8x Series V8 Swaps (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am pleasantly surprised how nice my lifted 80 drives. The Slee control arms made the biggest impact on how confident I am with the handling of my cruiser. Basically all the suspension on mine is new and it drives really nice. Anyone that wants to see what a properly aligned lifted 80 drives like with 430 hp send me a message and I would be glad to let you take it for a spin. The only thing I want to improve at this point it the brake system and air conditioning .

I am pleasantly surprised how nice my lifted 80 drives. The Slee control arms made the biggest impact on how confident I am with the handling of my cruiser. Basically all the suspension on mine is new and it drives really nice. Anyone that wants to see what a properly aligned lifted 80 drives like with 430 hp send me a message and I would be glad to let you take it for a spin. The only thing I want to improve at this point it the brake system and air conditioning .
cool. what is the suspension lift on it?

I have always wondered what the MPG's with various LS and transmission swaps are in real life? When I first started looking at these they weren't much better than when they rolled out new. But you could pass going over a hill or mountain pass etc with the LS ;)

10 in town 14 on the freeway. Build details in dig

That said.. if you are going to spend this much on the swap, why does mileage matter?

Calling all V8 Swappers. Anyone monitor their trans temps closely? Living in AZ and driving up and down hills everyday as well as trips up north with a trailer have revealed some interesting numbers. Ron Davis radiators told me to pass the trans cooling lines through their radiator and I should be good to go. Well after some extensive testing this past weekend I found out that their cooler isn't helping to much and that I need to add a trans cooler. Normal daily driving I see between 200 and 235 trans temps and towing I was seeing as high as 260 degrees. Correct me if I am wrong but these 6L80E transmissions should be running 200 degrees or less ? I would imagine the transmission and seals won't last long the way I am set up now. My water temps are nice and low so I know the radiator is doing its part for the water cooling but the pass through trans cooler is letting me down. Anyone?

Last edited:
I run my trans oil through my cheap champion rad and also on a aux tranny cooler at the front of the rad.... I'm looking at 160ºF to 180ºF on 100ºF+ hot days.... when i used to pull a trailer i did see 200ºF on the odd pass out in CO...

I say run an external cooler in addition to the radiator...
I'm a Gen III 4L60E.....

Radiator cooler + 80 series cooler works well for me. Warms it up nicely in cool weather, but keeps it 150-170 when hot out.

I am going to put a 24 x 12 x 1" trans cooler between the radiator and the ac condensor. This is the only place I have room for something this large due to the oil cooler and spal fan sitting in front of my rad now. I plan to run the lines from the trans through the trans cooler first and then through the radiator. Thoughts?

If the goal is to keep them temps as low as possible during heavy loads on hot days.. then you want that return oil as cool as possible...

I run a b&m70297 with a pusher fan which i run manually.. it sits at the front of the ac condenser ...
Oil goes from tranny to rad to cooler back to tranny....

6L80 requires Dexron VI which is full-synthetic and therefore much more temp stable, so better able to deal with high temps. IIRC the 6L80 doesn't need to be under 200F like recommended for older transmissions.. digging around online normal temps of 220 are fine. But yes, 260 is likely too high. Probably not to the point of causing immediate harm but not good long-term.

I have the stock toyota radiator and stock toyota air/fluid trans cooler.. and while I don't tow I haven't seen above 175F on the freeway. I actually had to stand on the brake and use throttle for a couple minutes to get my trans up to the 190F required to start the "fast learn" procedure after being rebuilt. Maybe try reinstalling stock aux trans cooler..

Also, I'd do radiator then trans cooler in terms of flow path. Stock toyota and pretty much all vehicles that use both were set up this way.

Last edited:
6L80 requires Dexron VI which is full-synthetic and therefore much more temp stable, so better able to deal with high temps. IIRC the 6L80 doesn't need to be under 200F like recommended for older transmissions.. digging around online normal temps of 220 are fine. But yes, 260 is likely too high. Probably not to the point of causing immediate harm but not good long-term.

I have the stock toyota radiator and stock toyota air/fluid trans cooler.. and while I don't tow I haven't seen above 175F on the freeway. I actually had to stand on the brake and use throttle for a couple minutes to get my trans up to the 190F required to start the "fast learn" procedure after being rebuilt. Maybe try reinstalling stock aux trans cooler..

Also, I'd do radiator then trans cooler in terms of flow path. Stock toyota and pretty much all vehicles that use both were set up this way.
I believe the trans cooler in the stock radiator must be a bit more efficient than the one inside my Ron Davis. They are going to send me a drawing tomorrow and that will probably answer that question.

Last edited:
I believe the trans cooler in the stock radiator must be a bit more efficient than the one inside my Ron Davis. They are going to send me a drawing tomorrow and that will probably answer that question.

I agree about the efficiency of the different units. That said, my setup overcools the fluid for this transmission. Between your towing and the Ron Davis you might end up right in the sweet spot with a cooler similar size/capacity to stock 80-series.

It's just common sense to run an aux trans cooler if you are towing. Especially in AZ. Doesn't matter what radiator you are using.
I guess you have never made the mistake in trusting others that are supposed to be the best at what they do. I agree with your statement but humans make mistakes and bad decisions every day and not everyone is perfect. I try hard to do things the right way in every aspect of life and learn new things every day from my mistakes and move on. The question I asked here was if anyone monitors their transmission temperatures not if I had common sense. Thanks for pointing that out though.

6L80 requires Dexron VI which is full-synthetic and therefore much more temp stable, so better able to deal with high temps.
That's what I run, and one thing you should be note is that once that oil get to that high of a temp it will no longer work, or provide the lubrications, as initially intended....

I agree with your statement but humans make mistakes and bad decisions every day and not everyone is perfect.

Talk about slip ups.. Initially I used clamps to connect the hoses to the tranny cooler... do yourself a favour and get the proper length/crimp tranny hoses (better yet, hard lines), and avoid any leaks out in the middle of nowhere when things get bumpy & hot.....

That's what I run, and one thing you should be note is that once that oil get to that high of a temp it will no longer work, or provide the lubrications, as initially intended....

Talk about slip ups.. Initially I used clamps to connect the hoses to the tranny cooler... do yourself a favour and get the proper length/crimp tranny hoses (better yet, hard lines), and avoid any leaks out in the middle of nowhere when things get bumpy & hot.....
I am running high quality lines with AN fittings.

I am going to put a 24 x 12 x 1" trans cooler between the radiator and the ac condensor. This is the only place I have room for something this large due to the oil cooler and spal fan sitting in front of my rad now. I plan to run the lines from the trans through the trans cooler first and then through the radiator. Thoughts?
Generally all trans coolers are run through the radiator cooler first and the the auxiliary cooler in front of the radiator. Reason is that a liquid to liquid heat exchange is much more efficient than a liquid to air heat exchange. Your low radiator temps tell me that your coolant has the capacity to absorb more heat out of your trans fluid.
This is the Derale heat sink cooler i have been running for the past year. I have had no problems with this set up. My trans line runs out of the trans into the rad cooler then out of that into the derale cooler and through it and back to the trans. It is all plumbed with #6 AN hose and fittings which are 3/8". I will see if I can look at some temps and report back

IMG_4964.JPG

I will see if I can look at some temps and report back

When you get your VCMSuite VCMScanner will log and graph trans temp, FYI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom