Builds 80 series where to start! Again.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah for sure, except I really don't want a manual with a big turbo gas engine, the auto's pretty much allow you to stay in boost.

Most likely will be fine...I just try to eliminate those spud shafts as its another pair of splines to worry about. Hence why I went the 2wd mainshaft mod in the NV4500 back in 2015.

Totally, for speed, auto ALL DAY LONG!

My daily LX450 is auto and i'm paying attention here for trans options down the road as my FZ boost levels get pushed. The diesel is primarily the camping rig and I don't mind rowing gears in that. Although there were a few precarious moments on Hole In The Rock last year where the auto would have been a little less Pucker Factor 11.

Yeah I really like an auto for serious offroad too, especially since we don't have super low gear options and the torque converter gives you some slower speed and control. I wouldn't mind a manual for expedition type travel, maybe a little more efficient saves some fuel, etc.

My daily LX450 is auto and i'm paying attention here for trans options down the road as my FZ boost levels get pushed. The diesel is primarily the camping rig and I don't mind rowing gears in that. Although there were a few precarious moments on Hole In The Rock last year where the auto would have been a little less Pucker Factor 11.

I learned the hand throttle can be your friend in a manual in the situation when you need a third foot.

Hole In The Rock
I had so much fun running that trail last summer. Where were your pucker moments?

Also, this A34x trans talk is very exciting, and many don't realize it yet.

Yeah I really like an auto for serious offroad too, especially since we don't have super low gear options and the torque converter gives you some slower speed and control. I wouldn't mind a manual for expedition type travel, maybe a little more efficient saves some fuel, etc.

Been a while, any progress on this?

Unfortunately no. Due to some pretty questionable life choices I made, namely leaving a great career with extra money and time, and starting a new career with neither. I am not sure when this will be back on track. It sits in climate controlled storage now. But the reality is it might be a long time. :frown:

Been a while, any progress on this?

Last edited:
Unfortunately no. Do to some pretty questionable life choices I made, namely leaving a great career with extra money and time, and starting a new career with neither. I am not sure when this will be back on track. It sits in climate controlled storage now. But the reality is it might be a long time. :frown:
What lead to the move? Change of scenery? I toss around the idea of heading out West regularly as well but thinking I'd be facing the exact same situation as you.

Unfortunately no. Do to some pretty questionable life choices I made, namely leaving a great career with extra money and time, and starting a new career with neither. I am not sure when this will be back on track. It sits in climate controlled storage now. But the reality is it might be a long time. :frown:

Sorry to hear, you have a lot into the project. Hopefully the money/time conundrum resolves itself sooner than later. Based on your knowledge, skills, and attention to detail, I think it’s coming. Best of luck :cheers:

For me it was a career change that was driven by wanting to have a little more freedom. I worked in the government intelligence community and there are really only a handful of places in the US that you can live (DC, Colorado, Texas, Georgia) I had lived in all of them except Georgia, but I wanted to get back closer to family. So I am in the middle of a career change, but it includes a huge amount of school, clinicals, etc. Not a problem at 20, but when you are 40 it probably wasn't the brightest choice haha.

What lead to the move? Change of scenery? I toss around the idea of heading out West regularly as well but thinking I'd be facing the exact same situation as you.

For me it was a career change that was driven by wanting to have a little more freedom. I worked in the government intelligence community and there are really only a handful of places in the US that you can live (DC, Colorado, Texas, Georgia) I had lived in all of them except Georgia, but I wanted to get back closer to family. So I am in the middle of a career change, but it includes a huge amount of school, clinicals, etc. Not a problem at 20, but when you are 40 it probably wasn't the brightest choice haha.
I'm sure its not easy right now, but I would bet you make it work. Being close to family is always worth it in the end. :cheers:

No updates, but went and visited the truck in storage after 6+ months. So dusty! Haha ugh.

IMG_3534.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom