AA Ron's FJ40 refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No real update lately, but I finished the valve cover minus putting the decals on. Here's what it'll look like, I think I like it.
1592090559050.png

Bold move using a color other than black for the engine ... let alone white for the valve cover

The colors do work well together

I like that you are doing the truck for you... too many times we do what supposed to be like and it looses some of the owners character

My truck is FAR for correct .... and gets further each year lol

Keep up the good work!

Not too much "work" today, but cleaning and painting parts and pieces was fun. Added some decals to the valve cover and locking hub decal. I did replace one new seal, the timing cover seal. Started replacing some old fuel lines and heater hose.

In other news though, I received my replacement torx bolts that's been holding things up since last week, so I'm excited to get it going starting tomorrow.

Without further adieu here are a few pictures of some of the work done.

1592288066690.png

1592288097499.png

1592288121733.png

1592288137439.png

1592288156761.png

But it wasn't all aesthetics...
So I've reached the point of reassembly. It's a pretty big step for me.
  • Installed the oil pan with new gasket.
  • Installed rear main seal.
  • Installed the crank/cam backing end plate along with crank/cam gears.
  • Installed timing cover.
  • Cleaned up the water pump and changed the gasket. Removing those bolts were a PITA! A little kroil and heat eventually did the trick.
  • Replaced fuel lines and fuel filter. Cleaned up the fuel pump and installed it.
  • Cleaned up the oil cooler and replaced rubber lines on it as well. Then it too got installed.
1592801999731.png

1592802027482.png

1592802049675.png

1592802192734.png

1592802222367.png

After all that work I was thinking it all looked a little nice and new with the engine bay pretty dingy, so I went ahead and cleaned that up and replaced some of the wiring harness broken plastic clips with new SOR ones just to keep them in place.
I understand it is just going to get dirty again but I wanted to see it looking clean even if only for a little bit.

I figured I would wait to install the water pump until I put the head on so that it is not in the way at all. But it is all ready to go in as well.
1592802575808.png

1592802596727.png

1592802633343.png

1592802644755.png

Lastly, I was playing around with the repainted (POR15) tool box. Figured I could add a little detail to the letters. Didn't come out great but sort of like everything else, its decent and I can always touch it up to cover some of the flaws. Btw, what do you suppose should go inside this thing? I already have the tool bag under the driver seat with some things. I was thinking of putting in a tire repair kit in there but couldn't think of what can or should fit inside this thing. I thought of strapping it inside the landcruiser or perhaps go up on the roof rack at the risk of the thing flying off or someone running away with it. Those who have it what do you do with it or do you just keep it as part of your landcruiser collection?
1592803272154.png

Mine sees trail time in my 40; it has carburetor tools and spare parts.

Been doing a little work on the landcruiser lately and I wanted to show how some of it turned out. So here's just a few Before and Afters...

Before:
1593365128355.png

After: (Spray painted the mesh grill and hand painted the Toyota emblem)
1593365181707.png

Not the final product but shows a closer look.
1593366573063.png

Before:
1593366168371.png

After: (I'm really happy with how the floor mat turned out. Very few tears, and everything else in really good condition.)
1593366190946.png

@65swb45 You want to see something for Wall of Shame-worthy, this is the remains of the pilot bearing. It pretty much just fell out in pieces and these were the bearings I could gather up that didn't go bouncing off somewhere. BTW the throw out bearing wasn't much better, while turning it by hand you could feel and hear the grinding of the bearings inside.

I think this ol thing will be happy to ride on all new bearings after this refresh gets up and running once again.

1593370814080.png

1593377885393.png

Last edited:
It's looking good Ron :cheers: Did they find any issues in the trans during the rebuild?

No they said it was pretty good and they ended up just doing a reseal. Crisis averted there, but they did rebuild the transfer case.

Also can't tell if you're kidding with the name, and the title maybe sounds confusing, but the name is Aaron. AA Ron comes from a funny Key and Peele skit about names and pronunciations. You should watch it if you've never seen it.

No they said it was pretty good and they ended up just doing a reseal. Crisis averted there, but they did rebuild the transfer case.]

Sorry I didn’t see this sooner. Collapsed pilot bearings make me think twice, even 3 times before deciding NOT to overhaul a transmission, as the lack of support for the tip of the input shaft puts more side load on the input bearing and the needle roller bearings that support the output shaft. I just finished a four speed overhaul Friday for Gary (my latest wall-of-shamer) that had exactly that scenario.

Sorry I didn’t see this sooner. Collapsed pilot bearings make me think twice, even 3 times before deciding NOT to overhaul a transmission, as the lack of support for the tip of the input shaft puts more side load on the input bearing and the needle roller bearings that support the output shaft. I just finished a four speed overhaul Friday for Gary (my latest wall-of-shamer) that had exactly that scenario.
Well I guess at this point I hope that it wasn't terribly damaged and the new pilot bearing and everything else will work well. To be fair I didn't mention that to George for consideration when I talked to him about it, but what do I know I'm no expert. I guess I figured they would be able to see or tell where there would have been some irregular wear and tear when deciding to rebuild or reseal.

I don't think I've posted it here, but I have gone ahead and decided to order a Vintage Air unit. I'm pretty excited, but for now it's holding some things up. Until then I will prepare some things and there are still a few other things I will be doing, but work has started back up so I will probably only work in the evenings from here on out for a little while.
1594185351537.png

Preparing for the Vintage Air unit to arrive, I have pulled the OEM heater unit, both front and rear, along with the blower from the engine compartment. I'll clean it up before it arrives.
1594185015919.png

1594185031546.png

I put some POR15 on the small rust spots under the gas tank. I'll paint with touch up sky blue paint though.
1594185048014.png

1594185130856.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom