Again: Check your Knuckle-Nuts ;-) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder if all of these loose nuts are done after a rebuild and never on a non-rebuilt front end. Not sure if I've ever heard it happening on an original front end.

I wonder if all of these loose nuts are done after a rebuild and never on a non-rebuilt front end. Not sure if I've ever heard it happening on an original front end.
I was wondering the same thing last night wile watching a knuckle re-build on youtube...

Looking at the video by the looks of it if it was rebuilt it was not recently.
You notice it's passenger side Like always never seen this happen on the drivers side. The Passenger side is doing twice as much work !!
Bigger tires and hard off roading also play a part !!

And there is nothing wrong with torquing the knuckles after each hard riding day…again…after each day.

When on hard trails, I typically have to retorque every evening. I don't always find any loose, but there seems to almost always be one

I need to recheck mine. My steering feels a bit loose pulling to the right the past couple hundred miles...thanks for the reminder.

Honestly, if you torque the bolts after a rebuild and do the follow up torque check this shouldn't be a huge issue. Maybe people are doing the initial torque and then not doing the follow up (IIRC it is 200 miles). I also purchased the nut huggers from Wit's End as a "piece of mind" item. These do not exempt you from needing to check but give one more barrier from the nuts loosening.

As for this happening to an original setup, I suspect mine had never been rebuilt but the carnage was unmistakable when it did happen.

Also, as stated the passenger side seems to be the biggest culprit since there is more torsional pull/pressure (I am not a mechanical engineer so this may not be the right verbiage but you get what I mean) ;) than the drivers side.

Plain and simple if your having this issue you not keeping up on your maintenance.
I'm running 39s and like hitting all the hardest trails, I made this so I can check my nuts on the trail super easy !!
1684459807839.png

17 MM offset wrench with a extended handle, makes it easy to get on the bolts next to the dust shield and long enough to get them tight.
It's always in my bag of tricks on the trail. Of course I always use a socket and torgue wrench at home ;)

I was wondering the same thing last night wile watching a knuckle re-build on youtube...
Follow the procedure and be generous with the locktite for good measure.
Rebuilt my knuckles about 3 years ago and haven't had an issue. I've checked them maybe a handful of times since the rebuild and haven't found anything loose.
Truth is tho, they seem to last to eternity from the factory. And I seem to recall that the stud nuts were staked on mine when I took it apart.
Could be confused with another part that's staked...been a while.

Aussie trucks fail on the other side, but it's still the passenger side with drag link and tierod acting on the same steering arm.

Seems to me to be far more common if the knuckle has been serviced.

Toyota added thread locker to 79 series knuckle studs, so it's clearly a design issue

Last edited:
I used a torque wrench and set them to factory specs and used red Loctite on the studs and blue Loctite on the nuts. Haven't had a loose nut in 130K miles.

I would add that I do run ARP Knuckle and hub studs and hardware

I would add that I do run ARP Knuckle and hub studs and hardware

As much as mine move with LocTite, I think this my path on the next rebuild. Peace of mind is nice. Also have a broken knuckle seal plate bolt to extract.

Nice 👍🏼 now I can charge 10k over for my 80 just like the fancy TRD Pro 4Runners and Tacos 😎

All jokes aside, been looking for this thanks!
Even better if we can get 25 of us to get one each...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom