4runner.... rescue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The third step is realizing how deep your addiction is and modifying said Highlander...
highlander_1100.jpg

I dunno. We have an '04 GX470 with 200k miles on it and the 100 had 170k mi. 100 was rattly, the switches felt cheap, the door panels were loud and the switch panels wobbled around.

My 100 has 230,000 on it and is used hard. It doesn’t rattle and the interior is solid and nice. As long as you like what you got...

My 100 has 230,000 on it and is used hard. It doesn’t rattle and the interior is solid and nice. As long as you like what you got...

Doesn’t matter to me, but my wife loves the Highlander. I liked the 100 and would have kept it but the GX has too many dents in it. My wife and father in law both backed it into other vehicles. We weren’t going to see any money out of the GX so now it’s mine!

I sold my 100 series yesterday and today we bought a highlander. Part of the negotiations included a brand new set of wheels/tires from a 4runner trail they had sitting in the showroom. I hope they don’t look too out of place on the Cornrunner.

Tires still had the nubs on them....View attachment 1925005

I think that size will work well with 4.88s.

I'm confused. What vehicle will you be installing those fancy wheels with the terrible Bridgestone tires?

They’re going on the 4Runner. Unless they’re too fancy. Time will tell.

I need to install the rear driveshaft and bleed the brakes and take her for a test drive. I can’t wait to pop it in low.

Newer wheels look good in my opinion, but I have yet to see those ones one a 1st Gen. I’m running ‘06 Tundra 17s on mine, and they look “modern” to me.

6535B264-E494-47ED-B6B9-212EC5967992.jpeg

Newer wheels look good in my opinion, but I have yet to see those ones one a 1st Gen. I’m running ‘06 Tundra 17s on mine, and they look “modern” to me.

View attachment 1926164

Yeah there’s a whole thread with folks running the newer wheels. Most of them I like. I think these will looks decent, but they are VERY shiny. I’ll post pictures for the peanut gallery when I get them on.

She runs again! I think I like the fancy wheels and the tires are silent on the road. It won’t let me upload a video from my phone so you don’t get to see the 4.7 case in action. It’s pretty neat though!

2638D0C8-F1C9-42D7-8D3A-48331516CF89.jpeg
5F3C36D4-DB0B-4514-BEFC-C257C18DE2F2.jpeg

That looks perfect! I have a set of those sitting in my garage that I am very tempted to put on my '85... But wrapped in 37x12.50r17 STT Pros.

Yea. When she’s on a solid axle I think these wheels will look great with some aggressive 35s.

nice looking 4runner, glad you kept it! couple of questions, new 89 owner myself. the IFS set up, i see most people swap out for a solid front axle and leaf springs, i take it mainly for the wheeling capability?
also, anyone know if the roll cage was specific to US models only? i have a JDM spec 89 and although i havnt popped the roof off yet, pretty sure no roll cage

@Vossie

I’d guess most people (myself included) do an SAS because they read about it on forums and feel they need/want to.

In my opinion, unless you are building a dedicated rock crawler on 35”+ tires the IFS will be more than capable enough if you are semi intelligent about building and wheeling it. My plan is to leave it stock, beef up the steering a bit and run 33s.

I’d like to do an SAS because i’ve always wanted to and it seems like a fun project - not because I’ve pushed the limits of the IFS.

As for the rollbar I couldn’t tell you. Every first gen I’ve seen in the US has had one.

@BlueCruiser84

ja, thought so. my pa has an 99 Gilbrata spec hilux double cab which has IFS and we;ve taken that some crazy places. i guess it makes more sense SAS with bigger wheels. im planning on only running 31's as this will be my DD, with the odd Zambezi trip now and again.

will have to keep looking into the roll bar

I like the ifs, but wouldn’t say no if mine had come solid axle. Both are good if you are staying 33” or less, and not rock crawling. I think the ifs is better suited to skinnier tires too. A 33x10.50 or 16”/17” metric equivalent is perfect in my mind for a mild off-roader.

Google search Hilux Surf from the 84-89 era and check images. You will see the roll bars in some pics if they were offered other than NA.

Keep it, but I'm biased. I would save as many 4Runners as I possibly could if I had the $, time, and place to put them.
Don't waste your time with a 22RE. 3RZ at a minimum. 5VZ or 1UZ If you are feeling ambitious.

All legal! Drove her to do little bike riding today. Still idles s***ty - dunno what that’s about, but she cruises down the road just fine. I’ll be honest, I forgot how quiet and awesome road tires are on the .... road. Who woulda thunk it?

The 4.88s and 265/70r17s are pretty peppy. It actually makes first gear kind of stupid.

Next thing to do is take apart the passenger door and see if I can find my key code. My little sliver of metal that I call a key is not long for this world.

And a picture just ‘cuz.
2B03AE15-C1FA-4891-A186-64B3C5D75F8F.jpeg

Put about 150 miles on her yesterday. All highway. Filled up before my trip and after corrrecting for tire size/over gearing I got somewhere around 21.5 mpg with primarily in town driving. That’s awesome. Im curious to see what it will get on mostly highway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom