Builds Aimless build: 60 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Holley ECU? Did you buy a Terminator? If so, good choice.

Holley ECU? Did you buy a Terminator? If so, good choice.
Yes indeed, I hope your right! Everyone has told be I’m going to love it but it’s so pricey I am still a little nervous.
I think either way it’s the right move though, I’m looking forward to greater flexibility and tune-ability. Finally get the ol girl running right.
In your opinion Matt, what’s the longterm viability of a 60 series tcase behind my 4.8L? Everything I’ve read seems to indicate they'd be fine and it’s a cheaper option than a 205.

I haven’t had an issue yet other then melting the plastic speedo gear a few times from going >100mph

I haven’t had an issue yet other then melting the plastic speedo gear a few times from going >100mph
Sounds manageable to me, cool. That seems like a strong option, unless a 32spline 205 pops up near me for a realistic price.

Nice to have ya back updating your thread.
haha, yeah, winter and spring had me busy and low on funds. But I’m back now! Fire season!

Well my Holly Terminator ECU showed up today!! So now the project begins, I’m hoping to have it chipped away in my evenings and be basically done by Saturday.
Then I’m moving on to planning out a 2-link rear setup and pulling the trigger on transfercase.
Also might do some PRP seats...
Its getting wild up in here.

Sounds manageable to me, cool. That seems like a strong option, unless a 32spline 205 pops up near me for a realistic price.

haha, yeah, winter and spring had me busy and low on funds. But I’m back now! Fire season!

Well my Holly Terminator ECU showed up today!! So now the project begins, I’m hoping to have it chipped away in my evenings and be basically done by Saturday.
Then I’m moving on to planning out a 2-link rear setup and pulling the trigger on transfercase.
Also might do some PRP seats...
Its getting wild up in here.
I look forward to hearing more about the Terminator. As I have been researching for a possible future swap, that has stuck out as the way to go.

I might have a lead on an np205.
I’m starting on the Holly Terminator tonight, unless I have to drive somewhere to get the 205.

I wish the Terminator X existed when I did my 62 swap. I still may change it over one day if i make some major changes.

I wish the Terminator X existed when I did my 62 swap. I still may change it over one day if i make some major changes.
Yeah, I’m liking it so far, it’s a really well put together kit. If I ever get around to putting a charger on this motor the Holley will be even more worthwhile. Otherwise it’s going to really help clean up my engine bay and wiring harness shenanigans.

Old harness is out, planning out the Holley install. Technically it’s basically the same thing back in but I want to make this install look a little more professional so I’ll take my time with the install.
E703FEEC-389B-4C3C-9E61-7B0C0E7DD6C2.jpeg
AD085771-6B09-4D03-8C72-EB8DE2B699AF.jpeg
14195315-AD59-4FE4-A1D0-78E80C91CCFC.jpeg
355DF689-14DD-4A66-AD1B-6EE5598473A9.jpeg

First impressions of the Holley Terminator is pretty good! It’s still learning and there is a lot of annoying little tuning things that are still being worked out. It currently won’t blip and idle wanders a bit but I’m going to throw all new plugs at it. Probably needs a full tuneup anyways.
Otherwise out of the box I’ve noticed some substantial power gains, the engine runs stronger and if I can scrape some more mpg out of it than I’m calling this a major win!
The tuning setup was a breeze as well, very easy.
The only major complaint had was there was no provisions made for my alternator, my old harness had all that built in. I sort of expected this one to have the same. I also had to add a manifold air temp sensor, but that’s pretty easy with the truck manifold.

48292DDF-E9AB-4A70-BF84-2CD74534EC4C.jpeg

Sloppy mechanics makes a alternator plug-in for the Terminator

203/205 incoming sooner rather than later.
The next couple months I’ll be slowly putting everything together, my plan is to minimize actual downtime for the rig being torn apart.
I was torn between an ORD doubler and a Northwest Fab kit, but I think I’ve settled on the ORD set up.
It should be a fun project.

It wasn’t a “fun” project, but it’s back on the road.
Photo dump incoming.

Late November I started removing the loudly protesting SM465 and NP208 from the truck. I assumed from there it would be a simple matter of reinstalling my spare 465 and then attaching my 203/205, then building a crossmember.
Anyways, obviously that plan was FUBAR.

Something I noticed immediately with the ORD 203/205 doubler kit is that the instructions leave a lot to be desired, for the money spent I would have liked a little better pictures and explanation at a couple key points. Either way though I figured it out, assembled the cases and strapped it up into place with ratchets. I think another thing I completely underestimated was the weight of the assembled unit. The 465 is, of course, cast iron, as is the 205. Added to that is the range box and doubler adapter. Even with jacks and two people it was a bear, ibuprofen is recommended for the after party.

By this time it was February and with the work space I had available it wasn’t feasible for me to build a crossmember, between work and planning a wedding my time became even more limited. As such I hauled the Cruiser into RJs Chassis in Salem and let Jim do the fabrication. Russ and Jim are grade A guys, I think I’ve known them now for about 8-9 years, always quality.

Jim came through on the crossmember and I brought it home. Had driveshafts made by Full Torque (another good experience) and installed those by mid February.
Its a driver again so I built a trans-tunnel cover, filled the cases with oil, installed the triple stick shifters, and took it for a spin!
Only to find out the new/old transmission probably has the same bearing issue my old one had. My radiator is broken (again) and my clutch wasn’t working.
Clutch was an easy fix, just needed rebleeding, new slave and readjusted. Radiator is being replaced as of currently and I’m hoping the trans lasts a few months until I can rebuild it.
And that’s to current! Now for pictures.

43441923-0EF6-4BCA-B695-375B859BD481.jpeg
E1FF5F0C-1F57-4659-B879-0FF39528030A.jpeg
3A7DC47F-E3D5-4DF9-B6B6-320F196945D5.jpeg
84196553-D65B-411B-94CE-56A5576ADD78.jpeg
BFB17D87-144F-4C23-B51D-535EB2E44971.jpeg

Dang that thing is really hanging low. Couldn’t bring yourself to cut the whole floor out?
Also, where did you end up putting your ECU?

I think if I had bought a clocked adapter it would have been a lot tighter to the floor. I’m not sure cutting it out would have helped to much there is still room, but the 205 is a big unit. As it is I have 20” at the lowest point and 22” at the rest. Im headed out this weekend to put it to the test.
The ECU is mounted on the passenger side, below the glovebox. It’s not a great spot but it does the job for now. And that allows me to keep an eye on it and it’s little green lights.

F3C6E2C8-1A49-43D7-B90C-76E6906DEC9B.jpeg
44440763-09F2-4ECA-97B6-9E8F8F2667C6.jpeg

what bellhousing do you have and what's your motor mount situation? solid mounted 203/205 on one end and aluminum SBC bellhousing on the other, the 203/205 is going to win that battle. Keep a close eye on your bellhousing and 203 bolts. I shattered my bellhousing in last year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom