Builds Aimless build: 60 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anybody ever done a tin coating on gas tanks?
Theres a tinning place in Hubbard that does gas tanks, they claim it’ll fix all rust issues an such. The process is cheap compared to buying a new tank, so I’m considering it. But it’s snowing here so I’m holding off on dropping my tank, I wasn’t designed for cold weather.

Anybody ever done a tin coating on gas tanks?
Theres a tinning place in Hubbard that does gas tanks, they claim it’ll fix all rust issues an such. The process is cheap compared to buying a new tank, so I’m considering it. But it’s snowing here so I’m holding off on dropping my tank, I wasn’t designed for cold weather.
Do they remove the tank and sandblast all the rust off and recoat the tank?

@Hojack it depends on the rust/crud build up in the tank, they either use a chemical strip or they out source to another company to have it cleaned and stripped. Then they dunk the whole thing into molten tin, clean it up and return it. Sounds pretty cool, they do everything from pans to meatgrinders.

Either way they claim online that it will cost the same. At this point I’m basically just trying to beat $850, which is what it costs for a new tank. Having a custom fuel cell built is an option I’m willing to consider as well. This rust particulate is destroying my injectors and fuel rails, which are expensive to replace as well...

Well thanks to Cruiser parts...

I have a new, to me, gas tank. I’m hoping to tackle that this weekend, it’ll be cold but worthwhile. This is one of the few times in recent memory that I’m directly replacing something on the Cruiser and not modifying or upgrading it.
It’ll be really nice to have full tank capacity and not have to be replacing gas filters every 50 miles.

In other news, this happened, not sure how I feel about it though, any opinions?

It’s a unique look... I also added some tabs for fog lights in the space just to either side of the winch as well. I think those will look really nice, and maybe tie in the upper lights....? I dunno.

Alrighty, much has happened. I took some trips, broke some stuff and fixed some stuff. Good times, and I think the Whale is in much shape better than ever before.

So first off I took a trip from where I live in Dallas to Sunriver Oregon, it was a big family shindig so it was not a wheeling focused trip. However, we were still able to get a little gravel in our travel.

The drive over to Sunriver is about 2.5 hours so I was pretty loaded down, I made the trip with my brother albeit in separate rigs.
Cline Butte offers some of the best rocks and wheeling out that way so thats where we usually go. Unfortunately since we weren’t really there to get serious we didn’t really air down or set a lot of time aside for it.

Not many pictures.

At this point I was fighting some major fueling issues, I assumed my fuel pump was the culprit, however knowing that my injectors were still an unknown factor I was wary of just buying a new fuel pump. So with some careful driving I made it the 2.5hrs home, barely making it over the Santiam pass and nowhere near keeping up with traffic.

Once home (March 26ish) I decided to check my injectors first before forking over the cash for a new fuel pump. After a lot of testing and checking I determined they were definitely not functioning optimally, so I had two choices, new injectors or clean the old.
I was able to find a low miles used rail with injectors at the local G&R wrecker for extremely cheap (turns out they’d been sitting on them for about a year, lucky me!). So I rushed home to install them, if only, wrong injectors. Basically there are a few different types of injectors used by GM and Chevy over the years. They are all physically interchangeable so long as the wiring harness is changed to be compatible with the different connectors Jetronic with the EV1 connecter, the early GM LS connector (not super common apparently) and the mini-delphi connectors with are more modern. I’m sure there are others as well, correct me if I’m wrong please.

“Lucky me” had the weird GM LS connectors.

So after a lot of homework and some legwork I determined to cut my injector connections off and solder on the newer, better Mini-Delphi connectors. This isn’t recommended for many good reasons, but my options were slim.
That done, the Whale fired up better than ever before, ran smoother than I’d ever heard it and has heaps more power. Overall a very satisfying way to complete that project.

Until I noticed this...

Last edited:
My sketchy suspension was due for some serious attention, not a surprise really... Boots4 and Cruisermatt both mentioned the poor materials used and overall bad construction.
Having just lost access to shop space and welder however I wasn’t in a position to tackle the project myself so I contacted Adham over at Hamms offroad and we figured out a plan. I’ve worked with Adham many times and he’s always excited to work on the Cruiser and he does high quality work.

We decided to keep my front springs (4” lift springs for a 1985 3/4 ton Chevy p/u) and swap Suburban 63s in the rear.
Per usual he went above and beyond.

0ED5D8A5-EF9C-44F1-A242-FE036E2935A2.jpeg

710C61B4-49F9-44DF-A66E-935BE65BF0BC.jpeg

1EF222A9-1DD0-4962-BA44-10EB8D6F95DA.jpeg

That’s basically up to date. I’ve got an trip planned for the last weekend before fire season, after that I’ll be pretty busy. I’m stoked to see what this thing will do, the Trail Whale rides again.

Looks better overall, also looks like you went with a shackle reversal up front. Now having driven the same rig with both suspension designs which one do you like better in your setup?

Your on the right track now, looks like you had quality work done. So many strange parts choices you have had to un-do, chaindriven slip yoke T-case, steering box swap that makes zero sense, etc. At least you're working through issues.

Thanks @boots4, honestly I’d say for daily driving I don’t notice much difference. But undeveloped roads and going fast over bumps I definitely noticed it’s more predictable. I don’t know if predictable is the right word exactly, but that’s what it feels like. I like it, it’s much stronger, and helps my approach angle.

Agreed, thanks @cruisermatt. Don’t get me started on that np208 slip yoke nonsense. I’d really like to make an eliminator for it... but at the end of the day I’d rather put that time and money into simply replacing it with a superior unit. A Rover t-case comes to mind :hmm:

@tmxmotorsports absolutely, definitely my first choice for tcase swap, if I could find one cheap enough. A 205/203 would be very cool. A Rover case would still be cool though....
Realistically though it’ll probably be some time before I am able to focus the necessary funds to do that sort of upgrade unfortunately.
Currently on my upgrade list is an anti-wrap bar. Otherwise just keeping it reliable through fire season as a daily driver and trying not to blow all my money on it :lol:

Radiator started leaking. So I bought a new one, a Cold Case from Summit Racing.
It basically dropped in with the same set up the old rad had. Had to modify the tabs a little, it's basically 2 square channels on the bottom and a couple clamps on top.
It seems secure so until the brackets have issues I'll stand by it.
My temps aren't much better however, in traffic I'm sitting at 205 and on the highway 194. The highway temp is okay but the traffic temp makes me uncomfortable, so I'm looking into solutions, any thoughts from anyone?!?

IMG_8400.JPG

solutions to what problem? Your water temps are completely normal.

Drove a 06 Yukon xl for years ran 210 all day long no matter if was snowing or 100 degrees front and rear ac going windows down sitting at idle

I judged off of the previous temps I observed. After reading your comments and then checking around I realize your both right. I totally should have done my research before making my first comment. Thanks!
I have some fixes coming up and, hopefully, some upgrades in the works.
Im also going to try to stay a bit more up to date on this thread, so bear with me please!

Snows coming down on the mountains here in Oregon. Almost snow wheeling season!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom