Advice wanted- spare tire too big. Bumps into release latch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CarcaineProblems

GOLD Star
Threads
I did a search but wasn’t sure what keywords. As you can see, my taller tire bumps into the release latch

Do I just move that whole mount up? Extend it outward somehow? Thanks guys
2196294E-91E0-4D68-B39D-CA6E0BCFAC41.jpeg

A74954D3-F281-49E6-A8AB-4801373AF21A.jpeg

Something about square tubing to get an extra bit of clearance. I don't know about any threads.

Square stock between the plate portion and the part the tire bolts too.

I think.

Interesting. I wonder if the latch will work if it’s spaced out.

I did a 2" wheel spacer for mine, the backspacing on the new rims was a little tight. I run 32s (255/75R17s), so not sure how that compares to your setup.

I actually only used one of the 2-pack, drop me a DM if you could use the second...it's in a box in the FJ40 spares pile. 😆

Amazon product ASIN B08T7T4CZH

I did a 2" wheel spacer for mine, the backspacing on the new rims was a little tight. I run 32s (255/75R17s), so not sure how that compares to your setup.

I actually only used one of the 2-pack, drop me a DM if you could use the second...it's in a box in the FJ40 spares pile. 😆

Amazon product ASIN B08T7T4CZH

Did a one inch wheel spacer to each of these.
On the later 4Runner 16" rim it positioned the rim and emblem in the center cap better than without a spacer. Tube carrier rotates the rim off 2-6-10 0'clock like plate carriers have.
IMG_20200920_144457794.jpg
IMG_20190822_190232324.jpg

i ended up just making a new part after playing with spacers and not being satisfied with the way they looked.

18sparetire.jpg

18sparetire2.jpg

Last edited:
i ended up just making a new part after playing with spacers and not being satisficed with the way they looked.

View attachment 3281031

View attachment 3281032

Advantage of making one is it not only spaces the tire out if you follow the original it moves the tire higher. By the picture you may have had clearance issues with the bumperette if the tire was moved up.

Best picture I have of my 79 but debatable if the bumperette will clear. Tube style is not as easy to solve the issue of bumperette clearance. Would hate to space it out any further.
IMG_20190822_190216083.jpg

Last edited:
^^ nice parts. Wish I had the skills!

I have this piece that has extended bolts on it. Looks like it would use spacers to extend the tire out. Has some worn marks on the bolts. Not sure of the strength overall.
1098DA1F-3FAF-4B46-8148-4C2577FBD999.jpeg
812F7AC2-4B14-41EB-883D-25DBBA70AA36.jpeg

I put a second set of holes in the plate higher up. Fit a 33 no problem. Based on experience, I try to avoid spacing the tire out, as it adds fulcrum leverage to something that wasn’t designed for that much weight to begin with.

I put a second set of holes in the plate higher up. Fit a 33 no problem. Based on experience, I try to avoid spacing the tire out, as it adds fulcrum leverage to something that wasn’t designed for that much weight to begin with.

I understand the fulcrum very well. Center of gravity is effected raising the tire but guessing less than being further out. In the case of the two I pictured above both the tire was still resting against the the back of the tire carrier with a 1" spacer. Also tube style carrier not an easy way to raise the tire.

Nice work. For spare tire carriers I bought cheap wheel spacers. Not as concerned about the quality as those using on an axle.
@Living in the Past @MtnAddict you both mention wheel spacers- are you talking about something similar to the link @rkymtnflyfisher shared- the vertical spacers? Can you please show me what you used? I currently have 235/75/15 BFG that is dented by the carrier (stock 1970), so won't hold air. I am switching to 33x9.5x15 Kendas and will need to fix this situation, and may need to raise it up to avoid the latch, tbd. I don't have any fab skills so hope to find an off the shelf solution. Thanks!
IMG_3177.jpg
IMG_3175.jpg
IMG_3178.jpg
IMG_3169.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom