Allow myself to introduce….myself. (2009 LX570 OEM+ build and maintenance thread) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been a Toyota guy for around 5-6 years. Started with a 4Runner. Now in a Tundra. Just picked up a very clean 2009 LX for my wife. 149k miles. I'm probably going to spend a bunch of preventative maintenance money on this thing...I'll be inspecting diffs and TC fluid, power steering, radiator, brakes, etc etc. Maintenance records show that the battery and alternator have been replaced. Other than that, just regular service items. Oil was changed right before I bought it.

What a smooth and powerful machine. We love it. It's paid for, so all we have to do is feed it gas. Lexus says the engine makes 383HP/403TQ on 91 octane fuel. My Tundra's 5.7 makes 381HP/401TQ on 87 octane. Is that the only difference?

The one thing I'd love to find a part number for is the cupholder on the back of the fold down middle section of the second row seats. It's broken. May have to do some hunting around.

Will be referencing this forum a lot.

To do list:
Upgrade front brakes to 2017 Tundra
Replace rear rotors and pads
Bleed brakes
Change diffs and TC oil
SDHQ battery terminals
SDHQ battery hold down
Flush AHC
New accumulators
3D front Cupholder insert
new 2nd row cupholders
fix mirror shaking
exercise L4 and CDL actuators
replace rear liftgate supports

–p/n for 2008 and early 2009 with rear spoiler: 68950-69150, 68960-69065
Husky Weatherbeaters for first two rows
repair windshield rock chips
Install Fumoto valve
new engine air filter
new cabin air filter
Grease driveline
Replace PCV valve
JB Weld radiator weak point

AHC sensor lift?
Polish headlights
Roof storage system (undecided)
Change oil and filter upon purchase
Change oil and filter at 152k

Replace:
Radiator
Water pump and thermostat
Fan pulley bracket
Tensioner pulley
Idler pulley
• Alternator (maybe wait till 200k)
• Starter (maybe wait till 200k)
• Spark plugs
Drain/fill Transmission fluid

Links/notes:
• Sway bar end links post (p/n 48817-60020)
• Mirror bolt sets : 81859-60480 Bolt Set RH, 81859-60490 Bolt Set LH
AHC overview and bleeding doc
AHC height mods — lift it
Rear suspension rebuild
LX skids bolt locations
additional transmission cooler
Transmission:
• (2) 35178-30010 crush washers for transmission drain and overflow plugs
• (1) 90301-15004 rubber o-ring for transmission fill plug

Last edited:
howdy
this place is a wealth of information

Been a Toyota guy for around 5-6 years. Started with a 4Runner. Now in a Tundra. Just picked up a very clean 2009 LX for my wife. 149k miles. I'm probably going to spend a bunch of preventative maintenance money on this thing...I'll be inspecting diffs and TC fluid, power steering, radiator, brakes, etc etc. Maintenance records show that the battery and alternator have been replaced. Other than that, just regular service items. Oil was changed right before I bought it.

What a smooth and powerful machine. We love it. It's paid for, so all we have to do is feed it gas. Lexus says the engine makes 383HP/403TQ on 91 octane fuel. My Tundra's 5.7 makes 381HP/401TQ on 87 octane. Is that the only difference?

The one thing I'd love to find a part number for is the cupholder on the back of the fold down middle section of the second row seats. It's broken. May have to do some hunting around.

Will be referencing this forum a lot.

Congrats on the purchase.

I’d be surprised if you can find a single part of it. eBay is probably best bet.

You can run regular. Keep that 2009 lx on the road!

Nice! Thanks for the link. Yeah, I was thinking this might be an eBay special...

In case you are wondering, if it’s available at Partsouq, they are a legit vendor with usually much better pricing than US vendors, as long as shipping costs make sense. 200 series are far more prevalent in Middle East, so parts are generally cheaper.

Is this the one in Memphis? Grant motors maybe?

Have you looked up the service history on the Lexus site?

First mod:
Tundra brakes. There are a couple of great write-ups on the site that I will be using. Ordering parts today.
I may even put my TRD Off Road wheels from my Tundra on it. Still have new Michelin tires on them. I understand this may be uncouth to some on here, lol.

Couple newbie questions:
1. Does the rear liftgate open on its own if you touch the button handle? I can get it to open with the key fob or the button on the dash, but if I grab the handle, I have to open it myself. Not a big deal. I consulted the manual, and didn’t see an answer here. We’re just used to our Yukon that opens automatically when you press the inside of the handle on the rear.

2. Sport/Normal/Comfort AVS switch. I’m not sure I can tell if this does anything. Haven’t messed with it too much, but no notification comes up on the dash that it has switched modes. Again, I consulted the manual, and it didn’t say anything about the mode changing on the dash. Maybe it’s just that I haven’t taken any rough roads or corners while messing with it?

I was reading through the manual the other day and I remember reading about a button to turn the rear liftgate off. I do not recall the details.

1668095678321.png

Last edited:
I was reading through the manual the other day and I remember reading about a button to turn the rear liftgate off. I do not recall the details.
Yes, that button on the dash turns off the auto function. The rear lift gate must be manually opened and closed when it is pressed.

Yes, that button on the dash turns off the auto function. The rear lift gate must be manually opened and closed when it is pressed.
There is no "open on it's own" if you use the switch on the rear hatch to unlock it. It only fully opens on it's own if you use the switch in the dashboard or the fob. If the switch on the dash listed above is disabled, then neither the fob nor the button in the dash will open the rear hatch. I believe the @a200 mentioned the disable button on the dash, since that button is most likely the reason that your fob and the other button don't work to open the rear hatch. Once open there is a button on the end of the hatch that will do a full automatic close.

there are no notifications on the AVS in the dash. If you have techstream you can verify the ecu knows you are changing the switch. Driving straight down a road at lower-ish speeds, it would be hard to perceive any difference between the settings. There are many threads, including one in the last 24 hrs on this topic.

Update. Time to check the oil level and look at the brakes. The nice thing for me is I do all my own maintenance on my truck. And now that I have two 5.7s, most of my tools should work on the LX.
F2DABCA9-5FB3-405B-92AB-3E010A7A3020.jpeg

One of the rear brakes is squealing. It didn’t make a peep on my test drive when I bought it Wednesday. Funny how that works. I cross shopped all my favorite Toyota parts shops and ordered parts for Tundra brakes up front according to @TeCKis300 ’s list and new Lexus pads/rotors in the rear. They can’t get here fast enough. This is the currrent state of the brakes. This front passenger rotor is DONE:
3F78C026-B5DE-46D5-8E4A-3CC0002255B0.jpeg

I went with new OEM everything from McGeorge Toyota except the calipers. Found a good set of used OEM Tundra calipers for about half price on eBay. By the way, McGeorge is usually the cheapest for Toyota/Lexus OEM parts online. The other place I have great luck with is Lewis Toyota out of Kansas.

I also ordered a rear seat center console cupholder. McGeorge Toyota carries it as well, and yes it’s cheaper than every Lexus online storefront I could find. For Lexus-specific parts that a McGeorge might not carry, Lexus of West Kendall seemed to be the cheapest by a couple bucks. Previous owner had the LX detailed, but they didn‘t do a very deep dive.
D0E53BF1-183A-469F-94B0-9D51F86100A7.jpeg

I’m sure that deep under the seats looks terrible, too. 10 year old fries and whatnot.

Next to tackle: windshield rock chips!

Last edited:
Noticed my side mirrors flopping a bit on the highway today. Did some searching and found a YouTube video where a guy shows how to remove the small panel under the mirror to expose 3 - T25 screws. I tightened them up as much as I was comfortable doing so. There still seems to be a tiny bit of play in the mirrors, although it is much better. If they still move around a bit, I may order the new bolt kits for both sides. Here are the parts numbers, for my own potential future reference:

81859-60480 Bolt Set RH
81859-60490 Bolt Set LH

Hoping to get some shipping notifications tomorrow for all the brakes parts I ordered on Friday.

If you need lexus parts bell lexus in north scottsdale is the best place to order from. They are usually cheaper than everyone else, there customer service is great, and there shipping speed is amazing.

If you need lexus parts bell lexus in north scottsdale is the best place to order from. They are usually cheaper than everyone else, their customer service is great, and their shipping speed is amazing.
Yep, they’re on the list. I cross shop a bunch of different places and find who is cheapest after shipping. McGeorge was cheaper for everything I needed for brakes as well as the second row middle seat back cupholders. They may not carry all the Lexus-specific stuff you need, but if they have it, they are usually beating everyone else in the US.

Add Lexus of West Kendall to your parts shopping list—the few things I looked up there were very close to McGeorge prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom