Aftermarket FJ40 Dash Pad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I honestly don’t understand the issue with the logo. I admit at first I was not keen on the idea. But at the time of my build there were no other good options.

After the dash pad was installed and I started driving my 45 the logo disappeared behind my right hand. My truck gets a lot of attention, just like all 40 series LC’s, and no one has ever asked what that spot in the dash is about. Eventually I found an interesting idea to deal with the logo and give a head nod to my rigs Australian roots.

As a side note when my truck was examined for appraisal by both the appraiser and my insurance company, neither noticed the logo on a vehicle that was evaluated well north of 100k.

CC7D3BBF-7038-46A8-B04A-BF1429B4510A.jpeg
9DB9C4C0-292D-41E9-B7C4-1B045B6D1602.jpeg
B7317EE2-6DDE-4A7A-BD01-8DB08F1CCDBD.jpeg

I honestly don’t understand the issue with the logo. I admit at first I was not keen on the idea. But at the time of my build there were no other good options.

After the dash pad was installed and I started driving my 45 the logo disappeared behind my right hand. My truck gets a lot of attention, just like all 40 series LC’s, and no one has ever asked what that spot in the dash is about. Eventually I found an interesting idea to deal with the logo and give a head nod to my rigs Australian roots.

As a side note when my truck was examined for appraisal by both the appraiser and my insurance company, neither noticed the logo on a vehicle that was evaluated well north of 100k.

View attachment 2066824View attachment 2066825View attachment 2066826

North of a $100k appraisal?...

In all brutal honesty, to me that looks worse than just the logo.
If the corners were radiused so the piece fit into the depression then maybe I could live with it.
Early on looking at the dash logo I envisioned a plain piece that fit the spot.
Possibly color coordinated or a brushed metal look.
One's own personal message is an option and you can tell people like me that makes comment to go....so what you have is not totally a bad idea, just that with the rest of the dash looking so clean and detailed the flag looks like it was stuck on as an after thought.

Thanks FJCruisin. Hope Mr. FJGoober will look into this. What is your cost to do this for your product? I.e. what would it cost him to do this?

I really want to buy his dash. I don’t mind it’s texture difference than OEM. I think it’s durability looks hands down fantastic. I know it will be 10 times better than OEM. I have the money for $400 OEM. I have been patiently waiting for him to change his mind.

I always like to support IH8MUD Vendors and keep them in business for the greater good. I want Mr. FJGoober to be a success with his product. He seems like a great guy. His video shows he’s honest and funny. That’s a guy I want to buy from.

I would be one of his biggest testimonials. I would even help him with ideas on his website and setting up a business page on Facebook and Google to get more young buyers to find his product.

What I don’t like is an advertising logo in front of me every time I start the 2F. That’s my personal preference. No attack on Mr. FJGoober. Why I and others are being targeted as being wrong, is comical. I don’t put down others ideas on what they like to buy and install on their TLC’s.

Any thought to a filler for a DIY that I could use if he doesn’t ever change?

Black 3M 5200 with either wax paper press or wax mold prep and clamp it with some other filler on a bench?

Logo is small. I am a graphic designer and can be hyper-detail oriented (some might say "anal"). ESPECIALLY when it comes to logos and what they mean and who I choose to advertise for etc...

Full Transparency: I don't LOVE that the logo is there. I DO understand that FJ40Dash did not originally intend to put it there. If you understand tooling and manufacturing, it makes sense how it came to be, and although unfortunate, is not really THAT noticeable.
I'm also betting that the modern chemistry will hold up better against the sun than OEM.

If you are doing a concourse-focused restoration, you can still find OEM dash pads floating around out there, and you shouldn't be looking in this thread anyway. The price difference for OEM wasn't worth it (for me) since the only visible difference to my eye is that little logo. My level of crazy is not quite that high.

Will I cover the logo with something else? Maybe. I liked someone's idea about putting a mini bezel pin-like thing there. But I'm also REALLY pleased with the quality of the dash pads/roll pads. Whenever I am walking people through what I've done to the truck, I always mention the dash pads during the "tour". I don't mind that their logo is there if they get some credit for the great product they make for the community. I was annoyed, and planned to cut the Cruiser Corps tags off my upholstery too, but I changed my mind BECAUSE I am so happy with them. If my truck is parked at a Toyota event, and someone peeks in, I'm actually happy to "advertise" for these products.

How many aftermarket parts companies for the 40 series have gone the way of the buffalo? Any support we as a community can give them will only ensure that they are still around on our next build.

Thanks for the top shelf product @fjgoober. Just like CityRacer's stuff, If you had anything else in your store I would buy that too without hesitation. I wish all aftermarket producers produced this level of quality.

Upper and Lower dash pads

View of logo from Driver's seat:

Logo size compared to quarter:

Roll bar pads:

Do you have a build thread? Sure looks like a pretty truck and an interesting shift knob.

I would buy one if there were no logo. With the logo I would not consider it. I like parts that look original. You should redo the mold. Seriously how much could it possibly cost vs. the increase in sales. But it’s your business so...

HA HA I can beat on my reproduction dash with a hammer. The OEM has no logo but is very fragile and less utilitarian. To each there own. I love my logoed dash.
After I posted that, I went and searched OEM dashes. They are pretty reasonable in price these days so I can see why it probably doesn't make any financial sense for him to remold it, but as you mentioned, it would be great to have a super durable dash and no logo.

If someone reading this has one and wants to do a little work, I am sure I can come up with something that would fill the spot, or turn it into something useful like a phone holder, Map Light, digital gauge, etc....

If you can take a mold of it then send it my way..

Instructions for DIY mold...

Get some 100% silicone. Not the new stuff, the older stinky version.

20210429_091826.jpg

1. Get some corn starch
  2. Squeeze out about a half cup of silicone into a mixing bowl
  3. scoop about the same amount of corn starch and mix them together
  4. this may get a bit messy so wear gloves
  5. Keep mixing
  6. If the silicone starts to get sticky, add more starch
  7. once you have a nice squishy yet non-sticky ball slap it on the spot of the dash where the logo is
  8. Keep it there for at least 20 minutes (you will have to figure that part out on your own)
  9. Remove > Put in plastic baggy, send to me...

I can take it from there...

Beautiful

If someone reading this has one and wants to do a little work, I am sure I can come up with something that would fill the spot, or turn it into something useful like a phone holder, Map Light, digital gauge, etc....

If you can take a mold of it then send it my way..

Instructions for DIY mold...

Get some 100% silicone. Not the new stuff, the older stinky version.

View attachment 2660219
  1. Get some corn starch
  2. Squeeze out about a half cup of silicone into a mixing bowl
  3. scoop about the same amount of corn starch and mix them together
  4. this may get a bit messy so wear gloves
  5. Keep mixing
  6. If the silicone starts to get sticky, add more starch
  7. once you have a nice squishy yet non-sticky ball slap it on the spot of the dash where the logo is
  8. Keep it there for at least 20 minutes (you will have to figure that part out on your own)
  9. Remove > Put in plastic baggy, send to me...

I can take it from there...

refreshing to see a solution instead of the complainants and the ridicule above! Good on you!

I’m guessing he put that logo in for marketing and copyright infringement. Can common cents prevail again...

MUD discount for one of these? I need a nice Dash pad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom