Axle - Gears - Lockers GX470 Upgrade Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To each their own

This Toyota dealer is running an additional 25% off sale for OE parts. Free shipping too. I have not found OE parts cheaper anywhere. Bummer you can't look up Lexus specific parts there... but any 4runner parts are game.

I swapped in a complete 8.2 unit and the original rotors don’t fit the new but I don’t think you will have that problem using original axles. What also didn’t fit were the original sway bar brackets to the new housing.

I swapped in a complete 8.2 unit and the original rotors don’t fit the new but I don’t think you will have that problem using original axles. What also didn’t fit were the original sway bar brackets to the new housing.

The sway bar brackets were a concern. That’s why I was debating just buying the housing for a 5th gen 4runner with KDSS from Toyota. My understanding is the KDSS sway bar should bolt right up to it, at least that seemed to be the case for another member on the forum.

Thanks for the heads up about rotors. Will keep that in mind.

You did say KDSS, mine is standard so disregard my comment.

Read this thread extensively last night. It seems that the most affordable swap would be a 2010+ 8.2 from a 4Runner or FJ with stock 3:73 ratio to match my front.

Would this one be a direct bolt in swap or will mods be necessary?

Read this thread extensively last night. It seems that the most affordable swap would be a 2010+ 8.2 from a 4Runner or FJ with stock 3:73 ratio to match my front.

Would this one be a direct bolt in swap or will mods be necessary?
I would look for an Elocker rear end

But did E-locked rears have the 3:73 gear ratio?
5th Gen 4R and 10+ FJ auto have the 3.73 8.2s and have an option for elocker OEM.

I have changed my opinion on gears and 8.2 swaps lately and have recommended going to a GX460 rear AND front for a swap.

You get the stronger rear and a small regear with the factory GX460 being a 3.91 and the 460 axles have not been farmed as hard as the Toyota ones.

Last edited:
Is the GX460 housing a direct bolt into the 470 or will there need to be brackets modded?

Bolt in

Those 470s with KDSS are still limited for 8.2" elocker, boklt-on options though right (is it 5th len 4r kdss sport?)?

Is the GX460 housing a direct bolt into the 470 or will there need to be brackets modded?
If the 460 has air it needs coil conversion. ALL 460s have KDSS so the sway arrangement needs to be sorted.

Those 470s with KDSS are still limited for 8.2" elocker, boklt-on options though right (is it 5th len 4r kdss sport?)?
yes, but if you KDSS delete you can do whatever you like. Just have to sort sways.

yes, but if you KDSS delete you can do whatever you like. Just have to sort sways.
May be a stupid question - if you delete KDSS but want to keep sways (for a swap like this), is it just a matter of removing the KDSS pistons front and rear, then welding in something to attach a second fixed arm to? Or is the fixed arm in the front and rear on KDSS equipped GXs not in the same place as non-KDSS?

May be a stupid question - if you delete KDSS but want to keep sways (for a swap like this), is it just a matter of removing the KDSS pistons front and rear, then welding in something to attach a second fixed arm to? Or is the fixed arm in the front and rear on KDSS equipped GXs not in the same place as non-KDSS?
Non KDSS sway bars are different size with different mounting locations. So if you delete kdss it's the bars all the brackets all the plumbing and valves and pipes etc. You can refit non kdss sway bars into a kdss rig, but I think for the rear axle you'll need different brackets welded on or just a non Kitty SS 8.2 in rear end would have the appropriate sway bar mounting locations already fitted.. I think front mounting locations on the slindle exist for non kdss bars, You just need end links bolts and brackets, bushings etc. But for the rear you need to weld on brackets to the axle for the non KDSS mounting locations, then of course and links and bushings etc.. or as above, getting a non kdss 8.2 inch rear end would have the right sway mounting brackets.

That's my understanding at least 🤔

That's my understanding.

copy that.
Definitely worth considering depending on one's goals and objectives. KDSS certainly has its merits and can have serious limitations, again depending on goals and objectives for vehicle use.
This thread isn't the right spot to fully flesh that discussion, BUT I will leave a good KDSS analysis here for those with KDSS in this rear end upgrade situation (self included).

copy that.
Definitely worth considering depending on one's goals and objectives. KDSS certainly has its merits and can have serious limitations, again depending on goals and objectives for vehicle use.
This thread isn't the right spot to fully flesh that discussion, BUT I will leave a good KDSS analysis here for those with KDSS in this rear end upgrade situation (self included).
if I was looking to upgrade but keep a sway, I would just do an offroad sway in the back and leave it off the front, unless I had an aux tank (which I do) haha. The antirock sway works well on a GX. I ran one until I got the aux tank.

Has anyone swapped to 5.29 rear gears? I found a set for the factory 8" rear on marketplace for a reasonable price already installed in the front diff with a rear elocker that I would need to retrofit. That seems like too much for the GX even on 35s. Thoughts?

Every so often I feel like I MAYBE should have gone with 4.88's instead of 4.56's for 35's then I drive on the freeway and realize 4.56 is the perfect choice for 35's.
5.29's would be way to much for 35's unless you planned on trailering your rig for dedicated rock crawling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom