Flatlander’s 1974 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The one pic is interesting! I see a bottle jack as wheel chalk and a mysterious stream of oil under the front end haha. Im sure it was there before

Bottle jack, yes. Stream of oil, no; it's tar on the pavement...she does leak a bit of tranny fluid, at this point it's only a few drops :hillbilly:

Show me a cruiser that doesnt leak awesomeness lol

I have a couple drips that pop up. Front knuckle leakedin the winter so i swapped out the fluid in the diffs and its been bone dry since haha. Im afraid its only a temp solution...

Wow.. mine is really close to yours
50124.jpeg

Even more proof that 1974 is the best year :cool:

oh there is a kit never seen those before. I bought mine for $30 at a garage sale so i guess ill pony up

Spend a little time on the 40 today. Subject: spare tire carrier. The 10.50" wide tire has been rubbing. Made some spacers to address that. Cleaned and painted the mount. PO had 2 cans of cruiser silver but they must be too old. Wouldn't spray. Decided to use the same color I painted my wheels, Machinery Gray.

Ended up taking the door off and cleaning it. There's some surface rust where the tire has been rubbing. Going to sand down and hit with rust Doc them match freeborn red.

I attached the spacer measurements in case anyone needs reference.

IMG_6083.JPG

IMG_6088.JPG

IMG_6089.JPG

IMG_6090.JPG

IMG_6091.JPG

Used some rubber washers between the spacers and carrier. Regulators....mount up.....tomorrow :rofl:

Used naval jelly on the surface rust before priming and painting. All stainless steel bolts used but kept the latch OEM :cool:

IMG_6097.JPG

All back together. Used the $2.50 part from Ace Hardware for the upper cushion @ginmtb :)

View attachment 1518303

Had I known I had extras could've sent one to you! I'm going to also install little black plastic caps on my spacers. Will help keep water out of them and finish it off nicely.

Looking good!

Had I known I had extras could've sent one to you! I'm going to also install little black plastic caps on my spacers. Will help keep water out of them and finish it off nicely.

Looking good!

Where you getting the black caps?

1 yr anniversary of 40 ownership...She’s come a long way. Dropped her off at the spa for her birthday with plans to address the leaking undercarriage. When the PO rebuilt the tranny they neglected to address the original output seal (so I was told). We shall see...

Of course pictures from 1 year ago and current.

7C4C38D8-FAEE-4D0C-83B7-095D1AE25B87.jpeg

C6CD16D2-97CC-4985-9872-A8579D07E496.jpeg

92F80B64-3A2A-496D-ADCC-41B6E8632D75.jpeg

58DF8193-23A0-427C-9FCA-FD2381A104E3.jpeg

520DEFD3-6968-4769-BE32-8341B09A422B.jpeg

Clutch master leaking and slave cylinder is bad. OE replacement on the way. Found 4 leaks underneath. It appears whatever the PO hit resulting in the damage to my front & rear fender snagged the front output shaft cone crushing one of the bolts. Surprisingly, there aren’t any cracks in the nose cone. New seal and gaskets installed and that leak is fixed.

Also has gear oil coming out of the speedo housing. Disassembled and found the rubber grommets to be missing and/or bad. Those have been replaced.

Changed oil and filter. Replaced torn TRE boot.

New coolant hoses and clamps I bought months back will go in this weekend.

12ECDAF3-0F73-49E0-8FCB-E4378F3D67F3.jpeg

6D43EE23-A2DF-438E-AA2A-5729229D9437.jpeg

Adjusted valves and new gasket. New points, cap & rotor. I’m being told the leaks underneath are gone :bounce:

Dropped this off and said to fix everything that needed immediate attention :worms:
....Should have back by Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom