Builds Alaskan Cruiser build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Saw these on Facebook, thought interesting at the least, and then showed them to my wife

Her reply was "wouldn't they mess up the ground clearance"

... I'm so proud 🥲

FB_IMG_1683345137558.jpg

Member in the classified section did me a solid on my missing windshield brackets.
Little thing I didn't realize I was missing, but now I have.
Thanks @78fjryan

Topper is going to be it's own post running project later on. So don't look at that rust 🙈🙈🙈

20230428_182839.jpg

20230511_184325.jpg

Member in the classified section did me a solid on my missing windshield brackets.
Little thing I didn't realize I was missing, but now I have.
Thanks @78fjryan

Topper is going to be it's own post running project later on. So don't look at that rust 🙈🙈🙈

View attachment 3320640

View attachment 3320642
I just ordered myself a set of those brackets. Didn't know they were missing until I hit 50mph and the roof started to get a bit bouyant. 😂

What rust? I see no rust...

Diy - fabricated door swing limiter
Made some door limiters at the shop. only had one, and it was damaged, in all 3 of my part rigs to go off of.
They didn't end up perfect, but few things in life are. I'm happy with em.

20230516_105200.jpg

20230516_113718.jpg

20230516_120431.jpg

20230516_163531.jpg

20230516_165653.jpg

20230516_170209.jpg

Last edited:
Prepping to travel 300miles again into interior Alaska for for parts next week.

Buying the pallet of seats, and an old 'Con-Fer?' back seat.

Pretty excited to have benches in the ol' Mut.

But, then it does look like I'm stuck with two bucket sets, and more long jumpers. Worth it.

received_265541859192460.jpeg

received_236602758991989.jpeg

But, then it does look like I'm stuck with two bucket sets, and more long jumpers. Worth it.

View attachment 3328932

View attachment 3328933
I don't have jump seats in my 40. Where did you find your seats? I'm in NP and if you knew of a source for parts I'd love to hear about it.

I don't have jump seats in my 40. Where did you find your seats? I'm in NP and if you knew of a source for parts I'd love to hear about it.
I'm not sure how much stuff he actually still has, seems like a past time that he's selling for bulk. Me and another guy whent in last time 50/50 for all the body parts. Now I'm going in for a pallet of seats.
Ill see what he still has when I get up there and get his business card for ya.

Got quite a few sets of jump seats, all the longer ones if your looking.

I have that black and white seat... I think it came out of scout 800 originally. Got it from a buddies ranch that had an old border patrol scout as a hunting vehicle. I added some square tubing and angle iron to each side to use it in a fj40 since it was narrower.
hth,
Will

View attachment 3328932

View attachment 3328933

Just picked up my seats.
Definitely need reupholstered, but got a '72 set like I wanted. And extra buckets, jump seats and two 60/40 passenger seat&frames, all I won't be needing...

But...
Noticed hoses coming out of the center back. It's not in the diagram, and not seeing any info on them. Idea while I drive back to kenai before I tear into em?

118A2.JPG

20230528_165459.jpg

20230528_165517.jpg

Got home and took inventory of the loot from today's 400+ mile round trip.
Decided I'm using the matching 60/40 bench in the back left, it will definitely need reupholstered.

Hopefully move these seats in state before putting up for sale here. Then sell my complete bucket setup that I currently have.

20230528_213242.jpg

When is the firing date for your rig? Hopefully sometime this coming month of June👍🏽.

Be sure to video it! And share. After my rebuild, it was surreal to hear/feel it fire up and run for the first time in decades. Happy day!☺️

Got home and took inventory of the loot from today's 400+ mile round trip.
Decided I'm using the matching 60/40 bench in the back left, it will definitely need reupholstered.

Hopefully move these seats in state before putting up for sale here. Then sell my complete bucket setup that I currently have.

View attachment 3334787

Nice score….

When is the firing date for your rig? Hopefully sometime this coming month of June👍🏽.

Be sure to video it! And share. After my rebuild, it was surreal to hear/feel it fire up and run for the first time in decades. Happy day!☺️
Definitely plan on recording it, probably in July. That's when I have 9 weeks off for our firstborn. Like to think I'll have free time before to fiddle around, won't have much time after I think.

Really looking forward to hearing it run!

Been fiddle farting here 'n there as I have time.

Working out the PTO shaft and header exhaust clearance mostly, almost have it ready to weld back together and install the pto shaft.

Also scored an original pto shfter, and under bench toolbox locally, so woot! Can't wait to install.

Today I went back to a non-original color 'moss green' and I'm definitely liking it more then 'spring green'

20230611_155609.jpg

Last edited:
Got home this afternoon from working locally, not offshore or across the inlet like normal lately... And well, I did a thing.

Oil topped off, check!
Ignition is hot, check!
Spark, check!
Fuel to carb, check!

Nothing is adjusted or timed as of yet, this was purely ignition from carefully installed parts. Fine tuning definitely to come very soon! Along with probably a choke cable as the prior owner cut it too short to reach the Aisin.

Ultimately, I am super happy everything came together the way it did and it popped off so easily without major diagnosis or problems.

Been having a lot of rain where I live, so took a few nice sunny days opportunity to one, go camping! Probably the last overnight camping of the summer with our 1st baby due on the 21st. Very exciting! 😃
received_1400255930517672.jpeg

20230708_183921.jpg

Once we got home from our trout catching weekend, I took the last two days to diagnose the no shut off issue I had, was a backfeeding problem, found it by pulling each fuse individually with the key off, until it died, I've disconnected the alternator white and red 'excit/energiser' wire and will be adding the one way diod as another forum post recommended.

Bled the clutch, and front brakes to get it turned around and in the garage under it's own power as I didn't want to rely on my darling wife at 39 weeks preggers to steer while I pulled/pushed it back in. Was pretty excited to have it drive under it's own power(all though only front wheel drive, rear drive line isn't connected and planning to swap the 76 rear axle)

Got it in the garage and timed better, now idles around 800rpm or lower if I had to guess by ear, will be timing better very soon.

Also split the transfercase and transmission to install the PTO drive gear, then installed the PTO gearbox and OEM shifter and adjusted everything before the climax of cutting a hole in the transmission hump.
Turned out pretty well, however haven't taken many photos, so I'll be uploading those later today.

Next up is either the fuel tank & filler or rear axle swap... Or baby 😜

Last edited:
Been having a lot of rain where I live, so took a few nice sunny days opportunity to one, go camping! Probably the last overnight camping of the summer with our 1st baby due on the 21st. Very exciting! 😃
View attachment 3374893
View attachment 3374896

Once we got home from our trout catching weekend, I took the last two days to diagnose the no shut off issue I had, was a backfeeding problem, found it by pulling each fuse individually with the key off, until it died, I've disconnected the alternator white and red 'excit/energiser' wire and will be adding the one way diod as another forum post recommended.

Bled the clutch, and front brakes to get it turned around and in the garage under it's own power as I didn't want to rely on my darling wife at 39 weeks preggers to steer while I pulled/pushed it back in. Was pretty excited to have it drive under it's own power(all though only front wheel drive, rear drive line isn't connected and planning to swap the 76 rear axle)

Got it in the garage and timed better, now idles around 800rpm or lower if I had to guess by ear, will be timing better very soon.

Also split the transfercase and transmission to install the PTO drive gear, then installed the PTO gearbox and OEM shifter and adjusted everything before the climax of cutting a hole in the transmission hump.
Turned out pretty well, however haven't taken many photos, so I'll be uploading those later today.

Next up is either the fuel tank & filler or rear axle swap... Or baby 😜

Very nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom