Check your breathers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
This is probably "preaching to the choir" for anyone that offroads, but I thought I'd bring it up again.

The factory diff breathers on the 80 series aren't very high in the chassis. They are easily submerged and/or smothered in mud. They can suck in water, or get clogged up pretty easily.

I put extended breathers on my 200 when I regeared and added lockers, but didn't get around to it until today on the 80.

This is the front from 300k miles of unknown service and one weekend of pre-running class 4 roads. I was well over "wading depth" in mud several times.

IMG_2484.jpeg

The rear looked about the same.

Slee installed the lockers under prior ownership, so I assume the breathers were working properly when it was in their shop.

I don't think they were functioning optimally anymore.

Lots of ways to do this, but what I do is run rubber fuel line from the breather nipples to the engine bay where I have installed a filtered breather cap.

I need to do the remaining breather(s) and expect to do that when I do my final drive rear seal in the next couple of weeks (waiting for parts).

Also, I have arb lockers and see minor drips from the breathers, and am hoping this will relieve any back pressure that might contribute to this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom