8x Series V8 Swaps (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's what I run, and one thing you should be note is that once that oil get to that high of a temp it will no longer work, or provide the lubrications, as initially intended....

It will do a better job at those temps than ATF made from conventional base stocks though. My point wasn't that it's safe.. just that the 6L80 or any transmission running synthetic ATF is better off than one running less-advanced fluids.

I'd be worried about the long-term health of a 4L60E running DexronIII that saw 260F even for a short period of time. As long as AZ's didn't run that way for 1000 miles, fluid still looks good, and transmission is acting ok, personally I wouldn't be worried about the unit given how much better DexronVI is than its predecessors. I'd just address the over-temp problem.

That wideband sensor/gauge setup I mentioned with the OBDII passthrough is called the AEM 30-0333

first few passes of MAF tuning:

Note that instead of the wideband parameter you can use LTFT+STFT for the first pass, then do LTFT for subsequent MAF adjustments. This was the method I used and I had LTFTs within 2% by the third pass. The above video is good for showing how to build the "graph" in a way that makes the data easily transferred into VCMEditor to actually make the change to the MAF calibration.

You'll read this everywhere but in case not, you need to disable "DFCO" (decel fuel cut off) and consider limiting cat overtemp protection.. I didnt want to disable this to avoid frying my cats.. so I just limited it for tuning.

Also you want to avoid "power enrichment", but not disable it. Avoid meaning drive around the condition. in your VCMEditor you can look and see what is required in this mode.. but as long as you are logging requested AFR (or EQ, or any of the other versions the software is capable of seeing) you'll see a significant shift in the line away from 14.7 when you go into PE. Any MAF data gathered when you are in PE is basically useless with regard to LTFTs.

Once you get a wideband you can redo the MAF stuff under PE by logging "EQ Error" like in the video above.. but you can get a LOT of drivability stuff done with LTFTs and the stock O2 sensors alone.

IIRC it has options to change the axle ratio and tire size to get it to be more accurate in a swap.. I did do some adjustments for my setup to get the computer thinking the speed is correct given my axle ratio and tire size. Also I have set up the VCMscanner to show vehicle speed, so I know mine will log it. And now that I think about it there were two different speeds at a given actual vehicle speed when I went into the PIDs.. not sure what the difference was about.

Other than that, I'm not sure what would be going on.. possibly since you are using a corvette/camaro transmission tune, maybe it can't adjust far enough out for your diffs and tires? I'd dig into the adjustment factors I found (pretty sure under engine, not transmission) and see if that stuff is set up. I don't have my tuning PC with me or I'd do some digging.

Iirc, hp tuners kind of sucks at changing gears and tire size to actually be accurate. I seem to remember fighting it in my Camaro. Just putting in the tire and gear size wasn't enough. I had to measure the rollout and tweak the Vss pulses per mile, I think, it's been a while.

Was that signal to get speedo on the dash though?

In most of our swaps using the factory Toyota speedo the speed signal within HPtuners is more for internal logging or things like downshift points.. so on mine I'm not too worried about it being a little bit off.

That said.. one of the two readouts I've configured was pretty accurate. Within 1 or 2mph at 75-80

I am not even inputing vehicle speed into the ecm. Unless it is doing it internally through the internal speed sensors in the trans(6L90E). I use the stock toyota vss on the t case and interupt and modify that signal to correct for tire size. I have a vehicle speed output wire in my harness now that I think about it, I am not using it for anything. I have had great luck with the dakota digital box to calibrate the speedo.

Was that signal to get speedo on the dash though?

In most of our swaps using the factory Toyota speedo the speed signal within HPtuners is more for internal logging or things like downshift points.. so on mine I'm not too worried about it being a little bit off.

That said.. one of the two readouts I've configured was pretty accurate. Within 1 or 2mph at 75-80
Yes, to get it to match my GPS. Good to read this thread even though my swap isn't happening for a while, I'm pretty sure it will get an Ls at some point

This has kind of been kicked around in the 80 thread. I think the cooler in the radiator is not really a cooler, it is actually to get the fluid up to temp fairly quickly. The actual cooler is the separate unit in front of the radiator. In your situation I would probably not use the radiator "cooler" at all. I would just plumb in a nice large cooler. The stock unit is actually pretty good.

Calling all V8 Swappers. Anyone monitor their trans temps closely? Living in AZ and driving up and down hills everyday as well as trips up north with a trailer have revealed some interesting numbers. Ron Davis radiators told me to pass the trans cooling lines through their radiator and I should be good to go. Well after some extensive testing this past weekend I found out that their cooler isn't helping to much and that I need to add a trans cooler. Normal daily driving I see between 200 and 235 trans temps and towing I was seeing as high as 260 degrees. Correct me if I am wrong but these 6L80E transmissions should be running 200 degrees or less ? I would imagine the transmission and seals won't last long the way I am set up now. My water temps are nice and low so I know the radiator is doing its part for the water cooling but the pass through trans cooler is letting me down. Anyone?

It probably works both ways. Whether extremely hot or cold the radiator will bring it closer to ideal temps.

"10 in town 14 on the freeway. Build details in dig

That said.. if you are going to spend this much on the swap, why does mileage matter?"

I guess because when road tripping it's nice to gauge distance between fill ups. I don't really wheel my 80 and it would be pretty easy to just go with a 200 and get most of the benefits and then gain some luxury features. But them have to deal with the complexity of those as well. That said, taking a few 1000 mile road trip even a couple MPG add up.

Last edited:
Picked up a Gen III 4.8 LS this weekend for $300. What I saved I'll spend in time and parts I'm sure, but that's part of it for me.

IMG_3563[1].JPG

Awesome, welcome to the club. You won't be sorry. There is a ton of great reading on this thread alone. If you need help just ask

Thanks @Squad1. I've been lurking here for a while. I talked to @bloc about stopping by to take a look at his truck a few months ago but never got around to it.

Better get on it.. I've decided to sell the rig in the next few months.

It's AWESOME, and finally "done".. but this last 6500 mile trip made me realize that for the way I travel, overall I would be a lot better off with something less built. Plus it being "done" means I need a new project. Thinking a diesel touareg to travel in and toss a turbo onto the TSX?

Realistically I do have a few odds & ends to button up before it gets listed (re-resistor a toyota cruise stalk, hard-wire BCM, further tweaked oil pan, condenser fan) so you have some time but..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom