60 or 80 or other buying advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi all,

i originally posted in the 80 series forum and got some great advice. i am still trying to dial in what i should be shooting for. would anyone mind giving this post a look and providing advice? i'm having a devil of a time settling on a vehicle. below is a copy of the post in the 80 series forum.

so far i have gotten through a lot of the linked information in the 80 series forum and i have ordered owners manuals for the 80LC and 80LX (so i now how to work the lockers if i am looking at a vehicle). now i'm thinking of picking up a 60 series owners manual in part because i like the lower tech and the option for stick shift.

i /think/ i can find the time and mojo to do my own work on the vehicle but moving to something with relatively low gas mileage sort of still kills me.

post below. THANKS

jonathan

-

hi all,

i am looking to buy a used land cruiser and would have purchased one previously but my toyota mechanic and - well really all mechanics i talk to end up convincing me not to buy one due to reliability issues. what i am hoping for is some direction on a specific make and model that will be extremely low maintenance. i don't expect to make many modifications to the vehicle but i do expect to get out to some off road (big bend) and out of the way locations (alaska).

would like's: air bags, V6, 4WD, towing (1 or 2 motorcycles) and really, really reliable no hassle vehicle. going back to a stick could be nice as well.

i realize this is a forum for mostly modding vehicles but i am hoping there is enough expertise to steer me in the right direction.

also, i don't mind stepping up price-wise but i'd rather do it for reliability than farkles.

THANKS for any help,

jonathan

background:

1. i bought a 93 r100 gs bmw recently and have been wrenching on it as a new wrench so i have some relatively new found confidence in working on a vehicle.

2. i have had a 98 toyota tacoma 4cyl 4WD since 2000 which has been nothing but exceptional. it's got 196K on it, has angle iron welded to the bed and a bomber ladder rack bolted to the angle iron. so as far as working on a construction job or hauling material it is a beast but it is getting old for road tripping in and the 2-seater is inconvenient at this point.

3. i recently bought a 2003 V6 2WD 4 runner with 150K on it because i couldn't pass up the deal but it does not have 4WD and i basically don't want all the electronics. i'd like to move back to something simpler. i find the 2003 to be a pain ergonomically with the controls and something as simple as a bulb going out in the dash requires full removal of the dash. also, i want to drive a car and not have it try to drive me.

THANKS

You mentioned wanting something "extremely low maintenance" and that eliminates a 60 series. I would argue that it might also eliminate the 80 series as well.

60's and 80's are extremely well built machines. But anytime you own a piece of equipment that is 20 or 30 years old, maintenance is going to be part of the experience. There's just no way around that. Both of these models should be considered high maintenance. The 80 series would be somewhat less, but not much.

You also mentioned off-roading in Big Bend and in Alaska. Unless your trailering, that's a long way to travel in a leaf spring 60 series. Advantage goes to the 80 series here.

If you're dead set on owning a classic cruiser, one other option might be to look at purchasing a restored cruiser from a place that offers a warranty. One company I can think of is The FJ Company. PM @cwwfj60 for details. But this company, and a few others like it, sell completely restored Cruisers and if something goes wrong, these guys will warranty their work. You better have deep pockets if you want to explore this option.

Good luck buddy...

Gas mileage on a FJ60 will be the least of your concerns. If you live in a smog state, might as well get a prescription of Xanax too while you're at it if you purchase the truck.

When new, the FZJ80 was a superior vehicle to the FJ60 in almost every way... but now after everything has worn out? I'm not so sure.
Although I personally never liked the appearance of the 80 series with its round bloated look, the vehicle proved to be a very good Land Cruiser.

But now it's running into all the same problems that the 60 has already had to deal with, but with the 80 everything is much more complicated (and electronic).

I've owned my FJ60 for 29 years. It has never seen a mechanic once in that time. It has needed repairs & maintenance stuff, but I've always done the work myself.

Working on a FJ60 2F engine, drivetrain & chassis is probably the easiest vehicle to work on of just about any car on the road. It's easy because it's simple and prehistoric in design. But with that simplicity comes the trade off of performance. I'll say it right here, the 2F engine is a slow dog compared to any similar sized vehicle on the road. You have to test drive one to understand. It truly is a Land Cruiser.

So...
Knowing what I know about the FJ60 (and the little I know of the FZJ80 besides reading of other people's experiences on Mud)... Personally, I would not buy a FZJ80 now. Ten years ago? Yeah maybe. But not now.

But then again... If I did not own any vehicle at all and needed a 4WD and could only own one car...... I wouldn't buy either of them.

I'll probably keep my FJ60 until I die because I love it, but I would never buy another one.
Time to move on.
I know, I know, blasphemy on this forum... but those are my feelings.
The trucks are just too damn old.

I've owned a 60 for 20 years and it just got a 6BT conversion. I've spent a small fortune on the conversion but it is what I want. A friend of mine had an 80 for years.

I love the 60 but stock it doesn't make much power and the mpg is low - figure 12 avg at best. The 80 has more luxury but down the road power feels about the same as the 60 to me. Probably due to the auto tranny.

At this age seals are going to leak. My 60 had numerous vacuum hoses and emission switches as it was at the end of the carb era. My experience has been that a 60 is a reliable vehicle but you have to love it, maintain it, and when you need parts be ready for shocking prices.

If you love them do it. If not get something newer.

Gas mileage on a FJ60 will be the least of your concerns. If you live in a smog state, might as well get a prescription of Xanax too while you're at it if you purchase the truck.

When new, the FZJ80 was a superior vehicle to the FJ60 in almost every way... but now after everything has worn out? I'm not so sure.
Although I personally never liked the appearance of the 80 series with its round bloated look, the vehicle proved to be a very good Land Cruiser.

But now it's running into all the same problems that the 60 has already had to deal with, but with the 80 everything is much more complicated (and electronic).

I've owned my FJ60 for 29 years. It has never seen a mechanic once in that time. It has needed repairs & maintenance stuff, but I've always done the work myself.

Working on a FJ60 2F engine, drivetrain & chassis is probably the easiest vehicle to work on of just about any car on the road. It's easy because it's simple and prehistoric in design. But with that simplicity comes the trade off of performance. I'll say it right here, the 2F engine is a slow dog compared to any similar sized vehicle on the road. You have to test drive one to understand. It truly is a Land Cruiser.

So...
Knowing what I know about the FJ60 (and the little I know of the FZJ80 besides reading of other people's experiences on Mud)... Personally, I would not buy a FZJ80 now. Ten years ago? Yeah maybe. But not now.

But then again... If I did not own any vehicle at all and needed a 4WD and could only own one car...... I wouldn't buy either of them.

I'll probably keep my FJ60 until I die because I love it, but I would never buy another one.
Time to move on.
I know, I know, blasphemy on this forum... but those are my feelings.
The trucks are just too damn old.

thanks. i just fixed up a 93 bmw with advice on a forum and the no bull**** help was really fantastic. actually as a new wrench getting into that machine was really a joy.

i am not sure i have the head or the time to be so dedicated in learning another machine but if i did i would keep it as i plan to do with the bike.

wouldn't really think about going there but i am having a heck of a time checking all the boxes:

camp out in the truck in remote areas
tow something
load large construction materials in and /on/ top of it
take clients out in it
/enjoy/ driving it. i mean i am actually missing my 87 nissan stick these days.
taco reliability, gas mileage and simplicity

this is the taco. i load big honking pieces of structural steel (and everything else) on the rack sometimes.

IMG_9256.JPG

buy a used 100 series....air bags, V8, parts can be found......a used 100 IMOP is one of the best buys out there.

I have them all.........while the 100 is no classic like a 60.....its a fantastic machine and the most trouble free rig I have ever had

Double cab 4WD Taco. No LC will fit your bill for gas mileage. Power got much better over the years but real world mpgs are still around 13-15.

If you can take fuel efficiency and a manual transmission off your list, then get a 100 series and tow your steel (and your bikes) on a trailer. As Landpimp said above, they're very reliable and trouble free. New enough to count on, and many are old enough to be affordable. They're also not quite classic yet so you're not paying a premium for cool.

It's not that 60s and 80s are inherently unreliable... they're just old.

buy a used 100 series....air bags, V8, parts can be found......a used 100 IMOP is one of the best buys out there...

Agreed, if you must have a Land Cruiser. Co worker has one of these with close to 300K miles and it drives like brand new. They're even better looking than the 80 series, IMO. Still an incredible gas guzzler, but not so bad as my 62.

Actually, maybe a 3rd generation 4Runner with the V-6 and stick shift would be a better fit. They're also great trucks.

hi all,

thanks for the /great/ help. i've been trying to get a direction on this for awhile. so some quick questions please?

@DFXR thanks for the suggestion to trailer items. i am realizing now that i have been working on a "poverty conscious" approach with the 2 seater tacoma filling so many needs when i was really, really tight. it is such a multifunctional vehicle that i have been sort of fixated on getting a heavy duty ladder rack on a newer vehicle. no reason i can't step up to using a trailer for any heavy loads. awesome suggestion.

@Landpimp, @DFXR can you please help me with the "technological" aspect of the 100 series land cruiser? there is actually one on my bike route for sale (V8) and i must say it is a super sweet looking vehicle. however, one thing i have been committed to is to "dumb down" technologically from the 2003 2WD 4 runner i bought and have been riding. i find the 98 tacoma to be a lot more my speed and after working on a 93 r100gs bmw i seem to be very interested in doing at least some work on a vehicle. between the electrically locking rear hatch, the light out in the dash (requiring full dash removal) and various other items that i am sure will cost a fortune to fix if they go bad i am thinking of a "low tech" vehicle. obviously i have to throw all that out the window if i go with the 100 series?

also, when gas prices go up i am going to be paying through the nose to fill the LC 100 as compared to a 3rd gen V6 4 runner or even a first gen 4WD 4cyl tacoma...?

@89GASHOG yeah, so V6 stick 4 runner in super condition with lowest mileage possible would be a pretty darn good compromise, yeah? at that point i would sell the 2003 4 runner and think long and hard about selling the 190K 98 4WD tacoma?! i mean, this would be a solid route to take, yes? i hate to say it but the more i get into this the more i have started to think about pimping out the 98 tacoma!

@DFXR, all so the 4WD taco double cab also seems to check a lot of boxes. somehow at this stage i am really thinking of getting something that is more luxury and less pickup. i seem to have been driving pickups for 20 years at this point.

also, can i please ask everyone really quickly about TRAIL driving in terms of functionality? i'm assuming the 60/80 series with locking differentials (i'm studying up on these) is top of the list? then:

100 series land cruiser
4WD tacoma (two seater then extra cab)
V6 3rd gen stick shift 4 runner

or in some cases i guess the 2 seater 4WD tacoma is higher on the list...?

THANKS

jon

also, can i please ask everyone really quickly about TRAIL driving in terms of functionality? i'm assuming the 60/80 series with locking differentials (i'm studying up on these) is top of the list?
I've driven my bone stock '84 FJ60 on many rough/steep/rocky trails and it pretty much gets me anywhere I want to go. I don't do any extreme rock crawling, but remote places in Nevada, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico, both mountains and deserts. Lockers many be an option, but not always needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom