good amount of tread left. AT KO2's have been great tires for me (despite the original incident).

33x10.5-15 K02.

30,000 miles and purchased in March 2017. Not happy about these cracks in between the lugs.

414CCBBC-A1FE-40E0-9B5A-97AEE7EEB495.jpeg

0517F20A-E44D-4F4F-A622-8ABAF09C3B59.jpeg

That wouldn't bother me at all. I only hope to get 30K out of my KO2's..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom