2024 Land Cruiser announcement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know what you’re saying and I wonder about the hybrid feature. My wife drives a hybrid RAV4 and those cars traditionally will go a couple of decades. But beyond fluid changes and basic PM i will have to go back to tech school if something really went wrong. But then again knowing how flawlessly this RAV4 has been operating I don’t fear the hybrid LC! The hybrid feature is definitely more complicated but remember when Toyota introduced the automatic tranny and fuel injection and electronic ignition! When I had my 200 and looked through that mass of technology I thought to myself, could I diagnose and fix this thing if something went wrong?
There is the big question, what could go wrong?
If anything, this conversation is making me more and more comfortable with buying a hybrid LC😁

I disagree. Apart for basic maintenance items that can be sourced in a third world country, you tell me what a LC 100 would need. I can tell you that mine with 256k just had its first timing belt, replaced the original radiator as a pm and otherwise has never had a major issue.

*edit: additionally, if a 100 leaves you stranded, it’s likely due to your own neglect😁

A guy that waited 2.5x past the timing belt service mileage is telling me I neglect my maintenance. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I needed that. Thanks bud.

A guy that waited 2.5x past the timing belt service mileage is telling me I neglect my maintenance. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I needed that. Thanks bud.
I’m the second owner and bought it at 250k miles. You should put more thought and effort in your response or simply not engage. I’ve put forward a lot of good information (good info or bad, we can talk about) in an effort to have an interesting conversation and the only thing you respond to is an insult. I never said you neglected your vehicle, I said if a 100 leaves you stranded it’s due to owner’s neglect. Try to improve your reading comprehension. Clearly an intelligent, civilized discussion is not in your wheelhouse. Have a nice day partner.

Last edited:
I’m the second owner and bought it at 250k miles. You should put more thought and effort in your response or simply not engage. I’ve put forward a lot of good information (good info or bad, we can talk about) in an effort to have an interesting conversation and the only thing you respond to is an insult. I never said you neglected your vehicle, I said if a 100 leaves you stranded it’s due to owner’s neglect. Try to improve your reading comprehension. Clearly an intelligent, civilized discussion is not in your wheelhouse. Have a nice day partner.

I think you're giving yourself a real big pat on the back. Your information was mostly circumstantial. I like the car care nut, but that's not really "proof" of anything. We have no idea what part numbers will be carried over from the 300 series to 250 chassis (GX or LC), but you can safely bet it will be a lot of them - they are built on the same chassis. The GX will share the same engine. This is not like the 100 vs 120 or 200 vs 150. Toyotas entire idea with the TNGA platform is to carry over part's between vehicles.

And then you "tongue in cheek" pointed out that I must have neglected my 100 if it has left me stranded, as I had previously pointed out that it had. So I don't buy into your talking point that you are super level headed, but clearly I can't have an intelligent conversation. You think that is a good way to further a conversation?

I have put TONS of man hours and money into my 100 in maintenance (and upgrades), and yet:
- Ignition Shaft broke: It was in my driveway. I don't recall there being a way to start the car until I repaired it. It was 2016, so I don't recall all the details, but I don't recall a way to start it, and would have needed a tow had I not been in my driveway.
- Fan/ Serpentine belt / idler pulley: That whole job. It went SUPER fast on my truck. Was in Tucson, and could only make it back to Southern Gilbert before I was too concerned about it. Towed it home. This one is ehhh - I could have had it fixed in Tucson, but I work on my truck myself.
- ABS Unit: Super common issues, everyone knows about it. Fought this issue for years, as the replacement unit used to be 2,100. Ended up being the actuator (after replacing everything else). Left me stranded once.

Its a vehicle dude. They all have issues. The important part is knowing what the issues are, and if you are comfortable dealing with them. I absolutely LOVE that Toyotas, and especially the 100 series has way less inherent issues than other manufacturers and other Toyota vehicles for that matter. But its a vehicle. They are going to break, and they ALL have inherent weak points.

I think you're giving yourself a real big pat on the back. Your information was mostly circumstantial. I like the car care nut, but that's not really "proof" of anything. We have no idea what part numbers will be carried over from the 300 series to 250 chassis (GX or LC), but you can safely bet it will be a lot of them - they are built on the same chassis. The GX will share the same engine. This is not like the 100 vs 120 or 200 vs 150. Toyotas entire idea with the TNGA platform is to carry over part's between vehicles.

And then you "tongue in cheek" pointed out that I must have neglected my 100 if it has left me stranded, as I had previously pointed out that it had. So I don't buy into your talking point that you are super level headed, but clearly I can't have an intelligent conversation. You think that is a good way to further a conversation?

I have put TONS of man hours and money into my 100 in maintenance (and upgrades), and yet:
- Ignition Shaft broke: It was in my driveway. I don't recall there being a way to start the car until I repaired it. It was 2016, so I don't recall all the details, but I don't recall a way to start it, and would have needed a tow had I not been in my driveway.
- Fan/ Serpentine belt / idler pulley: That whole job. It went SUPER fast on my truck. Was in Tucson, and could only make it back to Southern Gilbert before I was too concerned about it. Towed it home. This one is ehhh - I could have had it fixed in Tucson, but I work on my truck myself.
- ABS Unit: Super common issues, everyone knows about it. Fought this issue for years, as the replacement unit used to be 2,100. Ended up being the actuator (after replacing everything else). Left me stranded once.

Its a vehicle dude. They all have issues. The important part is knowing what the issues are, and if you are comfortable dealing with them. I absolutely LOVE that Toyotas, and especially the 100 series has way less inherent issues than other manufacturers and other Toyota vehicles for that matter. But its a vehicle. They are going to break, and they ALL have inherent weak points.
My new 100
1691174309578.png

Toyota has said it in more than one video I've seen (about the GX, so same difference) that its getting that rear end.

Your 100 series must be more reliable than mine if absolutely nothing went wrong before 25 yrs that could have stranded you. All vehicles have issues - the question is can we fix them? Nothing enflamed here - just think that you're looking at past Cruisers through rose colored glasses.

Show me where you directly stated that your 100 has left you stranded. Sure, you may be able argue that you implied it (I certainly concede that) however in my response I was not saying you neglected yours, I stand by that. Absolutely they’re not perfect but I would say they’re the best. And sure, things go wrong with them, but compared to everything else out there they’re very impressive for reliability.

At the point of my last response, I had lost all interest in continuing a discussion with you because up to that point you offered nothing that was respectful, noteworthy, and which was not antagonistic or insulting.

As far as the abs module, is it possible to get the $70 rebuild/o ring kit for it in a third world country? Likely yes. I may be wrong in saying this, so I apologize if I am, but it seems to me that you miss my points entirely, as evidenced to me by your responses. I will go back to the original philosophy of my initial comments, can a hybrid be reasonably repaired in a third world country? I argue no. Was and is Toyotas philosophy behind the Land Cruiser to live in a third world country with minimal maintenance, for 25 years, YES. Does making a Land Cruiser a hybrid negate that 25 year philosophy? I also argue yes. If you don’t agree that making a Land Cruiser a hybrid does not negate their 25 year philosophy, help me understand why. Why this is such a hard thing to discuss, boggles my mind, genuinely. Make it make sense 🤣🤣🤣🫤

Last edited:
As far as the abs module, is it possible to get the $70 rebuild/o ring kit for it in a third world country? Likely yes. I may be wrong in saying this, so I apologize if I am, but it seems to me that you miss my points entirely, as evidenced to me by your responses. I will go back to the original philosophy of my initial comments, can a hybrid be reasonably repaired in a third world country? I argue no. Was and is Toyotas philosophy behind the Land Cruiser to live in a third world country with minimal maintenance, for 25 years, YES. Does making a Land Cruiser a hybrid negate that 25 year philosophy? I also argue yes. If you don’t agree that making a Land Cruiser a hybrid does not negate their 25 year philosophy, help me understand why. Why this is such a hard thing to discuss, boggles my mind, genuinely. Make it make sense 🤣🤣🤣🫤

Rather than squabble back and forth (admittedly I think you fully understood my implication, but its neither here nor there at this point)... lets get back to the point at hand.

My ABS module had a bad actuator. As I noted above. It was not the master cylinder. That part is not produced by Toyota, there is no P/N. I had a used one swapped in from a different vehicle - which to be honest is not a thing most people do, outside of Andy Le (hes on FB, hes not on 'mud), as I have never found that swap documented here on 'mud. Would a third world country have the ABS module in stock, somewhere? Maybe... but I wouldn't bet on it being in every country. They were hard to get for a while, hence the price tag.

Question: Do we know if the v35A or other Toyota hybrids for that matter can function without their battery? I think that really is the root question here, if your main contention is a hybrid issue would leave a vehicle immobile in a 3rd world country. Its a good question. But I guess, at the same time, I'd like to see proof - its your argument, not mine.

Last edited:
Rather than squabble back and forth (admittedly I think you fully understood my implication, but its neither here nor there at this point)... lets get back to the point at hand.

My ABS module had a bad actuator. As I noted above. It was not the master cylinder. That part is not produced by Toyota, there is no P/N. I had a used one swapped in from a different vehicle - which to be honest is not a thing most people do, outside of Andy Le (hes on FB, hes not on 'mud), as I have never found that swap documented here on 'mud. Would a third world country have the ABS module in stock, somewhere? Maybe... but I wouldn't bet on it being in every country. They were hard to get for a while, hence the price tag.

Question: Do we know if the v35A or other Toyota hybrids for that matter can function without their battery? I think that really is the root question here, if your main contention is a hybrid issue would leave a vehicle immobile in a 3rd world country. Its a good question. But I guess, at the same time, I'd like to see proof - its your argument, not mine.
I’ve been in Law enforcement for many years. The last five years or so, I’ve been the prosecutor on many criminal cases. In addition to that, I’ve been the owner of a cattle company, a very tough industry. I can sincerely tell you, I have learned that pursuing implications will only get a guy backed into a corner with no good way out. You’ll either trample someone’s constitutional rights, loose a conviction or cost you a lot of money, leverage or both. I completely overlooked your implication in my first reading and meant nothing personal.

As a rancher, (former, for now) I know something of what’s required of a reliable vehicle. I can assure you they are simply not produced. Pickup (US variety) trucks are toast after 50-100k miles on the ranch. Chevy gmt platform is, I’d argue the best, however they’ll need a new 4l60 transmission if you sneeze on the throttle while pulling a trailer and a rear diff if you pull a 3k lbs trailer off road for more than 2k miles. A ram Cummins, you need to rebuild the front axle at 50k miles to the tune of $3500, replace the dpf at 60k miles for $7500 and the transmission at 95k miles for $5500. The 6.4 power stroke? Absolute trash. The list is too long. Just figure whatever you paid new for the truck, you’ll put that much into it to get it to 80k miles. Now, admittedly, this is for use on a ranch, something I would imagine is comparable to use in a third world country. The Land Cruisers used on ranches in Australia have a reputation for being extremely reliable for hundreds of thousands of miles, of hard use. My own experience of Toyotas have been the same. I don’t pretend they’re something they’re not, but if you ask me, they’re pretty dang good and I do hold them in extremely high regard.

My original question does stem from the idea: would the failure of the hybrid system leave your LC dead if failed. If there’s no diminishing use of the vehicle with failure then it’s a moot point. I don’t know, my question comes from a position of complete ignorance of hybrids and their reliability. Early this year I nearly plunked down $50k on a new sienna hybrid, but relented because I simply don’t know enough about their service life and future repairs.

When I say that if a LC leaves you stranded, it’s the fault of the owner, that’s mostly tongue in cheek. For the most part, if you keep them properly maintained and keep up on known issues, you shouldn’t be left stranded, especially here in the IS where paved roads are a lot easier on vehicles. That’s a reputation they have worldwide. If you bust a timing belt for example, and you know it’s 50k over, who’s at fault? Conversely, if you have a fuel pump fail, that’s simply out of your control. If you loose a serpentine belt, do you have a spare on board? If not, that’s fault of the owner for being stranded. I’m not throwing stones at anyone, I’m just trying to have an interesting discussion. Now, hard use of American vehicles, they have a much much shorter life, and they’re more likely to leave you in a bad way, especially if neglected, however they don’t need to be neglected to strand you.

Last edited:
At what point does a thread earn the coveted "Thread Derailed - ﹰRead ﹰAt ﹰYour ﹰOwn ﹰRisk" notice?

Just curious...

Wait, isn't that how the guy returned your old 100 series and then asked you to fix everything for him?

I’ve been in Law enforcement for many years. The last five years or so, I’ve been the prosecutor on many criminal cases. In addition to that, I’ve been the owner of a cattle company, a very tough industry. I can sincerely tell you, I have learned that pursuing implications will only get a guy backed into a corner with no good way out. You’ll either trample someone’s constitutional rights, loose a conviction or cost you a lot of money, leverage or both. I completely overlooked your implication in my first reading and meant nothing personal.

As a rancher, (former, for now) I know something of what’s required of a reliable vehicle. I can assure you they are simply not produced. Pickup (US variety) trucks are toast after 50-100k miles on the ranch. Chevy gmt platform is, I’d argue the best, however they’ll need a new 4l60 transmission if you sneeze on the throttle while pulling a trailer and a rear diff if you pull a 3k lbs trailer off road for more than 2k miles. A ram Cummins, you need to rebuild the front axle at 50k miles to the tune of $3500, replace the dpf at 60k miles for $7500 and the transmission at 95k miles for $5500. The 6.4 power stroke? Absolute trash. The list is too long. Just figure whatever you paid new for the truck, you’ll put that much into it to get it to 80k miles. Now, admittedly, this is for use on a ranch, something I would imagine is comparable to use in a third world country. The Land Cruisers used on ranches in Australia have a reputation for being extremely reliable for hundreds of thousands of miles, of hard use. My own experience of Toyotas have been the same. I don’t pretend they’re something they’re not, but if you ask me, they’re pretty dang good and I do hold them in extremely high regard.

My original question does stem from the idea: would the failure of the hybrid system leave your LC dead if failed. If there’s no diminishing use of the vehicle with failure then it’s a moot point. I don’t know, my question comes from a position of complete ignorance of hybrids and their reliability. Early this year I nearly plunked down $50k on a new sienna hybrid, but relented because I simply don’t know enough about their service life and future repairs.

When I say that if a LC leaves you stranded, it’s the fault of the owner, that’s mostly tongue in cheek. For the most part, if you keep them properly maintained and keep up on known issues, you shouldn’t be left stranded, especially here in the IS where paved roads are a lot easier on vehicles. That’s a reputation they have worldwide. If you bust a timing belt for example, and you know it’s 50k over, who’s at fault? Conversely, if you have a fuel pump fail, that’s simply out of your control. If you loose a serpentine belt, do you have a spare on board? If not, that’s fault of the owner for being stranded. I’m not throwing stones at anyone, I’m just trying to have an interesting discussion. Now, hard use of American vehicles, they have a much much shorter life, and they’re more likely to leave you in a bad way, especially if neglected, however they don’t need to be neglected to strand you.

No harm no foul bud.

To the bolded part - yeah I think its a good question. Would make the potential downsides of a hybrid even smaller. I personally don't have the time to dig into it and figure it out, but I'd like to know.

At what point does a thread earn the coveted "Thread Derailed - ﹰRead ﹰAt ﹰYour ﹰOwn ﹰRisk" notice?

Just curious...

As soon as everyone started bitching it wasn't a 70 series, as if they thought there was a chance in hell the 70 was all of sudden being imported to the US.

Just curious...

I think right now:

No one noticed that the 100 series "picture" I posted was a Subaru forester :popcorn:

Screenshot_20230805-150754.jpg

I want to see someone mod the hell out of the new "LC", 35's, aftermarket bumpers, winch, etc.

The real issue as I see it is that these two arguing are 100 series owners. That's like two Labra-doodles owners arguing about whether there's more sugar in ketchup or ice cream? But hey, I don't want to escalate anything...the next thing you know someone is going to accuse someone else of being a jeep owner on Firestone Firehawks and then what? This could get ugly. Someone throw a glass of water on these two snicker-doodles. Zona

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom