Almost Killed myself with a hi-lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have never had one hit me, I have used train jacks and never been hit, because I respect them right away

I look at Hi Lift jacks as being no more dangerous then any other tool, be it a chain saw, or a Hi Lift jack, they both demand your undivided attention to operate safely. Another important point i always pass on to new Hi Lift jack owners, who have never operated their jack before. Is to set it up in their driveway, get accustom to operating it there FIRST, before they ever have a need for it in the field. Trying to be a first time user of a Hi Lift jack on the trail, is not only dumb, but it can be down right deadly not only for them, but other people standing close by!

Last edited:
They're called a "widow maker" for a reason! Keep your head away from the handle. I use them as a very last resort, as a jack. As a come-along, they're pretty safe.

Don't be silly, for most, the proper use is a decoration, prominently displayed to let others know you are a "serious wheeler"!:hillbilly:

I would much rather use a bottle jack and a flat rock on the trail, hi lifts are scary, I just make sure to keep a wide berth from them when operating. Also be aware that they are not stable and the truck may fall off the jack. I would never use it to do garage work. Get the proper shop tools to lift a car. Lot's of people die every year this way.

I bought an x-jack for this reason. I think I’ll toss some sort of jackstand or stackable wheel chocks to keep me from getting squished. I already know one person who didn’t make it out from under his truck, I dont want to join him.

OI000259.jpg
OI000258.jpg

I went to a 4x4 show the other day in Pomona with a Overland bound member. Saw lots of these there. I ended up getting just the attachment for my existing jack. Worked great for when I did my caster plates. At least at home or in the shop it offers a controlled way up and down. I had never seen these before. So simple but gets the job done.

Any jack can be dangerous. Farm jacks actually have an advantage in that you don't get under the truck to employ them. That being said, I'd use a bottle jack to change a tire over a farm jack whenever possible, just because it's easier to get the axle high enough. Farm jacks are useful in many recovery situations. Use the right tool for the job, and know how to use it.

View attachment 1552882 View attachment 1552883
I went to a 4x4 show the other day in Pomona with a Overland bound member. Saw lots of these there. I ended up getting just the attachment for my existing jack. Worked great for when I did my caster plates. At least at home or in the shop it offers a controlled way up and down. I had never seen these before. So simple but gets the job done.

Labeled "4x4 Off-road jack".

Looks like it's probably ok on a flat concrete surface, but off-road!? No thanks.
Plastic wheels, and lots of leverage on that extendable schlong.
It's not looking like it would cope with a lateral load on an uneven surface. Even jacking up one corner of a 3t rig in the shop can put a fair bit of lateral load on a bottle jack.

Its meant for off road vehicles, not to be used off road I would imagine...? And in this particular thread the OP was trying to swap out springs. Something like this allows you to get the body of the vehicle high enough off the suspension to do that. The Jack "schlong" locks into the jack plate at the bottom. I would not rock it back and forth nor would I trust it with my life though because of rhe lateral forces like you mentioned. Still have to lift the vehicle then get stands under the frame as added safety measure.

is this the thing Jeep owners u bolt to their hoods right by the windshield? yeah in an accident that's dangerous af!

View attachment 1552882 View attachment 1552883

or a wood block

Best place for a high lift is in the box and in the garage where it's never to be used. I look at them like I look at an unloaded gun. They say it's unloaded but you still handle it as if it is.

I use my hilift on trail work nearly every time I guide a group, but used it only once at home. Bottle jacks are for home use.

Our organization does teach HiLift useage for a reason, it can be dangerous if misused. But fast and awesome for recoveries when used correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom