Any updated double din installs lx450/fj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pioneer MVH 1400NEX here. Replaced all 9 speakers with Focal including the subwoofer in its factory location. ARC audio Xdi 1100.5 to run it all from other the drivers seat. LOVE IT.

IMG_7057 2.jpg

yes.

Someone needs to test out the new Double Double DIN from soundstreams to see if it works in our cruiser dashboards.

I believe the Pioneer has dual camera support. Here is a link to the specs

AVIC-8200NEX - Flagship In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 7” WVGA Capacitive Touchscreen Display

It mounted right up using the brackets I pulled of the factory radio. No trimming or nodding was required to the dash trim. This harness made it pretty much plug and play:

Direct wire harness for Pioneer Headunits (fits Toyota and Subaru) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078GBDRVX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7WB8Ab8SACXF1

You will have to run wires for the backup camera, camera power and ground, reverse sensor, and parking brake sensor, but that’s all pretty simple.

The link you posted wouldn’t open for me, Is this the wire harness you used:
https://www.amazon.com/Direct-harness-Pioneer-Headunits-Toyota/dp/B078GBDRVX

Its been a few months, are you still pretty happy with the new pioneer 8200 headunit? I’m considering it in my 80, let me know.

The link you posted wouldn’t open for me, Is this the wire harness you used:
https://www.amazon.com/Direct-harness-Pioneer-Headunits-Toyota/dp/B078GBDRVX

Its been a few months, are you still pretty happy with the new pioneer 8200 headunit? I’m considering it in my 80, let me know.

Hey Jen... the link you posted is correct. It should work just fine for you. The unit bolts right up without any trimming, using the factory brackets from the OEM radio.

A couple of notes... my factory amp was bad, so I just ripped it out. I didn’t jump or make any bypass wires that I’ve heard other people describe. Seems to work fine for me.

I replaced the door speakers in the front and rear and deleted all the other speakers, including the factory sub. The sound is fine for me. There are audio geeks here that will chime in to say how terrible that is, but I’m used to listening to my two factory door speakers in my 60 and they are fine for me as well.

As for the stereo.... I love it. The longer use it, the more familiar I have become with its capabilities. It definitely modernized the 80 to current standards.

My gripes are that the screen is highly reflective and hard for me to see in the sun. If you’ve tinted your windows, this might help, but I have the factory tint still. I have heard that the next model down has a different screen that helps, but you lose some of the crispness and touch sensitivity of the higher end screen.

My next issue is that the software can be glitchy sometimes, especially with the Apple Play mode. Sometime the system won’t recognize when my phone is plugged in. This could be an issue with my phone though.

On the plus side, the Bluetooth connects right up every time and hands free Phone conversations sound clear on both sides.

The rear view camera works great and the unit has the ability to adjust the parking guides to dial in exactly the way you like.

Any other questions, just ask... if you have install questions, PM me.

I’ve read that Pioneer and Alpine are harder to defeat the emergency brake safety. My only experience is with Sony which you simply ground the brake trigger behind the radio and you’re good to go. If using the harness from Crutchfield (and I assume others) the factory amp must be disconnected.

I’ve read that Pioneer and Alpine are harder to defeat the emergency brake safety. My only experience is with Sony which you simply ground the brake trigger behind the radio and you’re good to go. If using the harness from Crutchfield (and I assume others) the factory amp must be disconnected.

I grounded the brake wire to the stereo bracket. I haven’t tested the functionality of that yet, but I can tell you that the pioneer gives me an onscreen warning about it. I suppose the GPS senses the car is in motion while the brake wire is grounded.

Any more pics/details about how that iPad is mounted?

Part numbers and install of 6 camera switch and selector on my build page. I got it from another (smarter) mud member and I love it. I need to replace my cameras but the dial has worked flawlessly for years.
Builds - Arizona Jeff - Build Thread

fosgates fit no prob in front doors or did they need spacers?? look rad
These specific ones needed spacers. Used some 3/4" MDF to cut some rings.

Any more pics/details about how that iPad is mounted?
Two simple Cellet magnetic phone mounts. Inexpensive and they work really well for an iPad mini. Stays solid even when rallying the truck hard. I have one for my phone and two for the ipad. You can see both in this pic of my son at the wheel.
IMG_1145 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Can see all three mounts at the top of this pic.
IMG_4244 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I recently installed a Sony xav-xa5000 in my '93.
Super easy install. Fits the OEM hole like a glove, used the OEM, ISO mounting brackets, no modification needed.
I spliced into the original harness.

The sound quality, even through my OEM speakers is great, far superior to the old stereo.

I'm yet to connect into the E-brake, so i hadn't been and to name full use of Android Auto yet. But Bluetooth works great for phone calls with the Mic supplied.
I'm yet to figure out how to pair two phones though

I recently installed a Sony xav-xa5000 in my '93.
Super easy install. Fits the OEM hole like a glove, used the OEM, ISO mounting brackets, no modification needed.
I spliced into the original harness.

The sound quality, even through my OEM speakers is great, far superior to the old stereo.

I'm yet to connect into the E-brake, so i hadn't been and to name full use of Android Auto yet. But Bluetooth works great for phone calls with the Mic supplied.
I'm yet to figure out how to pair two phones though

Connect the light green ground wire to the metal support behind the stereo and you can access all features and avoid tapping into the e brake wiring.

I just put in a button on the center console so I could trigger the e-brake and a second button for the backup camera activation. It takes too long to go through the graphic interface in order to manually turn on the camera and i don't need it often to backup. The buttons was just "More better" for both of those features.

The Alpine I have has HDMI in and I use that feature while the vehicle is in motion making using the e-brake tap-in impractical. Plus i don't believe in hacking in to wires that don't need being hacked in to.

I think the ebrake trigger is to ground and the camera trigger is to positive... I could have that backwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom