80 series body roll solutions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hope it gets the results your looking for. With the heavy duty Whiteline front and rear swaybars, I have very little body role, but it does effect "flex" on the trail. @roadstr6 was behind me and saw how stiff my LC looked and his son drove my LC on the road and he said it's a night and day difference with handling from thiers.
I think the big Whiteline sway bars are great for on-road handling, but from what I have witnessed they do seem to limit articulation off-road. @White Sheep actually broke a front sway bar link on the trail. That tells me that the truck is constantly fighting those big sway bars. Something has to give, and the factory links become the fuse. I know LCP and others offer stronger links, so that might mitigate the "weak link" problem. As for me, I just run stock components on-road and I disconnect the front sway bar and pin it up to the frame for wheeling. That seems to be the sweet spot for my truck in its current configuration (OME 850J / 863 with L shocks).

A quick word of caution about front sway bar disconnect kits: I have the LCP disconnect kit. I like it, but I had to modify it in order to make it work for me. In Phil's instructions, he cautions the purchaser to jack the truck up by the frame to let the front axle droop all the way down (until both front wheels are off the ground) to check the front driveshaft / sway bar clearance. In my truck, the driveshaft solidly contacted the sway bar. This is very dangerous and it must be avoided. If the front axle gets unloaded and the driveshaft contacts the sway bar, the sway bar can rip the LCP brackets off of the frame, severing the front brake lines on both sides. Not good. My fix was to reposition the LCP brackets further back on the frame. There are no threaded holes in the frame at that position to mount the brackets, so I just welded them on the frame.

If and when I “wheel” my 80. I simply disconnect the sway bars.
Replacing the bushings is an easy $10 fix.

If I still don’t like how it feels on road. I will go with the white line rear sway bar. If I still don’t like how it handles. I will replace the front one with a white line.

I prefer a stiffer feel with little to no body roll and I think I’m on the right track to getting the feel that I am looking for, Hopefully.

If you come to the next dinner meeting, you can drive mine to get a feeling.

Or I can drive it to @fourtrax house this weekend if your coming for the fence.

I will be at Eric’s on Saturday helping with the fence.

Yeah. I def would like to drive your 80 to feel the difference.

raising the axle panhard mounts makes a HUGE difference along with good shocks, even if you just do the rear it's worth it, the Eimkeith PCK kit is $100 very well spent

my friend Dale's new 80 with a 4" lift doesn't even have sway bars on it, it doesn't need them, we raised the panhard front and rear and put high-steer on it, huge improvment

I hope I can provide some comedic relief... I bought some used sliders (no instructions; not that I would have read them) and the driver side has a brace that positions right behind the pinch weld at the bottom of the rockers. It had holes in it so I assumed I was to bolt it to the body lip. I've been driving it for a week or two and keep hearing this funny sound every time I turn. I though something was rolling around in the back floorboard. Unable to pinpoint the origin of the noise, I swerve back and forth pretty hard one day in frustration and it dawns on me...

The body is trying to roll but is bolted to the slider (which is bolted to the frame) and is binding up. D'oh!! :bang:

I would not recommend this as a solution to prevent body roll :rofl:

80oops.jpg

@Pick Don't worry too much about your mistake - I hear that about once a week, every single home center in the country has at least one person who tries to use a wheel as an anchor point for securing a load with a ratchet strap. Just don't be THAT guy!

Bringing this back.

I have replaced every busing in the landcruiser suspension
Replaced all 4 OME shocks with new ones.
Replaced stock sway bars with thicker aftermarket versions.
The last piece will be the delta rear track bar replacement bracket.

So far the truck is getting better and better on the road. Will report back if I feel any difference once I install the rear relocation bracket

Bringing this back.

I have replaced every busing in the landcruiser suspension
Replaced all 4 OME shocks with new ones.
Replaced stock sway bars with thicker aftermarket versions.
The last piece will be the delta rear track bar replacement bracket.

So far the truck is getting better and better on the road. Will report back if I feel any difference once I install the rear relocation bracket
You will feel a difference.

Anybody that has the thicker white line sway bars.

Do you disconnect them when you go wheeling?

Leave them connected?

Only time I disconnected my seat bars ever was when on the rubicon.

Leave them connected?

I had my front swaybar axle mount snap while wheeling, taking out the short front right brake hardline on the axle in the process, as have a number of other people. If you are articulating the suspension, I think there's a good reason to disconnect at least the front. I haven't heard of anyone having issues with the rear and have never had issues myself.

Agree the pan hard lift bracket will make a noticeable difference. Was my biggest contributor to better handling

I do not disconnect the white line. I only have rear installed but wheeling has become a little milder I will say I still have too much roll for my liking with the slinky’s and RTT up top.

It’s much better than it was …. And I’ve now become accustomed to a stock modern vehicle so somewhat biased.

Yeah. I can feel the difference in better driving characteristics from the suspension with all the improvements so far.

The problem is that I got into the habit of driving the 80 a certain way to compensate for the bad body roll and suspension softness. Once I get used to the firmer suspension I think I will enjoy it a lot more.

Also, I’m not really sure what I’m looking for other than trying to continue to improve the handling on road since my truck now pulls daily driver duties and will more likely be passed down to my son in a few months when he gets his license. For some reason I feel like the truck was so much more
firmer when I first bought it but I’m sure that is not the case now that I have pretty much replaced and or upgraded the suspension with stock or aftermarket products.

I will install the new relocation bracket on Monday and hope it makes the suspension that much better on the road.

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but I honestly could not tell much of a difference in handling when I did the panhard relocation on my 80. It did center the axle, which eliminated the rubbing I was having on my driver side inner fender at full stuff. It did correct the geometry of the panhard to factory-like specs, but it was not a game changer. I notice the benefit of the panhard correction most when I am in a long, sweeping curve with a bump or dip in the middle. Before, the truck would twitch ever so slightly. Now it just feels more neutral and planted. Again, we are talking about tiny improvements here. Keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed.

Dave,

Pretty much my observations so far. With all the work I have done it is minimal improvements. But I will take any improvement I can get.

Dave one more thing.

I don’t care what anybody says.

My stickers added at least 100 horsepower to the 80. I know my truth. Hahaha

Leave them connected?

White Line swaybar, Landcruiserphil's swaybar endlinks, and Delta panhard relocation bracket. I'm very happy with the rear flex offroad and the way it drives on the street. The Delta panhard relocation bracket made just as much of a difference as the White Line swaybar.
1686622441776.png

you don’t disconnect them?

It sounds like a pain in the ass but I am def leaning towards disconnecting the new anti sway bars.

Just seems like I’m adding lots of additional tension to the stock sway bar mounts/ links.

this of course is strictly for wheeling. I probably wouldn’t disconnect them to do fire roads or mild off-road stuff.
I only plan to disconnect them for something like windrock park or a few days in Moab or the rubicon trail. Where I know I will want the most off-road flex I can get out of the suspension.

you don’t disconnect them?

It sounds like a pain in the ass but I am def leaning towards disconnecting the new anti sway bars.

Just seems like I’m adding lots of additional tension to the stock sway bar mounts/ links.

this of course is strictly for wheeling. I probably wouldn’t disconnect them to do fire roads or mild off-road stuff.
I only plan to disconnect them for something like windrock park or a few days in Moab or the rubicon trail. Where I know I will want the most off-road flex I can get out of the suspension.
I just disconnect the front for trail work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom