Are any of you daily driving their 80-Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Before retirement, 5 days a week, 20 miles daily, plus the weekend trips...

I walk by two Lexus to hop in my 80. I even take the 80 back and forth every 5 weeks or so from my home in SC to Northern VA where my business is located. Why? Because I like it. It suits me.

I daily mine 6 days a week. Only thing I trust with my kids in the car while surrounded by prius driving morons texting while doing their make up and updating their twitter account.

I DD my '93. 24 miles roundtrip. I borrowed my brothers '14 corolla while I had my LC down for some maintenance and was miserable. It was claustrophobic, lacked style, had poor visibility and I couldnt fit anything in it.

When necessary it serves as backup for my wifes sequoia as we can fit all 5 kids in it, on those days I ride the motorcycle.

When I want to drive something exotic, its the '67 deuce. But thats not comfortable to drive like the LC!

I DD my 80 to work 99% of the time, 34 miles one way. I've been hit twice in it by A-hole drivers and have been able to drive away during my commute.

Sure, something else might get better mileage, but a beat up looking war rig says I don't brake for compacts.

My commute is only 6 miles a day but my 3FE 80 does that drive most days, the RSV4 on nice days, and if I truly have to the wife's Kia Forte.

How many people are daily driving their 80-Series?

Was curious if all you guys have other vehicles that are easier on gas, smaller, etc. for daily commute to work and shopping and what not? Are these "toy/project" vehicles for most people on here or do some use them on a daily basis? Are OEM parts affordable/still being made for the most part or is a bunch of it discontinued (like Toyota recently did with the beloved MKIV Supra)?

I am looking to pick up an everyday truck and wanted advice how realistic it is with an 80.
Daily driver in Los Angeles. Been hit a few times already, would not want to be in anything else on these roads (or off). The major components on these trucks run forever, but replacement parts can be had if need be, from boneyard or several yards/sellers online. And as NLXTACY says, we don't discuss mileage in this house.

I walk past my '12 Tundra to drive a rig I love more, fits me better (like the lower seats & room around my elbows.

Plus my goofy boxer (dog) - can do whatever slobbering, hang his head out the window of his 'seat' (2nd row PS) & he can tell the sound of my Tundra keychain or the 80 keychain (goes nuts over the 80 keys). It's even a good ergo to pour water slowly so he can catch a drink, with slobber & excess water just running down the door when you're standing outside letting him get a drink.

The Tundra is a great truck, but if you drag dogs along the 80 wins all day long.

So yes, I DD my 80, even when minor 'clunks' need fixing.

And I do love that Tundra if I wasn't dragging my lil' buddy - he even likes that rear window in the crewcab that slides down- but he flat curls up & sleeps in the 80 which near never happens in the Tundra. He knows the 80 as 'home' too if I was to give a Ceaser Milan guess.

80's you own long enough become like that fave ball glove you had as a kid, or 1 particular bicycle you swear was taylor fit to you.

I walk past my '12 Tundra to drive a rig I love more, fits me better (like the lower seats & room around my elbows.

Plus my goofy boxer (dog) - can do whatever slobbering, hang his head out the window of his 'seat' (2nd row PS) & he can tell the sound of my Tundra keychain or the 80 keychain (goes nuts over the 80 keys). It's even a good ergo to pour water slowly so he can catch a drink, with slobber & excess water just running down the door when you're standing outside letting him get a drink.

The Tundra is a great truck, but if you drag dogs along the 80 wins all day long.

So yes, I DD my 80, even when minor 'clunks' need fixing.

And I do love that Tundra if I wasn't dragging my lil' buddy - he even likes that rear window in the crewcab that slides down- but he flat curls up & sleeps in the 80 which near never happens in the Tundra. He knows the 80 as 'home' too if I was to give a Ceaser Milan guess.

80's you own long enough become like that fave ball glove you had as a kid, or 1 particular bicycle you swear was taylor fit to you.
I still have the glove from my father's intermural softball league that he burned my name on back in the 70's.

My other car is a 500+ HP Jaguar, so in addition to trail work, the Cruiser does DD duty in the winter and Home Depot and dump runs in the summer.

The Jag doesn't wheel for s***, I tell you what.

How many people are daily driving their 80-Series?

Was curious if all you guys have other vehicles that are easier on gas, smaller, etc. for daily commute to work and shopping and what not? Are these "toy/project" vehicles for most people on here or do some use them on a daily basis? Are OEM parts affordable/still being made for the most part or is a bunch of it discontinued (like Toyota recently did with the beloved MKIV Supra)?

I am looking to pick up an everyday truck and wanted advice how realistic it is with an 80.
This same question comes up every 2 years or so and the answers you see here are typical for this forum.
The choices for a daily driver/commuter car should be based on practicality. An 80 is not a practical commuter vehicle by today's standards. The newest one is now 20 years old so maintenance history becomes an issue. Even the most well maintained and cleanest one will require parts/work/money because parts wear out. You need to factor this into your cost of ownership, and reliability could be an issue depending on what you wind up with.

That being said, I have daily driven an 80 Series for the last 26 years. I bought my 91 new and picked up a 97 LX450 a few years ago. Personally, I wouldn't consider a different vehicle and while I monitor fuel consumption, I'm not ruled by it. My wife has a '16 BMW 3 Series which occasionally takes care of my "go fast into turns" needs, but I've outgrown the need to do that every day.

I spend a good amount of money and time keeping the 97 looking and feeling good and it turns heads wherever it goes. I also get this really stupid smile on my face whenever I'm behind the wheel.

Last edited:
Daily Drove my 96 for 14 years until last week. Never failed me once. Not once. Only reason I swapped cars is because I want to drive it forever and was putting stupid miles on it plus I got a steal on a Volvo. Now it's my weekend driver...and whenever the Volvo breaks down. Old reliable. Farmers can't be without their tractors. But really, the right tool for the job will always serve you best.

I have a 97 that has been DD for the last 9 years since I bought it. Just got another 97 to be DD for my wife. I don't have a long commute and neither does she so that helps, but when looking for a second vehicle neither my wife nor I could come up with a vehicle that we would prefer.

There is no logic to driving an 80 series for a daily driver. But, as many of us know, once you have one, its pretty easy to let the passion take over. I drove my Piggy almost every day for over 25 years. I have had the 80 for 7 years, and I have put over 100,000 miles on it.

DD it about 15,000 a year including cross country for contract work. I could get something smaller and cheaper. But i enjoy driving the 80. So why limit that to off road trips or weekends?

There is no logic to driving an 80 series for a daily driver. But, as many of us know, once you have one, its pretty easy to let the passion take over. I drove my Piggy almost every day for over 25 years. I have had the 80 for 7 years, and I have put over 100,000 miles on it.

We don't have time for logic here!

Actually, there is sound logic behind DD an 80.
1) Physics - Bigger is better
2) Low cost of maintenance - Incredibly durable and easy to work on.
3) Reliability - Unmatched reliability.
4) Enjoyability - It freaking makes me smile, every damn time I drive it!

Ok, so maybe #4 isn't logic but life it too short to drive a Prius or Corolla!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom