Axle - Gears - Lockers GX470 Upgrade Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

8.2 in all 460s, no option for locker ever.
2010+ 5th Gen 4Runners have the same 8.2 and only Trial, Pro, and and TRD Offroad models had an elocker option
2010+ FJ Cruisers do too, and have a locker option.

If I find an 8.2 with e-locker but want to re-gear, will that factory locker be compatible with 4.56 gears?

Aftermarket 4.56 and 4.88 gear is available for 8.2 rear axle.
I haven't seen 4.10, 4.30 or 5.29 for it yet. Maybe OEM 4.10 and 4:30 is available from Japan.

Also, if you are considering the 8.2 swap with factory locker and you have KDSS then you'll need the 5th Gen 4Runner with KDSS for everything to line up.

Just trying to summarize for my own benefit:
  • Adding a Harrop E-locker to the stock 8.0 gets you a locked rear, but does not address the 8.0 “weakness.”
  • Adding an ARB rear locker without re-gear to the stock 8.0 results in the same as above, but with air vice electrons.
  • 8.2 swap corrects the “weakness” and can be had with or without a factory locker depending on the donor used (beware KDSS models require a 5th Gen 4Runner with KDSS donor to line up everything) and aftermarket lockers can be added as well.
  • Adding Harrop or ARB with Nitro regear to the stock 8.0 gets you locked and fixes the 8.0 “weakness.” But you have to re-gear the front as well, so you might as well lock the front too while you are in there (wow that’s getting expensive).
  • No need for 4.88 gears if 35” or less tires.
Am I missing anything or get anything wrong?

Last edited:
I broke an 8" with an ARB and gears. It doesn't solve that problem. I will add more when I wake up lol

Just trying to summarize for my own benefit:
  • Adding a Harrop E-locker to the stock 8.0 gets you a locked rear, but does not address the 8.0 “weakness.”
  • Adding an ARB rear locker without re-gear to the stock 8.0 results in the same as above, but with air vice electrons.
  • 8.2 swap corrects the “weakness” and can be had with or without a factory locker depending on the donor used (beware KDSS models require a 5th Gen 4Runner with KDSS donor to line up everything) and aftermarket lockers can be added as well.
  • Adding Harrop or ARB with Nitro regear to the stock 8.0 gets you locked BUT doesn’t fix the weak 8.0 rear diff.
  • No need for 4.88 gears if 35” or less tires.
  • Another option is to get a 9.5 rear built using stock axle shafts via NPHTFJC-9.5
Am I missing anything or get anything wrong?

Fixed it for ya!

If you are going to swap, you need to plan where you want to end up, and what you want to spend.

the cleanest, easiest way to get to "done" IMHO with an 8.2 with KDSS:

TRD Pro, Offroad, or Trail (with elocker) 8.2 housing (KDSS was an option on Offroad and Trail, NOT Pro)
Regear to 4.56 and get a set of 4.56 with a harrop for the front.

The CHEAPEST way to get an 8.2 is to simply find one and keep stock ratios, hope to find an elocker/kdss/etc if you want it. Install and go along your merry way.

These axles are getting harder to find. So if you want to go, get on it soon!

Thanks for the clarification. One can always just buy an 8.2 third member from someone like Just Differentials or East Coast Gear Supply without doing a full axle swap from a donor as well, right? Keep your existing drive shaft, half shafts and everything else in place. That is likely what I will do when I feel the need to upgrade.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. One can always just buy an 8.2 third member from someone like Just Differentials or East Coast Gear Supply without doing a full axle swap from a donor as well, right? Keep your existing drive shaft, half shafts and everything else in place. That is likely what I will do when I feel the need to upgrade.

Swapping an 8.2 into an 8" housing is not possible.

If you are going to swap, you need to plan where you want to end up, and what you want to spend.

the cleanest, easiest way to get to "done" IMHO with an 8.2 with KDSS:

TRD Pro, Offroad, or Trail (with elocker) 8.2 housing (KDSS was an option on Offroad and Trail, NOT Pro)
Regear to 4.56 and get a set of 4.56 with a harrop for the front.

The CHEAPEST way to get an 8.2 is to simply find one and keep stock ratios, hope to find an elocker/kdss/etc if you want it. Install and go along your merry way.

These axles are getting harder to find. So if you want to go, get on it soon!

What about a GX460? They all come with KDSS, right, have have the 8.2? Would that bolt right up to a KDSS GX470?

I don’t think I want a factory e locker anyway; I think I want the Harrop. The gearing being different is annoying, but it looks like I could just re-gear it to 3.73 or re-gear the front to 3.91 out of a manual FJ.

Last edited:
Hi guys, mostly a lurker here but I’m ready to start doing some more serious mods to my gx and a rear locker is in going in this fall. I’m kind of torn between upgrading to an 8.2 housing with factory e locker, or just building the 8.0 in there now. How well would a rebuilt 8.0 rear end from east coast gear supply with a solid pinion sleeve and harrop e locker hold up in a loaded up gx with standard 3.73 gears and 32 inch tires? As I understand the solid pinion sleeve along with the nodular iron diff center of the harrop locker would add strength and reduce gear deflection. And since 3.73 is the thickest/strongest gearset available for to Toyota 8.0 I’m thinking it would be a pretty stout setup. I know the bearing caps are still a weak point of the 8.0, but I really don’t want to spend the extra money for an 8.2 if a built 8.0 will handle my setup. I do wheel hard for sure and push the limits of my truck, but I’ll never go larger than a 32 inch tire. Eventually I plan on locking the front as well.

Right now my setup is an 07 gx470 with full RCI steel skid plates including gas tank, and rear diff skids, bud built sliders, OME suspension, trimmed bumpers f & r, and 265/65r17 K02’s (about to get swapped out for 265/70r17 grabber x3’s). The armor added a lot of weight, and I’m planning on adding more weight to the back with the addition of a drawer system plus all the tools and recovery gear I carry (roughly 250 extra lbs). Do you guys think a built 8.0 would be sufficient, or do I really need an 8.2 the the back?

If you are keeping.3.73 and adding locker then its much better to get elocked 8.2 for the same or less price.

Regearing with that much weight would make a lot of difference in performance. Something to consider and since you are planning to upsize the tires anyway.

I priced out a 8.0 spec’d the way I wanted it vs an 8.2 housing + elocked 3rd member on east coast gear supply’s website and there was an over $1300 difference in price. But it looks like I can get the axle housing + locked 3rd member a lot cheaper from one of the online Toyota parts dealers which brings the price much closer. 8.2 is probably the most bang for the buck for sure so I’ll probably go that route.

Ok, throwing another option into the mix:

For locking the rear, Chilkat has a mechanical actuator conversion for the Toyota OEM e-locker. At $480 its not cheap, but I'm a simple guy and mechanical things really appeal to me (why did you buy a luxury SUV then James?). I've never owned a Toyota e-locker but have heard that they can be finicky. The fact that I'd have to source a wiring harness and rig it up myself anyway means that routing the actuator cable shouldn't be too much extra work (or cost?). The conversion doesn't allow you to lock any faster than electronic (like ARB can), and does require a bulky lever in the cab which is probably a turn-off to many GX owners. Nevertheless, the idea of a cable locker appeals to me so I reached out to Chilkat and they said it should work with the new 8.2 diffs, but they wanted some pics of the housing / third member to confirm. The few reviews of the Chilkat I've found (including here on Mud) have been positive.

Last edited:
Mount that lever in the center console cubby and you wouldn't have to worry about the clunky lever cluttering up the refined luxury interior of our posh SUV's.

Seems like a nice option. Thanks for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom