79 40, the kids (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well last week I came across a deal, thru some friends of some friends. An FJ40 that’s been sitting in a barn from about 2000, (that really doesn’t seem that long ago). I went back and forth about even going to look at it. The owner wasn’t advertising, but looking to start liquidating something’s. I finally decided it doesn’t hurt to look, and the poor quality pictures I had seen looked pretty good. Waited till the kid got of school and made the trek. It was a six hour round trip just to look. Well sure enough, showed up and a 79 40 sitting in a barn, in better shape then I truly expected. Hadn’t run since 2000, unknown why it got parked. Crawled over it for about an hour, looking at everything I could look at to convince me to pass. ( I wasn’t shopping for one, before this). Spoke to the owner for awhile, and he gave me his bottom dollar, which was pretty reasonable, and almost impassable. Went home and chewed on it for a few days, talked with the wife, and really evaluated my options. Was this something I wanted to commit to with, family, kids sports ( Senior, Freshman, and 8th grader) and work, just life going on. It was getting close to start looking for car for the boy, and he was convinced after looking this was something he wanted try. Evaluated his scheduled and funds, and the sacrifices he would be willing to make to get this going and on the street. Well not wanting to pass up a smoking deal, and giving my son the opportunity to learn how to work on his own vehicle with his step grandfather ( he really has the mechanical skill, I’m a 2 🍌 🍌 mechanic at best) I took the risk and agreed to purchase. Here it is the day we picked it up.

2DC18B7E-9D9F-4EFF-986F-2BEDF0811EEB.jpeg

D5AAD170-97BF-4B22-9C29-6A91E99E59B8.jpeg

0A099867-2368-46C8-826C-3B11EB0662AB.jpeg

BFBF924B-1CAE-41F6-BFF6-CE610D0612F5.jpeg

Congratulations!
Looks like a great platform to build some lasting memories.
Are my eyes going or is there some foreign contraption mounted on the hardrop?

So some specifics, it's got a 327 under hood, not terrible, but not a 2F. I have spare 84 2F, H42 and transfer case that down the road we will look at changing back. The ultimate goal is to just get running and work on it as we go, and drive it. I’ve already made that mistake of going to far on a project, and not finishing. Today was day one of working on it.

Went down bought some new plug wires and a cap, and went to working. Well by the end of the day it started, and was idling on it own. Took a couple of slow laps around the property as the brakes don’t work.

48E07878-D09E-496E-8EA0-262F79017CDE.jpeg

C34446CC-381F-44AB-A1DA-5C4B68EDC902.jpeg

5426C3B8-E758-486E-BCBB-88350CBE2760.jpeg

B5F08DD5-6A46-4A9A-81A5-7D61DD7E48CD.jpeg

Yeah so let’s talk about it’s quirks, yeah for whatever reason the PO Installed an RV type AC Unit on the roof,🤔, they also completed the red velour interior for everything. They also for whatever reason installed the battery behind the passenger seat. It’s also a respray and not the original freeborn red. After really crawling over and pressure washing it, I did find some rust, that was expected, but nothing that can’t be repaired over time. Next project is brakes, and complete fluid change for everything. But we’re only working on this during weekends and when parts come in, the son has a year before his license. That’s the goal, on the road in a year.

F3575D20-822A-4ADE-BE09-8EF0120814E5.jpeg

Congrats for your new purchase, it's a family member now.
Moreover, great that you do have spare a 2F engine and H42 tranny: if they do come from your own FJ60, you know everything about them!

Last edited:
Wow what an absoloute beauty! I love all its strange mods (maybe not the roof mounted aircon!), even the velour, it's like a time capsule. I'd definately be putting the 2f back in it. Awesome find.

Congrats! Only question... Where's the rust?

Just an FYI your top cover from your FJ60 will move the shift cane back. Never really researched it but a 84 FJ60 transfer shifter will probably move that shifter back some as well. The two transmissions use different transfer cases but shifters can be switched. Same with the top cover of the transmissions. The split case will not have a hand brake but there are solutions for that.

Here’s an easy fix, the headlight bezel is upside down. Surprised someone hadn’t already pointed it out.

Ahh damn I don’t want to be on that list, I’ll get that fixed.

Congrats! Only question... Where's the rust?

So I found some rust on floor board on the passenger side under the lovely carpet and two spots on the rear sill. It’s really nit picking.

Just an FYI your top cover from your FJ60 will move the shift cane back. Never really researched it but a 84 FJ60 transfer shifter will probably move that shifter back some as well. The two transmissions use different transfer cases but shifters can be switched. Same with the top cover of the transmissions. The split case will not have a hand brake but there are solutions for that.

So let’s talk about that, it seems like the 327 moved everything forward, because the PO notched a piece out of the heater when it shifts to 1st and 3rd. See picture. I can feel void under the carpet behind the top plate. It will be interesting to see what I find under the carpet.

23707DEE-5155-444F-8236-07CDDDF1FA38.jpeg

Nice rig!

Crazy AC and pimp interior excluded looks really solid, Congratulations. My first vehicle was the 40 I'm rebuilding again after 30 something years using parts from a 60.

If you do eventually install your 2F, four speed and spit case from a 60 without changing the top plate or shift cane your shifters will end up right about here. Probably would not be an issue with the bucket seats you have as long as the drivers are tall.

PXL_20230102_012911120.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom