80 series: Replaced Gearbox and Power Steering Pump but still having issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Everything is OEM. The steering gearbox is an OEM remanufactured one from Advance Steering in Indio, California. Starting to think if the potential bent column/shaft is also the problem. I haven’t done my due diligence on some of the things @baldilocks described above so need to do quite a bit of homework.

If the column is in fact bent, is the recommendation to replace the upper shaft and the intermediary shaft? I love Ih8mud but also hate how much info there is on all these forums. If the gearbox is bad, should I replace with the 105 shaft one? Etc…. Too many potential causes to my issues.
OEM is OEM
Remanufactured from Advance steering is not OEM 🤷‍♂️

I doubt a bent steering shaft is your issue, I would bet it's a bad steering box.

I’ll also offer this: rebuild quality substantially varies among companies. Redhead is arguably the best in North America, and where many other companies just replace seals and occasionally bearings when rebuilding boxes, Redhead will also replace hard parts during their rebuild if anything is out of factory specs. Redhead also tests and verifies that preload, etc are in factory specs after rebuilding a box.

If it were my truck the first thing I would do is get it on Jack stands and have someone turn the wheel while you look for issues.
You can also do the same with the wheels on the ground.
The 105 sector shaft is just stronger and won't change the steering feel.

@JunkCrzr89 I have heard great things about redhead as well. Kind of regret not going with them from the get go. @Broski what’s interesting to me about redhead is that when I called them a few months back, they didn’t recommend the 105 shaft for my 35” set up. They said it is better when used for 37” tires and plus. I will see if I can return the gearbox from the local remanufacturer and see if I can send it back to redhead for an upgrade.

@JunkCrzr89 I have heard great things about redhead as well. Kind of regret not going with them from the get go. @Broski what’s interesting to me about redhead is that when I called them a few months back, they didn’t recommend the 105 shaft for my 35” set up. They said it is better when used for 37” tires and plus. I will see if I can return the gearbox from the local remanufacturer and see if I can send it back to redhead for an upgrade.
I would agree with Redhead the average driver on 35s doesn't need the 105 upgrade.

Last edited:
Well the manual doesn't specify and it's an fj80 manual. And his symptoms matched exactly. So I offered it up.
I honestly thought you were spoofing the OP with manual pages from some other vehicle, at first I was aghast! Then I thought it was funny.
I am sorry to have doubted your integrity.

For what it’s worth, I abused my 80 five or six years off road run 35’s and 37’s and never so much as twisted the original sector shaft. Some people can break anything.

For what it’s worth, I abused my 80 five or six years off road run 35’s and 37’s and never so much as twisted the original sector shaft. Some people can break anything.
Ha ha but you got sucked in the the 105 upgrade anyways.

I put the blame squarely on mud :rolleyes: I have my 105 kit setting on the shelf ready to be shipped off to Redhead with my spare Box😂

I honestly thought you were spoofing the OP with manual pages from some other vehicle, at first I was aghast! Then I thought it was funny.
I am sorry to have doubted your integrity.

Nope. Straight from our fsm and the symptoms were an exact match.

Everything is OEM. The steering gearbox is an OEM remanufactured one from Advance Steering in Indio, California. Starting to think if the potential bent column/shaft is also the problem. I haven’t done my due diligence on some of the things @baldilocks described above so need to do quite a bit of homework.

If the column is in fact bent, is the recommendation to replace the upper shaft and the intermediary shaft? I love Ih8mud but also hate how much info there is on all these forums. If the gearbox is bad, should I replace with the 105 shaft one? Etc…. Too many potential causes to my issues.
I don't see how a bent steering column could have anything to do with the issues you are describing. Like I said, my bet is on the box being rebuilt wrong. Happens all the time.

you would be wrong, seen several broken on the rubicon with 35 inch tires.....
The average driver doesn’t go rock crawling. You’ve seen several 80 series sector shafts broken on Rubicon? I’ve been up on Rubicon countless times as I lived 100 miles away for 30 years and I can’t say that I’ve ever seen “several” 80’s there in that time span.

Some people can break anything.

you would be wrong, seen several broken on the rubicon with 35 inch tires.....
1) The average 80 driver is not taking his rig on the Rubicon.
2) The average 80 driver on 35s is taking his rig to the mall🤷‍♂️
3) I have run the rubicon many times first on 35s then on 37s and I’ve been on 39s for the last two years running a stock Schecter shaft.
4) If you run hard trails like the Rubicon and Fordyce ( I do ) is the 105 upgrade a good idea, I think so.

Cheers

I don’t do any crawling, mostly mild offroading and overlanding. I don’t think I am going to get the 105 upgrade based on what I am hearing and what Redhead suggested. Going to replace the gearbox and see if that fixes my issues. May check for a bent steering shaft/column. Does anyone have a picture of how this would look? Saw some pictures on some other threads of a potential bent shaft.

If you jack the front tires off the ground and turn the steering wheel lock to lock (engine off). How does the steering feel? smooth or same as the engine is running.
Do the same thing with the engine on, does the power steering pitch (sound) change? this is not the sound when turning full lock.
Is the steering play tight over center, and then loose when turning left or right?

All of your symptoms were present before your replaced the pump and steering box?
I wonder if your pump reservoir is full of sludge? There is a very, very fine screen in the reservoir, maybe this is contributing to the steering dead spots.

fj80 and lx450 ps pump rebuild - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj80-and-lx450-ps-pump-rebuild.467550/page-7 Post # 136

The average driver doesn’t go rock crawling. You’ve seen several 80 series sector shafts broken on Rubicon? I’ve been up on Rubicon countless times as I lived 100 miles away for 30 years and I can’t say that I’ve ever seen “several” 80’s there in that time span.

Some people can break anything.
lol, yes I have seen two, can't remember if they were 35 or 37 but my point is it does happen. But yes most people on road would not need the 105 shaft but it is a weak link in the steering system for this specific model 4x4.

1) The average 80 driver is not taking his rig on the Rubicon.
2) The average 80 driver on 35s is taking his rig to the mall🤷‍♂️
3) I have run the rubicon many times first on 35s then on 37s and I’ve been on 39s for the last two years running a stock Schecter shaft.
4) If you run hard trails like the Rubicon and Fordyce ( I do ) is the 105 upgrade a good idea, I think so.

Cheers
yeah I missed the average bit, my point is it does happen off road......

lol, yes I have seen two, can't remember if they were 35 or 37 but my point is it does happen. But yes most people on road would not need the 105 shaft but it is a weak link in the steering system for this specific model 4x4.
I’ve seen several broken and twisted sector shafts posted here on Mud. I guess I was lucky during the years before I rebuilt with the 105 shaft and installed hydro assist. Didn’t even twist the splines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom