Axle - Gears - Lockers GX470 Upgrade Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so 5th gen 4R (ergo 150 chassis) has same KDSS RSB brackets on axle as KDSS GX470 (ergo 120 chassis)? but GX460 KDSS brackets are slightly different (outboard). So @JLee, you're confirming KDSS 5th gen 4R 8.2 axle swaps directly into 470s, whereas a 460 KDSS RSB does not (previously reported). Thank you. 👍

GOOD BETA here!!!

A 5th gen 4Runner with KDSS has the same KDSS brackets as a KDSS GX470. Most 5th gens don't have KDSS, so they would have different sway bar brackets.

The part number for a GX460 rear sway bar is 48805-60160: 48805-60160 - Genuine Lexus BAR SUB-ASSY, REAR STABILIZER This part number cross references to 2010-2019 4Runner with dynamic suspension: 2010-2019 Toyota 4Runner Stabilizer Bar 48805-60160 | Camelback Toyota Parts

Based on this I can comfortably state that the rear sway bar is identical between the GX460 and the 5th gen 4Runner. Given that we know that 5th gen 4Runner axle-side KDSS brackets are identical to the GX470 KDSS brackets, and we also know that the 5th gen sway bar is the same part as the GX460, I expect a GX460 rear axle would also bolt into a KDSS-equipped GX470. They do have 3.91 gears vs the GX's 3.73's, though.

The 5th gen Trail w/KDSS is the unicorn GX470 KDSS axle, as you get a locker, KDSS brackets, and appropriate gearing.

Realistically I'll probably get an 8.2 because it's such an easy swap, but there's this 8.4 with an arb from a Tacoma that keeps popping up on my local Craigslist for 1k and it's very tempting. It would be a bit of work to weld all the brackets on though.

As far as I can tell the 8.4 is also stronger than the 8, but I don't know much else about them. Are the flanges the the same?

Ok, so I just purchased an 08 GX470 yesterday and am going through this thread. The question I have is about the front differential. I’m already planning to change to 4.56 in the rear with a locker. What is the ratio on the stock front diff and do I need to also change that to match the rear gear ratio? Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere on the thread. Thanks for this great resource!

3.73 is stock
Front and rear diffs must be the same ratio.
When doing 4.56s you'll need to swap front and rear 3.73 R&P sets out.

Planning to switch over to a GX470 and need confirmation if I can swap over my 4.88’s with harrop lockers front and rear from my 05 v6 4runner. I believe the the rears are the same 8.0 diff but not sure about the fronts. Can some please confirm before I go all in on getting a GX470?

I’m currently taching at 2800@75mph on my 4th gen. Will it be taching the same when I swap the gears over to a GX?

Read this thread, and that led me down a rabbit hole of 4runner and Tacoma threads, ZUK’s site, and pouring over east coast gear supply’s page.

Super paranoid about grenading the rear diff. So my question is this...how serious of a concern is the issue with losing preload on the carrier bearing if you aren’t wheeling seriously? Is dropping the 3rd member and adjusting the preload necessary?
I’m at 110K miles. PO used it to cruise back and forth from the country club in FL. Most intense off-roading it’s seen are some forest service trails along the GA overland traverse.

Have plans to head out to CO in September and wheel / camp with a friend. Nothing crazy, but after reading I’m kinda paranoid.

How real is the risk of blowing the diff with light wheeling on a relatively low mileage GX?

Do I need to pull the 3rd and adjust the bearing pre load, or look into an 8.2 swap before hitting easy trails?

@drowzyGX Stock diff will handle 33" tires and just about anything as long as you don't romp on it in the rocks. I am planning on a 8.2 someday but not until I get some more miles out of my 8".

@drowzyGX
I have 205k on my stock (save upsize tires, a leveling puck for more front clearance and sliders) rig. We've put 50k on it in 4.5 years. Town driving is minimal, lots of highway miles and some wheeling miles. It has 265x70s and did so when i bought it. I'm technically 3rd owner but 2nd owner bought it to flip it., So im confident it has never been wheeled and probably not off pavement ( before me 😈). I live in moab and lightly wheel it around here on moderates to easy difficult trails with confidence.
A-trac is rad, i air down my LT E KO2s and use the torque. I've heard the 8" difff is weak link but I haven't exhaustively read or researched those opinions/experiences so I'm confident that wheeling smartly and not pushing it (like gassing @ full wheel lock, not bouncing off stuff or chirping wheel spin) will keep it from failing. 🤘

I think its totally solid for light wheeling, these are well-built trucks.

Last edited:
@subspd @DRANGED

Thank you both for your input. That’s really good to know. I’m rocking the same size tires as @DRANGED, 265/70 17. Feeling a lot better about the stock diff for my use case. Thinking worst case I rehab the diff a little this winter when the truck can sit for a week. Drop it, new crush sleeve, tighten the bearing per ZUK’s guide.

Dont bounce/ hop it and you will be fine .... from my research on failures ... heavy throttle gets a wheel spinning, it hops off the ground... it comes back down and gets some traction with you still on the gas.... Bang pop clunk clunk.

Air down tires , use low range and lock the center diff .... Steady 2000 rpm in second gear she will crawl up about anything... the ATRAC works great (it makes some weird noises) If you really want a billy goat add lockers.

I did not so common modification with mine. Definetly not as strong as 8.2 swap but this is good enough for my current use.

I put 2016+ Tacoma 4 cylinder or TRD Off Road with Manual front diff that came with 4.30 ratio. Swap the ADD out and just put the axle tube that came from the GX.

2nd gen 05-15 Tacoma 4 cylinder front came with 4.10

For the rear I use 3rd gen 4runner elocker that have 4.30 gear. This is not a straight forward swap since the drive flange too small. 3rd gen 4runner and older have 60x60mm drive shaft flange. 120 series and later use 66x66mm drive shaft flange.

Third gen 96-02 4runner elocker are available with 4:10, 4.30 or 4.56.

Affordable regear to 4.30?

you mind telling me more on how you got the Rear 3rd member to fit and if the flange was just swapped over?

you mind telling me more on how you got the Rear 3rd member to fit and if the flange was just swapped over?
Toward the bottom of the link below is relatively the housing modification I have to do. It's a bit simpler because on the newer axle the surface are already flat. No need to build it up by welding. I use drill and jog saw to cut the housing. It's slow and tedious process but that is what I have.

As for the flange swap, I replace the crush sleeve with solid spacer. The OEM have collapse a bit. The solid spacer with spacer end up a bit thicker than the OEM crush sleeve.

Toward the bottom of the link below is relatively the housing modification I have to do. It's a bit simpler because on the newer axle the surface are already flat. No need to build it up by welding. I use drill and jog saw to cut the housing. It's slow and tedious process but that is what I have.

As for the flange swap, I replace the crush sleeve with solid spacer. The OEM have collapse a bit. The solid spacer with spacer end up a bit thicker than the OEM crush sleeve.

Nice thank you I’m going to try this. The splines in the axle shaft are the same?

Couldn't resist a good deal, so hello Ford 9!
IMG_20201112_165026.jpg

I don't even know if I can make it work yet. Obvious upgrades are disc brakes, 35 spline axles, lower gears, locker, etc. Still figuring out how to make the GX bolt pattern work without too many custom parts. Hopefully Currie still sells their 120 series link brackets.

Worst case scenario I clean it up and re-sell it, best case scenario I don't get booted from Mud for shopping outside the Toyota family :p

The only wiring was for ABS. I really don’t remember if I used the original or donor wiring. My axle assembly came with everything. I think I used the donor sensors since they were newer. It all looked the same visually and I never checked part numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom