Almost Killed myself with a hi-lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to get my rig high enough off of the ground and up on jack stands to replace the rear springs I somehow got between the jack and the handle lowering it onto the stands I lost grip on the handle setting it down and it got me in the Jaw hard enough to knock off of my glasses and hat off my head.

Where is a good resource for using a Hi-lift, I've watched a couple of videos and thought I had a grasp on how to properly use it I was sadly mistaken?

You were probably operating the lift properly, but they can slip when ratcheting down. At least all the ones I've used did, on occasion. I've heard that a liberal application of lubricant can help.

Glad you're ok.

I tend to think of Hi Lift Jacks as an invaluable resource when the proper resource isn’t available. And like the silent gaze of an angry woman, extreme caution should be practiced at all times! Glad to hear your injuries were minimal.

We had to use one getting the arse of a vehicle around a canyon bend last year, I probably got on people's nerves when using it about how dangerous these things are, but the dangers are very real!

Hi Lift, a last resort device which demands respect!

Regards

Dave

Treat it like a chainsaw...don't look down the business end ;)

They're called a "widow maker" for a reason! Keep your head away from the handle. I use them as a very last resort, as a jack. As a come-along, they're pretty safe.

Trying to get my rig high enough off of the ground and up on jack stands to replace the rear springs I somehow got between the jack and the handle lowering it onto the stands I lost grip on the handle setting it down and it got me in the Jaw hard enough to knock off of my glasses and hat off my head.

Where is a good resource for using a Hi-lift, I've watched a couple of videos and thought I had a grasp on how to properly use it I was sadly mistaken?
I've done that, knocked me on my ass!

Didn't we already have this conversation with you a while back?

Did it hit you hard enough to make you remember what NOT to do next time?

If you can see the handle, you better have a hand on it.

That's the only way I treat it if it has deserved to come down off the swingout.

Time for a harbor freight 3 ton floor jack, they go on sale all of the time and work great for the shop.

Save the hi lift for the trail.

I use a harbor freight floor jack and jack stands. When I am under my truck, my life in the hands of these implements, I am always second guessing the integrity of these items. Likely assembled by a six year old in a third world country that hates me :skull: :meh::p

Last edited:
^
Tip the tree in the direction he wants it to fall I suspect just looking at that still shot......

I own a hi lift. I attempted to use it once, to practice. I have never used it again. It goes with me but I will walk and beg a heep owner for help before using it.

Last edited:

Lol, wow! My ex had the same thing happen when she was operating my hi-lift so that I could reseat a front coil on the trail. Told her to watch out because it had a vicious up swing at times. Of course being a country girl with horses and a general know it all she bragged about knowing how to use a "farm jack" and gaffed me off. She took the jack handle straight to the chin and it knocked her off her feet and laid her out on the ground. She was so stunned that I had time to get to her, check her for other injuries and pick her up before she started bawling hysterically. I almost got crushed too, when she took flight the jack handle had enough bounce it started rapid auto-decent. Hi-lifts are not a safe jack, meant for trail use only and by those not faint of heart. Glad to see nobody died and you retained your teeth.

The proper way to use a hi-lift is with extreme caution. Always have the jack pointed slightly into the vehicle and the jaw blocked by something solid to prevent sliding. I use it against the plate portion of the tow hooks. Think of how the vehicle will lean when lifting and where to situate the jaw to best block it from sliding sideways. Make sure the base is flat on the ground and the jack pointed slightly then opposite direction the vehicle will lean when raising one corner. This helps the jack achieve a more vertical side to side position when lifted. Pump the handle slowly when letting down, put your weight over the handle sideways palms down and use your body weight. when operating the jack stand cross body to the handle.

Edit: I just watched that video, that guy is an idiot. And the jack letting itself down when he smashed his fingers isn't what mine did when the ex smashed her jaw...only quicker

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom