Builds 80 series where to start! Again.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stop thinking about built 200's. That would help

Yeah you have no idea.

In a week it will be 4 months for this door repair. I am fine with the amount of time. And the owner is super nice and friendly. But I fear that he didn’t understand the importance to me. He felt bad for the transport company who wasn’t going to turn this into insurance and was going to pay cash so he just found a used door threw some paint on it, charged the transport company and said here you go it’s done.

And for most people driving a 20+ year old car/truck that would be fine. But I had just spent $13k on a panel off and glass out repaint with all new body trim. So I show up and there are noticeable waves and blemishes in the paint. The owner immediately takes responsibility and says they will fix it. But at this point they had already final billed the transport company so fixing it was going to be on his dime. I said no rush take your time I know this isn’t paying work I just can’t take it after just spending all that money seeing the dents and blemishes would drive me nuts.

So they have the truck 2 more months. Then call me and say it’s done! Looks great come get it.

I drive out today and the outside looks good. I am happy. Then I open the door and where they have taped off the door. The paint peeled off and chipped where they pulled the “non-stick” masking tape off. Ugh!! If the paint just peels off with non-stick tape how can I trust the prep on the whole door?? but I feel way too bad to say anything. The owner says they will take care of it.

So as I am walking away. I notice black overspray on my $1400ea wheels. :-(. I am just dying inside at this point. It is a mud guy’s friend and I really don’t want to screw him. But I feel like **** the first time they should have taken all the time, done everything right and billed the damn transport company! Now we are both in a s*** situation.

I hate being “that” customer. :-(

Last edited:
Yeah you have no idea.

In a week it will be 4 months for this door repair. I am fine with the amount of time. And the owner is super nice and friendly. But I fear that he didn’t understand the importance to me. He felt bad for the transport company who wasn’t going to turn this into insurance and was going to pay cash so he just found a used door threw some paint on it, charged the transport company and said here you go it’s done.

And for most people driving a 20+ year old car/truck that would be fine. But I had just spent $13k on a panel off and glass out repaint with all new body trim. So I show up and there are noticeable waves and blemishes in the paint. The owner immediately takes responsibility and says they will fix it. But at this point they had already final billed the transport company so fixing it was going to be on his dime. I said no rush take your time I know this isn’t paying work I just can’t take it after just spending all that money seeing the dents and blemishes would drive me nuts.

So they have the truck 2 more months. Then call me and say it’s done! Looks great come get it.

I drive out and the outside looks good. I am happy. Then I open the door and where they have taped off the door. The paint peeled off and chipped where they pulled the “non-stick” masking tape off. Ugh!! So now I completely don’t trust the prep on the whole door but feel way to bad to say anything. The owner says they will take care of it.

So as I am walking away. I notice black overspray on my $1400ea wheels. :-(. I am just dying inside at this point. It is a mud guy’s friend and I really don’t want to screw him. But I feel like f*** the first time they should have taken all the time, done everything right and billed the damn transport company! Now we are both in a s*** situation.

I hate being “that” customer. :-(

I don't think you are being "that customer " at all. You are discerning and willing to pay for good work. You are a rarity in that respect but I don't think that's a fault, rather just uncommon in these days of "Wal Mart-ism"

I would get them to fix it to the standard that it was prior to the car carrier f'n it up. Its the body shop's job to bill the carrier appropriately for the work.

don't give up on it!

my truck (my daily driver) has been out of commission for 6 months while chasing some issues and switching shops. I have had some moments of frustration and my projects are nothing like this. but you have a big audience behind you. I can't wait to see this thing on the road.

good luck!

I don't think you are being "that customer " at all. You are discerning and willing to pay for good work. You are a rarity in that respect but I don't think that's a fault, rather just uncommon in these days of "Wal Mart-ism"

I agree...you aren't being too demanding. Also, unless you gave permission to the body shop to give a full and final release to the carrier you still have rights against the carrier. It's unfortunate that you were directed to a less than custom body shop for the repair. If you can find one that puts out the quality of the shop who did the original painting you should take it out of where it's at and move it.

Oh don't get me wrong it isn't that the shop isn't good. I think he was just trying to be a good guy to everyone involved. Like I said most people driving a 20+ year old vehicle probably wouldn't care, and he would have saved the transport carrier owner some cash. I can also take some fault for not explaining to him that it was an important project to me. I am sure it will all be fine and the owner has been nothing but accommodating, just venting I guess.

I agree...you aren't being too demanding. Also, unless you gave permission to the body shop to give a full and final release to the carrier you still have rights against the carrier. It's unfortunate that you were directed to a less than custom body shop for the repair. If you can find one that puts out the quality of the shop who did the original painting you should take it out of where it's at and move it.

Mr T is exacting revenge for the bastardization of the worlds finest 4x4 ever made:slap:;)

Hopefully this gets back to you in the condition it was in when it was loaded on the carrier, good luck. I would love to see this project move forward.

Wow!

The ATF Speed, A340F transmission stood up to 1336whp and almost 1000ft/lbs of torque on the dyno in the Baltic Blue Supra! And then they went and ran 8.5 @175mph at Texas 2K19.

All this for $3499. The adapters alone for a TH400 are close to $3000.

I really hate to blow $3499 on a transmission and have it blow up. But if they can run it behind a 1336whp Supra it has to be good for 800-900 in an 80 series right?? And you Cummins guys should be good for a while with an ATF Speed upgrade. lol

Last edited:
It is my belief that the A340 and A343F are the same internally just the bellhousing and rear mount for the transfercase are different..

So how many of those go fast parts will fit in a A343F or are you looking at adapting an A340 into your 80?

I know.... I just keep going back and forth with swapping in a KNOWN beefy trans and giving the A34x a chance. It is a $3499 gamble, maybe more if they go all out.

Ironically the A340 has all the same gear ratios as the A343 except it has a taller OD. 0.705 vs 0.753, with the power issue solved with say a "bolt on turbo" we might even be able to get a little better cruising gear too. lol.

Someone need to ship ATF a trans then

Either a built TH400 or a built 4L80E. ATI can adapt either to the 1FZ and Marks has an adapter to the transfercase.

if you don't go this A340 route, which trans were you planning on running?

They said it was made out of 4340, so it isn't as exotic as the 300M or Vasco shafts in the built transmissions but I would think since it is bigger than the transfercase shaft it should be ok.

Do you know if the spud shaft in the marks adapter has been tested to hold serious power?

They said it was made out of 4340, so it isn't as exotic as the 300M or Vasco shafts in the built transmissions but I would think since it is bigger than the transfercase it should be ok.
Most likely will be fine...I just try to eliminate those spud shafts as its another pair of splines to worry about. Hence why I went the 2wd mainshaft mod in the NV4500 back in 2015.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom