BFG KO2 Cracking at 10k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

37x12.5R17s - set of 4, all 4 have the cracks. Date codes are 0615 on 2 of them and 0915 on 2 of them. Just over 6k miles on them.

Not thrilled. Any word from your contact, @woody ?

275/70r18 with 5k showing signs of "cracking". Will keep an eye on it. Also have had a helluva time balancing this set.

Ran 4 sets of KOs and they were amazing. This is my second set of KO2s and I have had issues with both sets on two different vehicles. Sad to see BFG try to improve an already great product only to see it backfire.

Update from me: I'm now about 5k into my replacement set of KO2's and the small cracks are appearing again. Documenting everything with my tire guys. I'm going to run it to about 8-9k and go in for the replacement. Keeping the claim sub 10k and 1 year seemed to be the main factor in my first warranty replacement. I'll be sure to follow up as this develops.

The cracks - in a very humble opinion - look like damage from overheated tread caused by underinflation.

Perhaps you shouldn't air down as much as you do?

My theory is that when you underinflate, the tire bends inwards enough that extreme pressure builds in the central tread area, then overheats with the constant rotation flexing the inner tread. Thus the cracking where you'd normally never expect it.

A simple test would be to air down, drive thru a puddle on concrete and look at the resulting pattern after the puddle. If only the outside tread is showing it would support the theory.

In any case - good luck with the replacement.

proper-tire-inflation.jpg

That inward bend exerts a very high compressional force withing the tread rubber in the tire center. Why? The inner casing steel belts don't stretch, so the rubber compound takes the abuse.

Last edited:
No need for a puddle. Make at least a one inch wide line of chalk across the threads, side to side, then drive a short distance. See where the chalk has been rubbed off. That's how I determined the best pressure for my Taco, for my tires.

The cracks - in a very humble opinion - look like damage from overheated tread caused by underinflation.

Perhaps you shouldn't air down as much as you do?

My theory is that when you underinflate, the tire bends inwards enough that extreme pressure builds in the central tread area, then overheats with the constant rotation flexing the inner tread. Thus the cracking where you'd normally never expect it.

A simple test would be to air down, drive thru a puddle on concrete and look at the resulting pattern after the puddle. If only the outside tread is showing it would support the theory.

In any case - good luck with the replacement.

View attachment 1349393
That inward bend exerts a very high compressional force withing the tread rubber in the tire center. Why? The inner casing steel belts don't stretch, so the rubber compound takes the abuse.

I understand that under and over inflation can certainly cause issues, but the issue being discussed here is a rubber compound issue that is known to BFG - whether or not their customer service department will cop to it.

These tires aren't being used any differently than any other brand of tire on a Cruiser, and I think if it were solely a pressure/heat issue I'm sure the cracking would be present on the other brands as well.

Not defending any tire - but almost all tires are built up differently. One can have issues due to compound, belt design, etc. These seemingly minor differences are why one tire wears worse or better than the next. Internal heating is one of those factors.

11 months old and just over 2000 miles and I have the same cracking on my KO2s. Took them back to Costco today and they called BFG. They said it was only cosmetic and said there was nothing they could do. BFG rep said they have had no complaints or recalls about them. I'm a little bummed out, doesn't look like they will work with me.

I have a set of the AT2's on my 60. So far, I am very happy with them!

Keeping this thread alive, I walked into discount tire just now and talked to the gentleman about the cracking on 2 of my tires with about 200 miles on them. They checked them out and determined that there were actually three tires that displayed cracking. They had the tires in stock and replaced all three. Now lets see if these new tires can hold up. Thanks mud for this thread as I think showing the guy helped me out.

Reactions: 85x
Keeping this thread alive, I walked into discount tire just now and talked to the gentleman about the cracking on 2 of my tires with about 200 miles on them. They checked them out and determined that there were actually three tires that displayed cracking. They had the tires in stock and replaced all three. Now lets see if these new tires can hold up. Thanks mud for this thread as I think showing the guy helped me out.

At least they owed up to it, went though hell to get mine fixed and the new set has some visable cracks ;)

Man I love Discount Tire.

Need some opinions, please.

At the end of December I bought used KO2s off craigslist for mere pennies and had Discount Tire replace them under warranty because of the cracks. I've put roughly 2,250 miles on the brand new replacement set and I can already see the beginnings of cracks on at least one of the four (granted I'm just bending down to look, without jacking it up or anything).

With only 2K miles on them should I bother bringing them in to be replaced? I'm inclined to do so before any future replacement would come at a prorated price due to mileage/wear, but I'm hesitant because if there really is only one afflicted tire I'd prefer to just keep all four with even treadwear, rather than getting one brand new with three used.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The sooner the better going with discount tire. I would if I were you, it doesn't hurt to ask for a replacement.

Buy their (discount tire) warranty when you buy the tires and it's typically no questions asked on any failure or problem.

From reading the forums, I thought this was just possibly from a bad batch of tires. But it seems like its still going on and the way these seem to sell, I'd think they're not all from the same batch, no ? I am replacing tires soon and was considering these, but I'm losing my enthusiasm for them...

I've noticed this on my tires since looking at this thread. I'm not sure how big an issue it is however- is it a safety concern, or a tire longevity concern?

These hairline cracks only seem to be at the centerline of the tread- and fairly symmetrical to each other indicating possibly a molding issue where the halves of the tires are vulcanized together.

Lots of K02s rolling around out there, I suppose we would be hearing about it if there were serious failures happening.

Edit: 2-21-17, I went by DT and showed them that all 5 tires were showing signs of cracking to make a record of it. Tech asked if I wanted him to call Michelin warranty support. I said sure why not, let's see what they say. After a series of questions as to what truck, if it was lifted, if the tires were oversized for the truck, how the wear looked and several other qualifying questions- Michelin provided a 85% credit towards a new set. Approx 12k on these tires and 14mo ownership- I think that was fairly handled. Hopefully they have this resolved.

Last edited:
Watching this thread, as I have a set of 5 on my LX and my son has a set of 5 on his Jeep Scrambler.

New addition to the BFG AT crack issue. I have approximately 18 months and 8k on theses and just noticed these tread/sidewall cracks that go all way around each tire on all four tires. These have never been air down and are run at 80psi, just rotated 3k ago with no problems. Will be filing a claim this week.
IMG_4094.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom