4 on the tree adapter interest (1 Viewer)

Are you interested in buying one?

• Yes just the adapter, I can figure out modifying the rest of the parts.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Yes but only if the adapter comes with a pre-made side shifter arm, I can modify a tranny hump.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Yes but only if the adapter comes with a modified tranny hump, I can modify a shifter arm.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes but only if the adapter comes with ready to go side shifter arm AND tranny hump.

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hey everyone,
So I am trying to gauge interest in the 4 speed on the tree adapter. If I have an idea on the number I can start figuring out costs to get these made and what is feasible.
As it stands we have the adapter ready to go (design is good). You can shift through 4 speeds on the column!! There are two final hurdles, 1. Trying to figure out the final details on the little tweaks needed for the side shifter arm. Modifying the arm will likely mean taking an existing shifter arm and cutting it to the correct length and then re-welding it. If there is enough interest I can look into having arms pre-made.
2. Tranny hump modification.
The tranny hump is the biggest hurdle. There are two paths that can take. 1. the end user will need to modify their own hump (you will need a hump and welding skills). 2. There is some sort of pre-made hump that looks stock but has the clearance. The second option would only happen if there is enough interest to make that feasible. I would imagine it being a high quality fiberglass unit. Metal would be way too much $$.
Thanks the help in figuring this out! :cheers:

I voted just the adapter because I know I at least have the tools and abilities to do the needed modifications. That being said, if a good reproduction fiberglass trans cover could be bought along with the kit for say sub $400-500 bucks, I'd likely be a buyer.

Instead of making new arms, maybe consider offering an arm modification service? Buyer sends in their arm to a partner shop that has a jig and knowledge of how to mod the arm and arm can be returned with the adapter/kit. You're probably way ahead of me on this though!

I'm a buyer of the adapter as soon as they hit the market Chase regardless of having solutions to the arm or tranny hump available.

@65swb45 was working on similar years ago, not sure where he ended up with it.
the old Stouts had a 4 on the column setup

Any idea what the adapter will be priced at? Thanks :cheers: :steer:
Waiting to chat with a fellow cruiserhead for possible production pricing. I will have a definitive answer soon! :)

Im interested if this happens.
I am definitely interested. I think a more OEM metal trans hump option would be a better vs. fiberglass. Realsteel (?)cruiser parts, or Aqualu May be interested in a fabrication?? Please keep this going. Thanks!

I’m interested. I have a 70 getting ready to put a 2f in and have a spare 4 speed. I’m guessing I use the existing transfer case for the vacuum shift or just swap the vacuum shift assembly? I was going to keep running the 3 speed just for the column shift so this might be just what I’m looking for.

I’m interested. I have a 70 getting ready to put a 2f in and have a spare 4 speed. I’m guessing I use the existing transfer case for the vacuum shift or just swap the vacuum shift assembly? I was going to keep running the 3 speed just for the column shift so this might be just what I’m looking for.
I am going to keep my 3 speed transfer case but you do have to adapt it a little to the 4 speed transmission. @cruiseroutfit has a good page on what is needed for that: Landcruiser H42 4 Speed Trans. to Landcruiser 3 speed T-Case - https://cruiserteq.com/blog/landcruiser-h42-4-speed-trans-to-landcruiser-3-speed-tcase/

Curious have you tried the 73-78 for clearance? When I installed an H42 in my 68 back in 1994 I used either a 75 or 76 transmission hump. Required a little modification but worked great.

Hey everyone,
So I am trying to gauge interest in the 4 speed on the tree adapter. If I have an idea on the number I can start figuring out costs to get these made and what is feasible.
As it stands we have the adapter ready to go (design is good). You can shift through 4 speeds on the column!! There are two final hurdles, 1. Trying to figure out the final details on the little tweaks needed for the side shifter arm. Modifying the arm will likely mean taking an existing shifter arm and cutting it to the correct length and then re-welding it. If there is enough interest I can look into having arms pre-made.
2. Tranny hump modification.
The tranny hump is the biggest hurdle. There are two paths that can take. 1. the end user will need to modify their own hump (you will need a hump and welding skills). 2. There is some sort of pre-made hump that looks stock but has the clearance. The second option would only happen if there is enough interest to make that feasible. I would imagine it being a high quality fiberglass unit. Metal would be way too much $$.
Thanks the help in figuring this out! :cheers:
I would price it twice as much as a high dollar alarm. That will cut out 75% of the world from stealing it and 99.9% of anyone under 40 from stealing it hahah

Are you still Bringing this to market about to remove 3 on tree for 4 speed and interested.
I did actually. If there are people interested in another run please PM me! :)
Looks like a very simple part to machine from where I'm sitting.
It took a lot of testing and prototyping to get this just right. It may be somewhat easy to machine for a machinist... but that is kinda a moot point.

It took a lot of testing and prototyping to get this just right. It may be somewhat easy to machine for a machinist... but that is kinda a moot point.

Good. I'm glad it got completed. From no updates to this old thread it appeared the project had died.

My project changed plans a bit so I am probably willing to sell my kit. Also will have a 100% complete rust free shifter linkage and top cover takeout available in a few months.

My project changed plans a bit so I am probably willing to sell my kit. Also will have a 100% complete rust free shifter linkage and top cover takeout available in a few months.
Hard to find a complete shifter kit! Someone scoop that. :)
@Roastchestnuts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom