'76 FJ40 Locking up after moving a few feet (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1976 FJ40. There seemed to be no issues until one day I was backing out of the garage and at a very slow speed it just stopped as if the axle seized up. I could no longer move backwards. However, I could move forward a few feet, so I did, but it locked up a foot or so before I returned the 10ft or so that would place me at the original parking spot in garage. I could no longer move forward, as it seemed to be locked. I could , however, again move back a few feet, so I did until it "locked". Then, I could move forward close to the original parking spot. Any ideas?
Thank you,
Jeremy

Have you checked to make sure you’re in 2 Hi? Get the wheels up off the ground and see if they spin freely. If you are in 4 hi or 4 low, you could be experiencing binding. I remember my dad had not taken our 40 out of 4 hi while on pavement and he had to unbind the front wheels. As far as I can remember he just jacked it up and spun the tires ones way or the other.

Check your pinions. If a driveshaft flange is loose the pinion could be locking against the ring gear.

My thought too. If it goes up and down, it goes in and out.

Yes, I was thinking that. First attempt to fix would just be engaging/disengaging several times?
Thanks
Yes. The cable may be corroded and hanging up in the sheath. For my trucks that sit for long periods of time out in the weather, I've stopped setting the parking brakes to hopefully avoid having them rust in the locked position. The parking brake cable on my FJ55 rusted up and wouldn't release. Truck would move forward but not backward. It took a few revs and a side step of the clutch to break the cable completely into. Free at last! Free at last! Then I put on a new cable.

Sure sounds like you’re in 4wd but making sure you’re in 2wd is the easiest to check or remedy. If it binds going 10 feet forward or backward, then just travel 5 feet to ease the bind and shift into 2wd.

Sure sounds like you’re in 4wd but making sure you’re in 2wd is the easiest to check or remedy. If it binds going 10 feet forward or backward, then just travel 5 feet to ease the bind and shift into 2wd.

Why do you think it would lock up if in 4WD? The steering would be tough if turning on a solid surface and steering bind up some but not lock up. Pinion loose and locking in the ring gear seems more likely.

Why do you think it would lock up if in 4WD? The steering would be tough if turning on a solid surface and steering bind up some but not lock up. Pinion loose and locking in the ring gear seems more likely.
Binding can happen in 4wd on hard pavement if the rotational radius of the tires is not exactly the same on the front tires as on the rear. A little difference due to uneven tire wear or the tire pressures are not perfectly matched, it can lead to some binding. Binding can be relieved by tire scuffing to catch up and the binding may go un-noticed when driving normal speed. It’s more likely to get noticed when moving really slow.
Not saying it has to be this, but it could be. Like Samatulich said, make sure you’re in 2wd. And not just the shifter but the t-case as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom