Almost Killed myself with a hi-lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've used my hilift with good results. I'm always watchful and don't just expect it to work like jackstands or a bottle jack.

I hold on with both hands and stand just to the side of it. If you remember that it's always one second away from grenading in your face (like working around a spinning lathe, etc) I think you'll be in a good place.

Haha I agree but sourcing one of those takes time and it sounds like the original poster was in the middle of a project. The HF unit has worked well for me but like most guys I'd like to have an old Walker or Snap On unit from 30+ years ago and rebuild it with new seals, etc..

I did end up with some old Walker jackstands from my dad, who got them from his dad, probably built in the 1950's. The cheapo Autozone ones I also have look like a joke in comparison.

Haha I agree but sourcing one of those takes time and it sounds like the original poster was in the middle of a project. The HF unit has worked well for me but like most guys I'd like to have an old Walker or Snap On unit from 30+ years ago and rebuild it with new seals, etc..

I did end up with some old Walker jackstands from my dad, who got them from his dad, probably built in the 1950's. The cheapo Autozone ones I also have look like a joke in comparison.

I have some Torin ones that aren't too bad, but I've been eyeballing these from US Jack Co : https://www.amazon.com/US-JACK-D-41610-Garage-Stands/dp/B00P248NYO

Is this supposed to be some sort of parody? The whole thing looks staged. He moves his hand out of the way just as the handle starts to come up. Watch it in slow motion.

I'd like to have an old Walker or Snap On unit from 30+ years ago and rebuild it with new seals, etc..
Zack, i agree with you, there is nothing like good old American iron. I've got a 2 ton Walker floor jack that's at least 30 years old sitting in my shop right now, it's waiting on a rebuild. The nice thing is, you can still get parts, and seal kits for these old jacks. I've got another floor jack, it's an old Hein Werner that I've owned since the 1960's. Quality tools like these are build to last.

Hi-Lift jacks can certainly be useful, but I swear...they have a mind of their own and are just waiting to hurt you.

I doubt Satan himself could design a tool more likely to turn on its owner/user. ;)

^^^^^ And that's if the thing is working properly.

You darn sure want to keep them clean and well lubricated. If the climbing pins or springs are not in tip-top shape, then you are just 'asking' for mishap.

Operator Error accounts for most injuries . I'm actually less afraid of my chainsaws than I am my Hi-Lift Jack.

Both are unforgiving, so be careful.

What in the Sam Hill is this guy trying to do?

Looks like he's trying to roll tree trunk over his grandpa and collect his $1,755 inheritance.

My Slee rear tire carrier has a Hi-Lift mount on it. When I get it re-powder coated I'm going to cut the mount off and toss it into the bushes next to the jack. :)

Ain't the cheapest alternative, but I absolutely love this thing...
Big Wheel Jack "The Beast"

img_6803.jpg

Glad it didn't take your jaw off. There are specific operating procedures, practices you do in specific order every time all the time.

The HiLift is an awesome tool, but it commands a level of attention and respect. I took a recovery class and they spent a good hour & half focused on hands on HiLift operation, recovery scenarios etc. Biggest thing I learned is stand to the side while operating, keep your head out of the path of the handle, and keep the hand holding the jack on the outside of the jack_ not between the handle and jack. Understanding the operation of the locking mechanism is important, especially as you shift from raising to lowering the vehicle.

HiLift has some good instructional videos here: Instruction Manuals

You sir, are correct! Late to the party. It’s a great to jack. Worth the peace of mind.

Do you take it with you or is this used at home, seems kinda large to drag around inside the truck?

I don’t have one personally, but have used them both in the garage and in the dirt. Love the extendable cup to reach lifted axles. These are very popular amongst the desert racing crowd. Weights about the same as a Craftsman aluminum race jack. Pro Eagle also makes a mount for their jacks to attach to swings outs and in-bed carriers.

I don’t have one personally, but have used them both in the garage and in the dirt. Love the extendable cup to reach lifted axles. These are very popular amongst the desert racing crowd. Weights about the same as a Craftsman aluminum race jack. Pro Eagle also makes a mount for their jacks to attach to swings outs and in-bed carriers.

Can see it used to change tires in the pits, don't see it's usefulness for a stuck rig?

Can see it used to change tires in the pits, don't see it's usefulness for a stuck rig?

Yeah, and I'm still hung up on what appear to be plastic wheels and rubber tires. What on earth? Yes, I absolutely use jackstands 100% of the time but it's still a problem for a truck to fall unexpectedly while you're putting them there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom