Builds Alaskan Cruiser build (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my rear crankshaft seal in.

Looks like the same size eyeballing it, but I have a felt ring on what assume is the outside (towards transmission) that is not on the original. To my understanding spring always goes towards pressure(in this case the engine).

Confirmation this is correct?

National # 231004

View attachment 3279601

View attachment 3279602
Scratch that, just found it's a improved design change that happened in 1985. Dimensions are the same, and spring does go towards engine.

Do my research before asking questions next time 😅

Get OEM seal. Not worth the hassle with aftermarket ones.
Been using national for years, done comparison runs with both oe vs national.

Having sold national for over 11 years I have fairly good faith in the product and saw very low return rates for warranty.

Not a argument against buying OEM, I 100% agree buying OEM for quality, especially in brakes, mechanical and particular other products. Especially brakes.

Federal Mogul has a very high quality control imo, especially if purchasing the name brand vs the contracted store brands that will buy products and say they are the same. Oriellys 'precision' parts for example (lower quality control by national, different manufacturing specifications) or red line vs. blue line carquest named parts. Most of Carquest Blue line parts are actually OEM parts, some are not, but most are like new alternators or chassis parts.

No auto part store brakes match manufacturer brakes tho... Fact

Well the 2F is nestled in...
Some very toit spots I'm going to play with around the throttle linkage/breakbooster and air filter/master cylinder.
Also, engine mounts are slightly different, so I'll be drilling the old mounts out to accommodate the bigger bolts tomorrow.

20230417_192836.jpg

20230417_192726.jpg

20230417_192736.jpg

20230417_192744.jpg

20230417_192805.jpg

Love the color of the engine, and the bib. Send it!

2F install
Well, it's in completely. Ended up removing the nipples on the original mounts bushing to match the flush later year mounts off the engine. Bit of tinkering and finishing things as I move towards to radiator.

Really getting excited to fire it up... 🤞

20230418_185316.jpg

20230418_185308.jpg

20230418_185258.jpg

Went out to my yard and pulled two speedometer cables.
The 76 won't work because of the 'clip on' connector.
But the 71 will (I think) I'm having issues identifying this harness attached, reverse switch??? Any help appreciated, sorry it's not cleaned up yet.

20230420_152344.jpg

She sits again until I get my planned house projects are done, or until I get back from next hitch.

Engine is ready for a test run however I will be doing another once over before I'm ready to fire it up.

Wiring is 90% hooked up, and verified functional minus the taillights.

Still have the fenders and fuel tank door to address ono major body work...

Overall getting there.

20230420_171219.jpg

20230420_170808.jpg

20230420_170752.jpg

Went out to my yard and pulled two speedometer cables.
The 76 won't work because of the 'clip on' connector.
But the 71 will (I think) I'm having issues identifying this harness attached, reverse switch??? Any help appreciated, sorry it's not cleaned up yet.

View attachment 3303314
Speed generator, wires are connected to "computer" under dash. It's an emissions thing. Most just remove it and run a longer speedo cable. The 10" speedo cable is NLA, but I have found Toyota PN 83710-12461 works and is about right length (it's from a AE9 Corolla)

Speed generator, wires are connected to "computer" under dash. It's an emissions thing. Most just remove it and run a longer speedo cable. The 10" speedo cable is NLA, but I have found Toyota PN 83710-12461 works and is about right length (it's from a AE9 Corolla)
Thanks for the info!

I ended up finding out the cable before the 'speed generator' was too short by its self, so I have the entire assembly in right now just unplugged. The two wires are alternatively connected to the reverse switch on the 4speed.

Likelihood of me swapping to another speedometer cable in the future is high, but it works for now.

The reverse light works off the speed generator ?
Anyone know if you can use the speed generator as a VSS for LS applications ?

I have no idea why the reverse wires went to it. Who ever had that rig before me did some chop work so it doesn't surprise me. The rig I took it off also didn't have emissions so 🤷‍♂️

Either way it's in until I go back through everything like that at a later time (works for now) someone wants dibs on it when it's removed lemme know.

I have no idea why the reverse wires went to it. Who ever had that rig before me did some chop work so it doesn't surprise me. The rig I took it off also didn't have emissions so 🤷‍♂️

Either way it's in until I go back through everything like that at a later time (works for now) someone wants dibs on it when it's removed lemme know.
I may take it!

Any ideas on the manufacturer of the header I'm using? A modified/split Mark&Downey?

Someone on a Facebook post asked on my PTO clearance with headers, had to make some modifications, luckily it's a 3 piece header so I loosened the lower collector and was able to move it to clear the PTO shaft. It's tight but doable.

20230319_152928.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom