Axle - Gears - Lockers GX470 Upgrade Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm starting to ramp up a build on my GX. I have had an 07 FJ Cruiser and an FJ80 in the past. WIth the FJ Cruiser I blew up the rear diff in 32 inch tires. I really think going to an 8.2 is the right call especially with the added weight of armor and the V8 in the GX.

For those that have done an 8.2 swap. Have the all the electronic stuff plugged in? I saw in the thread that the sway bar mounts don't match up. Is there anything else that needs to be done when swapping?

If you get a matching 8.2 it will bolt up. For a GX with KDSS you can even find a 4R with KDSS and it works. If you get an elocker unit you have to buy the harness and button and wire that in. FJ 10+ and 4R 10+ are good targets. If you are regearing you can find a 10+ GX460. The GX460 has a different ratio stock so you can't run it if you don't regear it or all the axles.

If you get a matching 8.2 it will bolt up. For a GX with KDSS you can even find a 4R with KDSS and it works. If you get an elocker unit you have to buy the harness and button and wire that in. FJ 10+ and 4R 10+ are good targets. If you are regearing you can find a 10+ GX460. The GX460 has a different ratio stock so you can't run it if you don't regear it or all the axles.
@Vlad
So you're confirming early 5th gen 4r with KDSS lines up with gx470 KDSS? I thought 150 platform KDSS RSB brackets we're in a different location compared to 120 platform. I know 460 vs 470 are different (also accounting for diff sized RSBs), the former being slight more outboard when compared to the latter.

So GX platforms are a little different regarding brackets, but a 5th gen 4r with KDSS has brackets in the same place as gx470 even though 150 vs 120 overall?

@Vlad
So you're confirming early 5th gen 4r with KDSS lines up with gx470 KDSS? I thought 150 platform KDSS RSB brackets we're in a different location compared to 120 platform. I know 460 vs 470 are different (also accounting for diff sized RSBs), the former being slight more outboard when compared to the latter.
Axle is the same. Chassis side is different.
It would bolt straight up. Need to keep 470 KDSS sway.

Axle is the same. Chassis side is different.
It would bolt straight up. Need to keep 470 KDSS sway.

But my question is, since the 460-470 sway bar and brackets are different (b/c diff size RSB and slightly different mounting location), wouldn't the 5th gen 4r (150 platform) also have the axle-side brackets in the wrong spot for a 120 platform KDSS bar? 🤔

I recognize it's been said before the 5th gen 4r elocker swap is fine into 470s and I may just be overthinking it, but I know the 150 gx460's KDSS bar's brackets are just outboard of the 120's GX470 KDSS RSB brackets...
So maybe it's confirmed for non KDSS that the 5th gen 4r elocker 8.2 axle swaps, I just suspect the KDSS version might not for diff RSB bracket location.

Last edited:
@JLee did it on his.

Last edited:
bah, my bad. I don't have sway bars so all that fancy talk just gets in the way for me :p

So I have a FJ Cruiser with a Currie Rockjock Dana 60 and 2" Long Travel front. Considering going over to a GX470. Anyone see any issues with swapping the RockJock and LT into the GX? What about front Diff swap? My Front Diff is already air locked and geared, so swapping whole front diff over would be something I theoretically could do myself. Anyone se any pitfalls with this?

So I have a FJ Cruiser with a Currie Rockjock Dana 60 and 2" Long Travel front. Considering going over to a GX470. Anyone see any issues with swapping the RockJock and LT into the GX? What about front Diff swap? My Front Diff is already air locked and geared, so swapping whole front diff over would be something I theoretically could do myself. Anyone se any pitfalls with this?
@Vlad needs to weigh in here. 🤘

Front diff will swap over with no issue. You'll just need to route your air hoses to a compressor.

No idea what kind of brackets the D60 required but if it's been running in the FJ, then it will run in the GX.

Edit:
What did you source the 6o from? Are you running lug adapters or 2 different bolt patterns? Did you have to cut the axle length? Most 6o's are wider than tge GX axle length afaik.

Very interested in this swap.

Rock jock 60 will swap over. Bolt pattern should match if its for FJ.
The only issue is drive shaft l. Due to different wheelbase the custom drive shaft need to be extended or buy new one.

Front diff will swap over with no issue. You'll just need to route your air hoses to a compressor.

No idea what kind of brackets the D60 required but if it's been running in the FJ, then it will run in the GX.

Edit:
What did you source the 6o from? Are you running lug adapters or 2 different bolt patterns? Did you have to cut the axle length? Most 6o's are wider than tge GX axle length afaik.

Very interested in this swap.

the axle was bought through Metal-tech years ago. You can get the Rockjock stock width by default, but this one was supposed to be 4" wider complete so it matches the Long Travel front, but ended up closer to 6" wider than stock as the with axle fully assembled(a screw up somewhere). It works out ok with the LT on the FJ but with 305/70/17s its a pretty wide stance. I don't think I would go with this wide of a tire on the GX. The wider axle is a concern of mine. 3" out on each side is pretty significant. Wouldn't need spacers or crazy offset wheels, that's for sure! The bolt pattern is stock 6x5.5 as ordered from Currie. Currie has an FJ Cruiser built D60 so it all matches up. Its a custom dive shaft for the FJ, so would probably need a new one made, or modify stock GX one..

I am really on the fence about whether or not this is a good idea. I would love to reuse my existing components as its a ton of money invested that I would not get but pennies on the dollar back if I sold the FJ as built, but I worry it would end up a silly build with this wide axle. Or maybe it would be awesome? Haha I guess I need to draw some mock-ups. If I reuse these components its a savings of easily $12k or more assuming I replace what I remove from the FJ with functional but downgraded components. A third option could also be to shorten the housing and get new shafts, but not sure how much of a hassle that would be for the return.

I don't know that the GX will accommodate an axle 6" wider than stock. I know several guys have more back spacing with aftermarket wheels without issue but 6" is a lot (at least that is what I tell the wife). **sorry I couldn't refuse**

I am interested about the axle swap into your FJ though. Did you lose the wheel sensors and ABS and ATRAC?

It will swap over. If it is 3" wider on each side you will likely need to make sure you have +offset to keep the tires out of the body. Depends on the setup.

I don't know that the GX will accommodate an axle 6" wider than stock. I know several guys have more back spacing with aftermarket wheels without issue but 6" is a lot (at least that is what I tell the wife). **sorry I couldn't refuse**

I am interested about the axle swap into your FJ though. Did you lose the wheel sensors and ABS and ATRAC?

Hilarious.. :rofl:

There are still wheel speed sensors so these things still work, but I haven't used Atrac on this rig. Normally I am in mud when I need the extra traction, so I just lock the front and back if it gets dicey..

But my question is, since the 460-470 sway bar and brackets are different (b/c diff size RSB and slightly different mounting location), wouldn't the 5th gen 4r (150 platform) also have the axle-side brackets in the wrong spot for a 120 platform KDSS bar? 🤔

I recognize it's been said before the 5th gen 4r elocker swap is fine into 470s and I may just be overthinking it, but I know the 150 gx460's KDSS bar's brackets are just outboard of the 120's GX470 KDSS RSB brackets...
So maybe it's confirmed for non KDSS that the 5th gen 4r elocker 8.2 axle swaps, I just suspect the KDSS version might not for diff RSB bracket location.

I installed an e-locked 8.2 with KDSS from a 2013 4Runner in my 2005 GX470. It was completely plug and play. The KDSS brackets lined up perfectly with the GX470 KDSS rear sway bar.

My standard sway bar required brackets from the donor vehicle., 201x 4runner.

I installed an e-locked 8.2 with KDSS from a 2013 4Runner in my 2005 GX470. It was completely plug and play. The KDSS brackets lined up perfectly with the GX470 KDSS rear sway bar.
so 5th gen 4R (ergo 150 chassis) has same KDSS RSB brackets on axle as KDSS GX470 (ergo 120 chassis)? but GX460 KDSS brackets are slightly different (outboard). So @JLee, you're confirming KDSS 5th gen 4R 8.2 axle swaps directly into 470s, whereas a 460 KDSS RSB does not (previously reported). Thank you. 👍

GOOD BETA here!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom