Again: Check your Knuckle-Nuts ;-) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maintenance .... never had a problem running stock set up for 230K
Personally I think the factory studs are marginal in there ability to function flawlessly.

Kind of like our head gaskets. Early on people were quick to insinuate that those having a problem were some how responsible for the problem because they didn’t adhere to a strict maintenance schedule.

No, just like the knuckle studs the HGs were marginally OK.

Personally I think the factory studs are marginal in there ability to function flawlessly.

Kind of like our head gaskets. Early on people were quick to insinuate that those having a problem were some how responsible for the problem because they didn’t adhere to a strict maintenance schedule.

No, just like the knuckle studs the HGs were marginally OK.
Toyota superceded the stud part number about two years ago.

Beno posted this part number and pic. He also advised that they now come with thread locker already on it AND they advised a torque to install them.

Toyota superceded the stud part number about two years ago.

Beno posted this part number and pic. He also advised that they now come with thread locker already on it AND they advised a torque to install them.
I know people who have used red loctite on the studs with great success and others regretted doing that when they found a sheered stud in the knuckle that they couldn’t extract.

Red loctite melts with heat. I have nothing against upgrading knuckle studs but in over 20yrs I have never had a problem.

There is no marginal head gasket. It is a friggin aluminum head on a cast iron block, this is where head problems stem from.

Cheers

Do you know what this is?

I have new studs waiting for a knuckle rebuild. Might photograph them side by side.
I wonder if Toyota upgraded the tensile strength
Start with my post and follow the links until you find the pic attached by OGBeno.

Start with my post and follow the links until you find the pic attached by OGBeno.

That sounds like hard work. Was hoping you'd spoon feed us a number! 🤣

And, coz why not

Screenshot_20230923_111623_Brave.jpg

@Drift Monkey, that $29 tool has zero degree off set while the other has 75 degree. While not absolutely necessary to have the 75 degree offset, it sure makes it easier to use in the tight spaces of the knuckles.

@Drift Monkey, that $29 tool has zero degree off set while the other has 75 degree. While not absolutely necessary to have the 75 degree offset, it sure makes it easier to use in the tight spaces of the knuckles.
Yeah that passenger side one is inset, good point!

I need to figure out what super short extension/socket will reach in there (on a torque wrench) without taking the wheel off. The size is super specific hahaha.

Yeah that passenger side one is inset, good point!

I need to figure out what super short extension/socket will reach in there (on a torque wrench) without taking the wheel off. The size is super specific hahaha.

th-2313458738.jpg

There's loads of variations of crows foot sockets

You just need to adjust torque figures to account for the change in leverage

Red loctite melts with heat. I have nothing against upgrading knuckle studs but in over 20yrs I have never had a problem.

There is no marginal head gasket. It is a friggin aluminum head on a cast iron block, this is where head problems stem from.

Cheers
So Toyota redesigning the head gasket wasn’t for the early HG failures they were seeing?

Why did they redesign it then?

So Toyota redesigning the head gasket wasn’t for the early HG failures they were seeing?

Because they can’t use the same materials they used to,I believe asbestos

Last edited:

No idea why Toyota does many things they do. Several times a week in the shop we say, “like really Toyota”?

Perhaps it was a bandaid on their aluminum head to cast iron block? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom