4runner.... rescue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are there any bolt in seat options? My wife is pregnant and not thrilled with the unadjustableness of the passenger seat. Sure she won’t be pregnant forever, but it would be nice to be able to slide the passenger seat around.

You could get a seat from a pickup, 3 of the 4 bolts line up. But good luck getting someone into the back seat.

So the pickup seats don’t slide forward to access behind them?

Not nearly as far as the 4Runner seat. Slide the driver's seat forward to see if it's enough, it should be similar as the pickup passenger seat.

I dunno about 22res being easy to find. I’ve found one on Craigslist within 100 miles but the history is sketchy. I’ll broaden my search area, but was hoping to find something within 2 hours.

I do agree on the “being cheap compared to cruisers” part. I’m excited to get tinkering and NOT break the bank. After crawling around inside this thing it feels like a mini fj60. I just hope it’s a LITTLE quicker on the street.
If you want to build a motor, I have 2 22re i'd sell together for $250, both are free, one has one bad rod bearing the other is supposed to be a good motor. I don't know anything about them, they came with a bunch of other parts i bought. I'm in Harrisonburg.

If you want to build a motor, I have 2 22re i'd sell together for $250, both are free, one has one bad rod bearing the other is supposed to be a good motor. I don't know anything about them, they came with a bunch of other parts i bought. I'm in Harrisonburg.

I’m all good. If another motor goes into this thing it won’t be a 22re. Got any other cool minitruck parts??

I’m all good. If another motor goes into this thing it won’t be a 22re. Got any other cool minitruck parts??
Im a LC hoarder but a few years ago my 8yr old decided he wanted to run a crawler so i built him one out of an 85 truck. Now i'm a minitruck parts hoarder, I have all kinds of crap.

Im a LC hoarder but a few years ago my 8yr old decided he wanted to run a crawler so i built him one out of an 85 truck. Now i'm a minitruck parts hoarder, I have all kinds of crap.

You have any interior parts for sale by chance?

Small update. I bought a Tacoma that came with some SCS F5 wheels and 295s. Not sure if I like them on the 4Runner but they definitely weren’t staying on the Tacoma.

I’ve ordered some OME CS009r springs to get the rear up a bit. I’ll probably mix ‘n’ match with my stock leaves to get about a 1.5” lift in the back.

Otherwise I’ve been driving this thing and it’s great. On cold mornings the 22RE sounds like it’s going to explode, but it hasn’t yet so I’m just going to drive it until it does.

B65C91B6-E3E3-404F-89AD-4F2313F69373.jpeg
383A64F0-102E-4529-ACE6-49D19FAACB74.jpeg

Swapped in some modified OME CS009r springs and I’m very pleased. Gave me about 3” over my saggy stock springs and the shackle angle turned out very good.
E8A13CC8-AEF2-4629-B4C3-1B7CFE831E47.jpeg
5FBFBF5D-B448-4081-9BE1-1E6AE3AD9FF6.jpeg
5A8502AB-AC9E-4F2E-93D0-6FB7FCEAC17D.jpeg

Shackle angle looks perfect from my livingroom!

Softopper. It’s so rad. I hated the back glass. Now I’m thinking of doing the tailgate swap and cutting the rear quarters. This thing is a little rusty, it was headed to the scrapyard when I bought it, and I already trimmed the front and rear fenders to remove rust and eventually accommodate 35s - I’ve passed the point of no return.

616B025E-6376-4BF6-96BB-EA4D39D3997F.jpeg
DC532BBF-5760-4372-8ED8-7EFED09650B7.jpeg
C6E38EA6-C437-4CBD-A9B3-3C309BC3D786.jpeg

My only complaint with the softopper is the snaps are a tiny bit off. I can’t slide the rail back anymore because the rear snap is REALLY tight but it leaves a bulge at the front where the side rail meets the top rail - you can see it in the pictures. I’m thinking of cutting down the side rail a tiny bit or remounting the snap on the side rail.

My Softopper is awesome. My only critique is the straps that hold the sides up when rolled. I don’t take mine off ever, as it’s shade for my dog, and the lack of a strap at the back is an oversight. The last 16” or so unravels when it gets hot (the only time it’s rolled up). I added another strap about 3” from the back. Now it’s perfect!

Welp the boredom of social distancing finally made me buy something. Found a set of almost new 35” KM2s on steel wheels for $600. I couldn’t pass them up.

Compared to the ratty old 295 nittos:
B1AD5FA9-81D2-478F-9146-8FD190E9AF1E.jpeg

And shoehorned on the 4Runner:
7D92516C-DAD2-477D-88AC-50B54532E6C6.jpeg

its actually not going to take as much trimming as I thought. I had already trimmed some in the rear to eliminate some rust. The front will take some work but they are close.

Got the rear trimmed. Probably went a little wide but there was some rust that I wanted to get rid of.

DF957830-7FE9-421F-9791-ABFA82F10CBD.jpeg

3A3C7DD3-D727-4A25-BA12-230B46F77A61.jpeg

Front just needs a little trimming behind the tire. Then I get to weld (booger) in sheet metal - my favorite.

What is the best way to clean body sheet metal for welding?. I usually wire wheel, then sanding wheel, then wire until it’s shiny clean, but I can’t get decent welds. Seems there is always a little bubble that pops out when stictching panels together.

I think getting a welder was the worst thing that ever happened to me.

Passenger side firewall trimming. The 35 will probably juuuuust rub at full stuff full lock. I couldn’t achieve full stuff so I got it as close as I could without moving the computer in the kick panel. I plated the body mount bud it’s not there in these pictures.

F450A750-9971-4563-84BA-E8ED2CE2DE01.jpeg
92210819-CBB2-41E5-85C5-B5006160DC3B.jpeg

Got the rear trimmed. Probably went a little wide but there was some rust that I wanted to get rid of.
You might ask @joseywales about the welding. He's pretty sharp with the welder, if you look at his posts, and his business.

View attachment 2276105
View attachment 2276106
Front just needs a little trimming behind the tire. Then I get to weld (booger) in sheet metal - my favorite.

What is the best way to clean body sheet metal for welding?. I usually wire wheel, then sanding wheel, then wire until it’s shiny clean, but I can’t get decent welds. Seems there is always a little bubble that pops out when stictching panels together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom