Steering knuckle rebuild question. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1990 HZJ80 and this is my first time attempting to rebuild the steering knuckle on the left side, which has the longer axle.

I replaced the CV joint, mounted it on the axle, and secured it with the snap ring. After greasing everything, I reassembled the hub. Before installing the flange, I could quite easily spin the axle by hand and noticed a slight back-and-forth play, which I assume is normal. However, after bolting on the new flange, I it became much harder to spin the axle or pull it out a few millimeters using the 8mm bolt.

I then positioned the hub and the flange of the manual locking hub in place (without bolting them down) and realized that, without the ability to pull the axle out slightly, I couldn't install the snap ring because the groove wasn't exposed.

I have previously worked on the hubs of this vehicle and I recall being able to attach a bolt to the end of the axle and pull it out a bit on both sides. To confirm this, I removed the locking hub cover from the other side and found that I could indeed move it back and forth.

I wondered if I hadn't pushed the axle back far enough, but I'm quite certain I did. Pushing it in further would only exacerbate the issue. I even tried using the old axle flange, but faced the same problem. Now, I'm confused and concerned that I might have received the wrong CV joint.

I could really use some guidance from those with more experience in this matter.

Thank you.

Can you post up the part number/brand of the CV Joint you installed? Ditto for the drive flange(s). Photos of your new/old parts would help.

Can you post up the part number/brand of the CV Joint you installed? Ditto for the drive flange(s). Photos of your new/old parts would help.
The old CV is a Terrain Tamer 43405-60120
The new CV is this one
Flange is 43401-60080
I've measured both and they are the same size, Bell: 70mm from the bottom to the shaft Shaft: 170mm.

Anyway, I just decided to take this as a lesson and order the same terrain tamer CV that I had before. Although I still don't get why the previous CV didn't fit correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom