Builds Aimless build: 60 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

3505BAD0-CB66-4CDC-AE97-40C56FCC817E.jpeg
Took much longer than I anticipated... but...

Think of the weight you'll be losing and the space you're gaining. Gonna look nice

Ha, yeah that’s basically what I keep telling myself... over and over and over again.

Update, with the amount of figuring required to fab the engine mounts and trans crossmember, I decided to take the Cruiser to a shop I trust for this stage. They will fab my engine mounts in the new location and build a new crossmember/skid plate for the transmission/transfer case.
I looked at it every way I could think of and decided this was the most sure-fire.

After he has finished that I will wire and final everything else. And then get started on all the other issues and projects.
This is hands down the most project I have tackled to date and I’m starting to realize I’ll have some serious money into this in a very short amount of time.
But the market for these rigs is only increasing so I believe it will be worth the cost if I suddenly decide to sell it once it’s “finished.”

Dropped the Cruiser off at Hamm’s, he hopes to get started soon on the fab for engine mounts and trans mount.
Had a problem with my pilot bushing, I thought my AA kit would come with one, it didn’t. So I need to find one that fits in the pilot bushing spacer that the kit provides as well as properly fitting the input shaft of the sm465. However it seems this is easier said than done.
I’m a little confused as to why AA’s didn’t at least give me some part numbers for bushings that work in conjunction with their kit... but I think I’ve got it puzzled out.
I’ll post pictures when I get them.

Partially installed, motor mounts are welded up and they are working on fabbing a new trans crossmember. Had some issues with the shifter not clearing the front of the trans tunnel cutout, but I think with some massaging that it will all work-out. Otherwise it’s probably about two weeks out from completion (of the engine install phase), so once it’s back I need to install the wiring harness, fuel system, and exhaust.
And prepare for the plethora of things that I didn’t expect to have to prepare for...

F618FB90-7AE2-4A30-9AA7-1E9657FFFEF2.jpeg

It’s back, time to pull the engine (hopefully for the last time) and install the clutch.
I still have to figure out exhaust manifolds, wiring, fuel delivery, and all the little details.
Speaking of little details, the vortec puts the trans further forward in the rig, so the shifter will require some more custom massaging.

055BE006-5749-4252-91B3-3F190325B798.jpeg

Engine out.... again.

37106E1C-6398-485F-9772-09928353B91E.jpeg

Clutch on, it’s a Centerforce clutch. The whole kit from Advanced Adapters was well put together but missing a couple little things in my opinion. A part number for the correct pilot bushing would have been nice and a clutch centering dowel was sorely missed... it’s the little things.

A1DA6F9B-54FC-44C9-B234-E765FC917766.jpeg

All back together and ready to reinstall.

2349F731-F86E-4436-BDA8-3FEF14268456.jpeg

Engine out.... again.

View attachment 1675762

Clutch on, it’s a Centerforce clutch. The whole kit from Advanced Adapters was well put together but missing a couple little things in my opinion. A part number for the correct pilot bushing would have been nice and a clutch centering dowel was sorely missed... it’s the little things.

View attachment 1675756

All back together and ready to reinstall.

View attachment 1675760
Keep the pics coming!! Nice work.

Thanks! Well I dunno about “fine” work :hmm:... but it’s coming together for sure!

Well, got the engine reinstalled yesterday with the help of a buddy. Took a bit longer than I expected, but all in all it feels good to have it all back together.

Next up is engine wiring and fuel lines/pump. I’m going to run an E-fan instead of a manual fan, so that should be nice.

I have purchased my EGR delete, headers (went with Advanced Adapters), e-fan & controller, and a MSD high pressure fuel pump. Fingers crossed, this should get me close to getting it running.
I'll also need fluids at some point I suppose... :meh:

My wiring harness from Schwanke Engines has no provision for O2 sensors. I guess this is part of the issue of buying the loom second hand... so I guess I’ll need to find what pins those use on the ECU plugs?

It runs and drives! Feels crazy to have it at this point, I'll post a video if I can figure out how.

Anyone know what the ECU learning is like? I assume it's learning and changing things but...?

Nice.

LS engines don’t mind RPM, and the first 4 gear ratios in that SM465 are the same (OK L is a tad lower) as the NV4500. The Toyota H55 has a much nicer gear spread but it and the NV4500 are pricey.

As far as them shifting “bad” you can take the shifter cane out and weld up the wobbly joints where the plastic bushings used to be, this tightens up the shifting immensely on those transmissions. You’ll still have long throws though. If you ever get into the transmission, do yourself a favor and replace the 3rd gear snap ring with the aftermarket solid collar. Also if that trans has the old 10 spline “figure 8” adapter to the 205, keep an eye on those adapter bolts as they have a tendency to work loose.

Thanks Kleatus!

Yeah I’d really like to spring for an nv4500 someday... but my “someday” list is pretty extensive.
The 465 doesn’t shift to bad, it’s just slow. But I didn’t really expect anything different. I already welded up the collar, incidentally, it helped. Good tip on the adapter bolts, I’ll keep an eye on them for sure.

I can’t figure out how to post a video but it sounds like a typical vortec with open exhaust. I have a video on my Instagram if someone is just dying to hear it, Trekkingoffroad is my username.

Anywho, currently sorting out my exhaust going with dual 2.25 to the muffler (flowmaster 50) and 3in out from there. Also battling nasty rust or maybe biodiesel slime(?) coming out of the tank. So I’m throwing fuel filters at it and hoping it clears up :bang:

I’m currently hoping to take it camping and wheeling early June, before our fire season kicks off :hmm:

Well... still can’t drive the thing. Dealing with a few injectors that don’t seem to be working. I don’t know if it’s wiring or bad injectors, but I’m waiting on an OBD2 reader and hoping that the crap from my tank isn’t what fouled them.

In other news, I got the exhaust “finished” to the point where it’s legal. It’s to loud for me, but it’ll do for now.

9E62A73D-9099-4EC5-A84F-E5F5B80AF3C3.jpeg

Swapped out 4 injectors and freshened up the o-rings on the injector rails. Also added another fuel filter after the fuel pump and the fuel is looking much better.
The engine runs much better, better than I’ve ever had it. I was able to drive it longer than before, seems great.
An rpm gauge would be nice, currently I’m using a OBD2 scanner/app.

Also got tires, had a snafu with my debit card so rims are taking awhile to arrive but they aren’t anything special this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom