Again: Check your Knuckle-Nuts ;-) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

An offset ring spanner might work to fit over the nuts closest to the backplates.

Personally I think the factory studs are marginal in there ability to function flawlessly.

Kind of like our head gaskets. Early on people were quick to insinuate that those having a problem were some how responsible for the problem because they didn’t adhere to a strict maintenance schedule.

No, just like the knuckle studs the HGs were marginally OK.
Yep I replaced (PM'd) my HG at 125K something I have no control over and could leave me stranded. The knuckle studs I do have control and I will not have a problem......maintenance :) YMMV

An offset ring spanner might work to fit over the nuts closest to the backplates.
You guys have backing plates??? :p

@Drift Monkey, that $29 tool has zero degree off set while the other has 75 degree. While not absolutely necessary to have the 75 degree offset, it sure makes it easier to use in the tight spaces of the knuckles.
The zero offset wrench works perfectly fine for me. I do have backing plates and it fits.

Geez Wally, let’s make a big deal out of what wrench to use.
Many different wrenches will do the job.
A off set 17mm with a long handle definitely works the easiest on the trail. 🤷‍♂️

Yep I replaced (PM'd) my HG at 125K something I have no control over and could leave me stranded. The knuckle studs I do have control and I will not have a problem......maintenance :) YMMV
Having to go out and routinely check for loose nuts is exactly what not having control is. If you had control you would set them and forget them as they wouldn’t loosen.

Having to go out and routinely check for loose nuts is exactly what not having control is. If you had control you would set them and forget them as they wouldn’t loosen.

@landtank I pay attention to your posts as they are very informative…BUT I strongly disagree with the one above.
Having control is EXACTLY what happens when you check these nuts. Having little to no control is what happens when one DOES NOT check for loose nuts/bolts.

Last edited:
You missed YMMV :)

Geez Wally, let’s make a big deal out of what wrench to use.
Many different wrenches will do the job.
A off set 17mm with a long handle definitely works the easiest on the trail. 🤷‍♂️
After borrowing the one you made (to check that mine were tight as usual :hillbilly:) a couple years ago I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom