New FJ40 owner - a few questions! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased a 1983 FJ40 (KC-LV) in fantastically original condition - rare for the Middle East, in that it has not been tampered with.. original paint, engine and interior...all things I was desperately searching for out here. 49,000 km from new, originally supplied to Yemen where it spent much of its life in an underground car park, and then sold to UAE for a short period of time before being imported by me into Qatar. My plan is to take it back to the UK, via road, next summer.
A couple of questions:
1. The only thing missing is the original tool kit - does anyone have a complete 1983 tool bag for sale?
2. Id like to replace the tyres, but 7.50R16 seem rare here - only light truck tyres are available, so road tread and 10/12 ply rating. Has anyone used these?
3. relating to above, does anyone have positive experience of using 235/85/16 tubeless tyres and a tube with these rims? Ive heard mixed results...

Thanks in advance for any replies,
Rob

Congratulations. Please post photos of your new rig. It sounds truly amazing. You may want to place an ad in the classified section of this forum for any parts that you are trying to hunt down.

Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased a 1983 FJ40 (KC-LV) in fantastically original condition - rare for the Middle East, in that it has not been tampered with.. original paint, engine and interior...all things I was desperately searching for out here. 49,000 km from new, originally supplied to Yemen where it spent much of its life in an underground car park, and then sold to UAE for a short period of time before being imported by me into Qatar. My plan is to take it back to the UK, via road, next summer.
A couple of questions:
1. The only thing missing is the original tool kit - does anyone have a complete 1983 tool bag for sale?
2. Id like to replace the tyres, but 7.50R16 seem rare here - only light truck tyres are available, so road tread and 10/12 ply rating. Has anyone used these?
3. relating to above, does anyone have positive experience of using 235/85/16 tubeless tyres and a tube with these rims? Ive heard mixed results...

Thanks in advance for any replies,
Rob

1. I believe that the kits are available from Toyota still, I also think that there are PNs available for everything that you can order from Toyota.
2. Don't over think this, just get some 31" light truck tires or whatever the metric equivalent that is close is (265/75 r16, I think?).
3. Again, don't over think this. Get modern 16" or 17" rims, keep the boxes, and put new tires on them. There aren't a lot of tire shops that will deal with split rims any more in a significant portion of the world you'll be driving through to get the truck back to the UK. Have the tires removed from the OE rims and put the rims in the boxes the new rims came with, and put them in the back of the truck for your drive back. Hang onto the split rims as a 'hey, I have this very original FJ40, and I even have the original rims'. That will mean a lot to a collector.

Congratulations. Please post photos of your new rig. It sounds truly amazing. You may want to place an ad in the classified section of this forum for any parts that you are trying to hunt down.
Thanks, I'm really pleased with. Here are a few photos i have of it. Not sure if the old Panasonic radio is standard, its possibly from an FJ60 - although i guess dealers fitted whatever they had at that point in time, given the FJ60 was out around then too.

f3a30715-d765-4c6b-973c-f269ddce89b0.JPG

05D2B607-A9A2-4790-AE47-DEF81C460FC5.JPG

16ed0b14-366f-4f93-85de-ee58094fe604.JPG

b5d8c436-49ea-4e85-adee-19f298c0b3e2.JPG

47f7ac98-6938-4818-9028-7178e0fb3745.JPG

I have seen American Ram 1500s in the UK that were left hand drive. When you are in a rental of the appropriate size and narrowness of the roads they seem huge when you are on coming with them.

Last edited:
Congratulations, it's beautiful!

I don't recommend using tubeless tires with tubes. I tried the combination years ago with BFG ATs and had several failures. If you want to keep a stock look and use 235/85 x 16 tires, look at the 16-inch rims from City Racer. That's what I run now.
Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 9.10.21 PM.png

Nice truck.
I'm running 16 inch split rings with 750 16 Yokohama Super Hajari tyres (factory fitment in South Africa). They're pretty good all round and you should find them in the middle east.
Be wary of fitting modem tyres on the old split ring wheels - the bead profile is slightly different. Although I'm sure many people use them anyway, id either track down some Hajari's or replace the wheels as suggested.

Tyres are easy enough to change by hand with a good set of levers on these rims, which is dead handy in the Bush

Congratulations on the find Rob! AC and power steering are very nice options to have!

As to your first question, the toolkit is no longer available but City Racer has an excellent replacement for the bag. Depending on how original you require, the basic hand tools found in the kit for '83 are in the 70 series kit which cost here in South Africa only some £25 odd. You can use them until you find a period correct set.

On the tyre front, do not get rid of the original pattern tyres you have on it. Locally they were know as Dunlop Universals and originally they were Dunlop RK3 out of Japan. Middle East will likely have its own moniker but the look is correct.

Finding 7.50/16's in the UK is not hard, the Land Rover contingent use them. Here is an example of a perfectly good usable tyre available in the UK and they are not expensive- GENERAL Super All Grip (SAG) 7.50/R16 112/110N | ORGI 1 - https://www.4site4x4tyres.co.uk/tyre-search/details/3460/general-super-all-grip-sag-750r16.

Personally, I would opt for these for looks alone 7.50-16 (8-ply 107/112L) Deestone D503 Land Rover tyre TT - https://www.tractortyresdirect.co.uk/750-16-8-ply-deestone-d503-land-rover-style-crossply-tyre.

The best handling overall 7.50 is however the Michelin XZL - Tyre Michelin 7.50R16C 116N 10PR, M+S, POR | 4X4 O/R XZL | TyreLeader.co.uk - https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/michelin/4x4-o-r-xzl/7.50r16c-116n-558684

All three options show as being in stock. If your local tyre place won't fit the tyres a lorry tyre shop or old school shed outfit will very likely do so.

Lastly, bathe the Cruiser inside and out in Fluid Film when you get home. It has not seen much rain in its life and let's be honest, the UK is not an arid place and rust is an ever present danger.

Take a ton of photos and upload for us when you take the trip home!

Thanks, I'm really pleased with. Here are a few photos i have of it. Not sure if the old Panasonic radio is standard, its possibly from an FJ60 - although i guess dealers fitted whatever they had at that point in time, given the FJ60 was out around then too.

View attachment 3519679

View attachment 3519680

View attachment 3519681

View attachment 3519685

View attachment 3519686

Lovely and clean I'm wondering how much did costed you? I know much clean FJ45 (not FJ40) with under 7000KM listed for sale in my country 😜

IMG-20231227-WA0032.jpg

IMG_20231227_220722.jpg

IMG-20231227-WA0031.jpg

IMG-20231227-WA0030.jpg

IMG-20231227-WA0029.jpg

Last edited:
1. I believe that the kits are available from Toyota still, I also think that there are PNs available for everything that you can order from Toyota.
2. Don't over think this, just get some 31" light truck tires or whatever the metric equivalent that is close is (265/75 r16, I think?).
3. Again, don't over think this. Get modern 16" or 17" rims, keep the boxes, and put new tires on them. There aren't a lot of tire shops that will deal with split rims any more in a significant portion of the world you'll be driving through to get the truck back to the UK. Have the tires removed from the OE rims and put the rims in the boxes the new rims came with, and put them in the back of the truck for your drive back. Hang onto the split rims as a 'hey, I have this very original FJ40, and I even have the original rims'. That will mean a lot to a collector.

Yes, I've seen these thanks - I think the jack handle is different, but may resort to one if I cant find a period one at a decent price.

I've considered replacing the rims with modern tubeless ones, but for two reasons thought it would be best to stick with the originals:
1. There isn't much space in the back of these vehicles, and for such a long trip I need to ensure I have enough space for other essentials. x5 rims in boxes is going to take up over half of the usable space.

2. These split ring rims seem perfect for self recovery, providing I have tubes and tyre irons. So will probably get the rims checked over and cleaned up to ensure they are still serviceable.

Thanks. Not too common, but Europe is close by, so quite a big market there if I ever decided to sell. Plus. for short trips around the village it doesn't really matter about it being LHD.
That's a very nice FJ40! Is it common to drive a left-hand drive vehicle in the UK?

Congratulations, it's beautiful!

I don't recommend using tubeless tires with tubes. I tried the combination years ago with BFG ATs and had several failures. If you want to keep a stock look and use 235/85 x 16 tires, look at the 16-inch rims from City Racer. That's what I run now.
View attachment 3519713
Thanks Jonathon - yours is also very nice.
Those wheels caught my attention whilst browsing the web the other night, unfrtounatly the cost to purchase and ship to Qatar is a little high. I had wondered if the steel rims fitted to the newer 70 series pick ups would fit?

Nice truck.
I'm running 16 inch split rings with 750 16 Yokohama Super Hajari tyres (factory fitment in South Africa). They're pretty good all round and you should find them in the middle east.
Be wary of fitting modem tyres on the old split ring wheels - the bead profile is slightly different. Although I'm sure many people use them anyway, id either track down some Hajari's or replace the wheels as suggested.

Tyres are easy enough to change by hand with a good set of levers on these rims, which is dead handy in the Bush
Yes, I've been searching for these. Unfortunatley they don't seem available in Qatar. The RY215 are the only 7.50R16 I can get from Yokohama...maybe i'd have more luck in UAE.

I see you're in Bristol - maybe we'll get chance to go for a drive when I get back...this is roughly where I'll be based.

Lovely and clean I'm wondering how much did costed you? I know much clean FJ45 (not FJ40) with under 7000KM listed for sale

7000km vehicles don't show marks all over the speedometer cluster, the screws holding the cluster and have the bonnet catches wear through a poor overpaint done over the older worn out area as highlighted-

Screenshot_20231230_142026_Firefox~2.jpg

The "benefits" of split rims are wildly overstated. I ran them for several years on my FJ40, and have several tens of thousands of miles experience with them in Africa. Yes, you can break down a wheel and fix a puncture in the field—but ANY puncture requires the full procedure. Safari clients get tired of waiting after a while. With tubeless tires and a plug kit most punctures take about three minutes to fix, on the vehicle. And with Tyrepliers and irons I can pull a tire off a non-split-rim wheel anyway if I need to. Most tires on split rims in Africa etc. are still heavy and rigid bias-ply and ten-ply rated, to fend off thorns and minimize a 30-minute long (if you're good) tube-patching procedure. Split rims sound all romantic and bushman; the reality is different.
tough tire 2 copy.jpg

Post your video on YouTube or other video hosting site, and then use the video embed icon above, the mountain with the film icon behind it. When you click that it shows the list of sources you can link to.

Congratulations on the find Rob! AC and power steering are very nice options to have!

As to your first question, the toolkit is no longer available but City Racer has an excellent replacement for the bag. Depending on how original you require, the basic hand tools found in the kit for '83 are in the 70 series kit which cost here in South Africa only some £25 odd. You can use them until you find a period correct set.

On the tyre front, do not get rid of the original pattern tyres you have on it. Locally they were know as Dunlop Universals and originally they were Dunlop RK3 out of Japan. Middle East will likely have its own moniker but the look is correct.

Finding 7.50/16's in the UK is not hard, the Land Rover contingent use them. Here is an example of a perfectly good usable tyre available in the UK and they are not expensive- GENERAL Super All Grip (SAG) 7.50/R16 112/110N | ORGI 1 - https://www.4site4x4tyres.co.uk/tyre-search/details/3460/general-super-all-grip-sag-750r16.

Personally, I would opt for these for looks alone 7.50-16 (8-ply 107/112L) Deestone D503 Land Rover tyre TT - https://www.tractortyresdirect.co.uk/750-16-8-ply-deestone-d503-land-rover-style-crossply-tyre.

The best handling overall 7.50 is however the Michelin XZL - Tyre Michelin 7.50R16C 116N 10PR, M+S, POR | 4X4 O/R XZL | TyreLeader.co.uk - https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/michelin/4x4-o-r-xzl/7.50r16c-116n-558684

All three options show as being in stock. If your local tyre place won't fit the tyres a lorry tyre shop or old school shed outfit will very likely do so.

Lastly, bathe the Cruiser inside and out in Fluid Film when you get home. It has not seen much rain in its life and let's be honest, the UK is not an arid place and rust is an ever present danger.

Take a ton of photos and upload for us when you take the trip home!
Thanks..

Yes I was pleased to see it came with AC, Power Steering and a heater. All good, useful options it seems.
I plan to keep the current tyres for a little longer, as you say - they look the part. They are made by a company called Swallow, and seem to be a copy of the old Dunlop pattern, as you suggest. Not sure on the quality, but i've noticed a lot of Middle Eastern 'restorations' being sold with these, so not surprised to see them on it.

Since the majority of the journey is going to be on road, i was wondering about putting some light truck/commercial 10 ply road tyres on it. Not only are they available here in 7.50 R16, but thought they might be quite hard wearing. Any experience of these?

Ah rust... yes, familiar with that battle. This will be joining a collection of mainly British classics that I spend a lot of effort keeping the rust at bay. I've already bought an Airchamber for her to live in inside the storage barn, but will look into the Fluid Film solution - wool wax is pretty amazing stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom