Builds Alaskan Cruiser build (23 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ907Warrior

SILVER Star
Threads
After striking gold on a 71, 72 & 76 in various stages of decay after sitting in moist Alaska surviving min of 20 years of winters and summers I found out I was either going to be cutting them up and building a half decent tub that was going to be ugly or I would need to find a decent tub locally. Not an easy task in Alaska. Finding decent cruisers, they come up for sure, but finding parts.. I found out this was the hard part.

Regardless I finally scored a 69 tub w/title in decent minimum rust condition 300 miles away, day trip. The project started soon after I was off hitch from work.

Started by prepping a frame, it was already torn down to bare Bones. Made it somewhat easy. Unfortunately I was not able to treat the frame as I wanted to, wanting to either sandblast the inside of the channels or acid dip it. Everyone I've heard of in Alaska has shut down or was not able to sandblast the inside of the channel. Knowing I would be tearing this apart next summer for a more thorough rebuild, I opted for doing what treatment I could now and redo it next summer.

Currently I've swapped the disc brake running gear from the 76, the engine, transmission and transfer case. Got the engine running, sounds great! And started to install body panels so I could mate the dash back to the tub as they were cut in half.

I also decided to use the steering column from the 76, so I had to weld in the steering column mount to the firewall. And I've been doing some other body prep.

After spending about a week and a half on it, I got to get some other projects done during my 3 weeks off. I'll be picking this back up when I get back in September.

Thoughts questions and tips always welcome!

IMG_20220816_142633.jpg

IMG_20220816_142655.jpg

IMG_20220816_142822.jpg

IMG_20220816_142842.jpg

Finally picking up the project again.

After dismantling I removed the welded (by someone else) dash, and earlier peddle mount.

Also propped the un-modified dash that's replacing the old one.

20221104_112314.jpg

20221104_125524.jpg

20221104_112306.jpg

Firewall - brake/clutch update
Cut out the older brake/clutch firewall section, and welded in the booster and newer peddle section.

Was very nervous with this part, measured and measured again to ensure it was going in just right.

I'll be making some adjustments, rust removal and painting areas I normally couldn't get too, before the new dash goes in.

20221104_142703.jpg

20221104_152142.jpg

20221104_170004.jpg

Last edited:
At this rate, you'll be done in no time. Keep up the good work!

Would have had this done way sooner today if I hadn't tried welding aluminum 😅 (idjoit)

Got some slices to weld in tomorrow, give it a final touch, then try and make that rusty transmission pan work long term.

Didn't have a floorpan to reference, used a section of (I think) FJ80 tailgate panel for the front section of the floor pan.

20221107_165208.jpg

While welding up my floorpan, I also worked on restoring (to my best) the upper safety pad. Stealing some pieces from one out of my 78.

Ended up pretty good. Glad I don't have to fork $500+ for this thing 😅

20221107_121821.jpg

Changed gears and didn't work on the transmission cover. Not sure I have my plan figured out quite right yet.

Worked on the seat brackets instead.
Every front seat bracket had to be repaired due to rust, like a inch or so of reconstruction. Spent the day, not only rebuilding the brackets, but making sure they mounted exactly where they belonged. Which required multiple runs to my cruiser parts yard next door for measurements of the floorpan that was designed for bucket seats.

Made the minor change, reversing the direction of the rear seat mounts. No a huge difference, but made it easier to access the underside of the bracket and was more appealing to me.

Fyi, I'm not the greatest welder. But I made it work in guess 😅

20221108_170153.jpg

received_1188824051843410.jpeg

20221108_170836.jpg

20221108_170853.jpg

From what I can see of it, your shop looks almost as messy as mine. Looks like you're still making good progress, though. What's the black coating you've put on the floor, paint or some other kind of coating?

From what I can see of it, your shop looks almost as messy as mine. Looks like you're still making good progress, though. What's the black coating you've put on the floor, paint or some other kind of coating?
Yeah, it's clean until I do something. Then it explodes 😅

Anything black is a spray on bed liner, I've used it in the past with decent results.

Started as a frame 3 months ago... 🤯

So much to still do, but finally shaping up as she gets rolled back into the corner as I get ready to go back to work.

40 series cruiser might all look the same (or similar), but it's a delusion, almost everything that has gone on from the 4 doners has had some difference which has made me go back 2 steps in the project to figure out how I'm going to make the "best" part work.

Ultimately, I'm very happy with its evolution so far. Like to think I'm over the mountain, but don't want to jinxs myself. 😅

Be back in 3 weeks for the next push hopefully with putting her into gear and driving for the first time.

20221109_164130.jpg

20221109_164047.jpg

20221109_164104.jpg

265/75/17 & M/T wheels from my 01 Tacoma (got new rims& rubber) look pretty snazzy on her. Think they're going to stay 👌

20221111_112615.jpg

Took some stuff into work to fix.

Straightened out the front bumper, it looked like it had been hit at one point and then pulled with a chain. It was pretty bad.

20221118_091750.jpg

Also, aluminum brazed a dent in the early 2F cast aluminum I got damaged. First time doing anything like that with aluminum so pretty satisfied with the repair (knowing it couldn't have been a total fail)

20221118_123259.jpg

20221118_161046.jpg

Been a good stretch of time since I worked on the old gal. Recently found out we have our first kid on the way WOO HOO 🙌
Definitely been a game changer, however I did get a few days to button up some stuff. Mainly wiring harness stuff, but made good progress.

Clutch hydraulics ✅
Brake hydraulics ✅
Throttle cable ✅
Front heater ✅
Rear heater ✅
Blinkers ✅
Wiper motor ✅
Headlights ✅
Hazards ✅
Ignition ✅

Bunch of little things that seem to take forever getting just right, or how I like it.

Started it via the ignition switch, might have a rod knock (or a weird 'thump' in relation to the engine rotation), definitely prepping mentally for a rebuild. Engine was sitting for roughly 20+ years, will be changing the oil first due to it being extremely dirty, even after a oil change already. Plan on cutting open the recently new oil filter with a pipe cutter and see what we have in it. Has good oil pressure via the gauge, already checked good compression at all cylinders and the valves are definitely getting oil. Might end up being a valve adjustment (watched a video with a similar noise and ended up being in relation to timing and valves like a prefire?) or rod bearings, don't know yet.

Now she sits yet again, until I get back and have that hankering to dive into it again.

Thinking radiator is next, coolent hoses etc.

20230203_163529.jpg

20230203_163518.jpg

Been a good stretch of time since I worked on the old gal. Recently found out we have our first kid on the way WOO HOO 🙌
Definitely been a game changer, however I did get a few days to button up some stuff. Mainly wiring harness stuff, but made good progress.

Clutch hydraulics ✅
Brake hydraulics ✅
Throttle cable ✅
Front heater ✅
Rear heater ✅
Blinkers ✅
Wiper motor ✅
Headlights ✅
Hazards ✅
Ignition ✅

Bunch of little things that seem to take forever getting just right, or how I like it.

Started it via the ignition switch, might have a rod knock (or a weird 'thump' in relation to the engine rotation), definitely prepping mentally for a rebuild. Engine was sitting for roughly 20+ years, will be changing the oil first due to it being extremely dirty, even after a oil change already. Plan on cutting open the recently new oil filter with a pipe cutter and see what we have in it. Has good oil pressure via the gauge, already checked good compression at all cylinders and the valves are definitely getting oil. Might end up being a valve adjustment (watched a video with a similar noise and ended up being in relation to timing and valves like a prefire?) or rod bearings, don't know yet.

Now she sits yet again, until I get back and have that hankering to dive into it again.

Thinking radiator is next, coolent hoses etc.

View attachment 3238390

View attachment 3238396
You've done a great job at this rebuild or sure--If someone(not me) can help with how to post an audio of the engine noise--bet someone can help with that too--did you try the cold valve adj procedure?-that should get you really close to where it should be--at least close enough to not have major advanced or retarded spark that could cause the 'prefire' you speak of.
Did you toss the old drained oil yet? If not run it thru some cheesecloth to see if you find any metal particles--if so, the pan will have to come off the find the source--

Last edited:
You've done a great job at this rebuild or sure--If someone(not me) can help with how to post an audio of the engine noise--bet someone can help with that too--did you try the cold valve adj procedure?-that should get you really close to where it should be--at least close enough to not have major advanced or retarded spark that could cause the 'prefire' you speak of.
Did you toss the old drained oil yet? If not run it thru some cheeseloth to see if you find any metal particles--if so, the pan will have to come off the find the source--
Haven't touched the valves yet, or really timing (beyond timing by ear lol, lots to tune in that aspect) first time I started the engine up a few months back was right after I changed the oil the first time. Didn't notice the noise, at least then.

Good idea and straining the oil, I'll keep that in mind when I get too it.

Below is a video with a similar sound, not my engine however, and the quality has much to desire. I might record a sample tomorrow and look into uploading.

Could probably be that I need to buckle down and actually tune the engine like. It runs and fires right up so I've been holding off and working on other things. 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom