Add FJ40 dash lights without removing dash pad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious if there is an avenue to install lights on the bottom of a dash pad without removing the pad? I'm trying to avoid raising the top/dropping the windshield in order to remove the pad. From what I can tell, I have one of the ABS aftermarket pads that doesn't have the dash light cutout. I recently had significant bodywork/paint done to the FJ. During the process, the bodyshop removed the dash pad which was then re-installed. In one of the progress body paint pics, I can see 2 wires sticking out of the middle of the metal dash and I assume those have to be the original wires that fed the dash light before the new pad was installed by a previous owner.

I would need to somehow drill holes, fish those wires through the holes, and tighten the light mechanism on the back side, all with the dash pad in place. Seems like a tall ask, but figured somebody may have come across this already. I'm not married to the stock style light and would be happy to look at LED bolt lights like this if beneficial.

Amazon product ASIN B01AFU4QD6

Actually, I think I'm in good shape. I believe I have one of the black plastic covers which goes OVER the original pad and is only held by the knobs. Its pretty good, as I had to look close--the dash screws definitely aren't holding the black plastic cover. Will dig in more tomorrow.

I like a light that shines on the floor - that's where all the stuff you drop ends up in the dark. I have the factory darth vader light on the passenger side dash and the one on the drivers door pillar. I put in a big amber LED fog light in the top back drivers side of the rear cab on a separate switch - saves night vision.

I need to make an red/white LED trouble light that plugs into the glove box socket. Might add some under the front seat amber lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom