2013 lx570 suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my Lexus has been maintained at the dealer since new, it has 145k miles on it. I get a video inspection from the dealership claiming all my shocks are leaking and the ahc rear line also leaking. Note I spray fluid firm yearly, maybe they are seeing that and think the ahc is leaking. I have no issue with the suspension, it works perfectly. I'm thinking the dealership wants to make alot of money. Here's the video I got sent from the dealership

I saw your thread on FB and think you already figured out the solution.

No way all 4 shocks are leaking at the same time. Clean up the AHC line and keep an eye on it and the AHC reservoir level. The thing I didn't say on the FB thread: at least the tech sounds knowledgeable about AHC. If/when something does go wrong, at least they *sound* smart about the components and work involved in fixing it.

Until then, take it with a grain of rust belt salt.

I saw your thread on FB and think you already figured out the solution.

No way all 4 shocks are leaking at the same time. Clean up the AHC line and keep an eye on it and the AHC reservoir level. The thing I didn't say on the FB thread: at least the tech sounds knowledgeable about AHC. If/when something does go wrong, at least they *sound* smart about the components and work involved in fixing it.

Until then, take it with a grain of rust belt salt.
Yes thank you, I didn't get a responsed here that's why I posted on Facebook. Trying to get people opinion of their experience from their own ahc system.

what is the quote for the repair?

You live in Michigan? That is where the AHC lines rust and leak. It is likely that the tech is correct with the AHC line. Shocks...appearance don't lie. They are wet.

You live in Michigan? That is where the AHC lines rust and leak. It is likely that the tech is correct with the AHC line. Shocks...appearance don't lie. They are wet.
1400 for rear shock, 1600 for the lines and 2100 for the front shocks. Smh

All four shocks leaking simultaneously is unusual for sure, but not out of the realm of possibility.

The tech sounds like he understand the AHC system, and his recommendation to fix the leaks before the pump dies (as a result of no fluid) is spot on. The shocks in the video do look like they have leaks, but it's hard to be certain in a video. By the way, a new pump can run in the $5k USD neighbourhood (my local Canadian dealer paid $10k CAD for one a few years ago).

Keep in mind, it's one thing for a mechanic to exaggerate a problem verbally, but it's a whole other issue for a mechanic to exaggerate a problem while narrating a video, not to mention identifying themselves and their dealership. If they are lying, they are opening themselves up to a lawsuit and a whole bunch of bad press.

If in doubt, take the LX to another dealer or even indy, and ask their opinion.

I don't think they can be held accountable for the video. Owner said there is fluid film applied so dealer can easily get out of it claiming the owner did not tell them about it and a further inspection will require removal of the coating, etc cost that is no included in the inspection, and on and on excuses.

I'm not saying he is right/wrong. Without being under the truck it is impossible to correctly diagnose on a small low res video.

I do not think all are leaking. But I'll say the same thing go as above, get a second opinion especially when talking about 5k. Make sure you tell them about the fluid film.

Me? I would clean the shocks up really well maybe using some degreaser and drive for a while before a new inspection. That will actually tell you if there is a leak.

IF i were you, then i would pay ONLY for the line to be fixed. Clean up the shocks and see next time.

I just took a nice road trip to Chicago and Ohio 2x. It drove smooth, no bouncy ride or anything. What imma do is take my truck back and clean all the fluid firm with brake cleaner, inspect it after 5k miles. It's either fix it, if it's worth it or I'll convert it to a lc suspension much cheaper.

I'll offer some input from a 100 series AHC guru. The 200 series system is very similar with a few extra sensors and accumulators, but I think the following translates pretty directly.

The trick here is that AHC shocks (actually rams) are *supposed* to seep. It's specifically called out in the manual that wet shock bodies are to be expected. Dripping wet is a problem, but the video shows perfectly normal AHC shocks that show some seeping. Totally normal. Not a problem at all.

All four shocks leaking simultaneously is unusual for sure, but not out of the realm of possibility.

The tech sounds like he understand the AHC system, and his recommendation to fix the leaks before the pump dies (as a result of no fluid) is spot on. The shocks in the video do look like they have leaks, but it's hard to be certain in a video. By the way, a new pump can run in the $5k USD neighbourhood (my local Canadian dealer paid $10k CAD for one a few years ago).

Keep in mind, it's one thing for a mechanic to exaggerate a problem verbally, but it's a whole other issue for a mechanic to exaggerate a problem while narrating a video, not to mention identifying themselves and their dealership. If they are lying, they are opening themselves up to a lawsuit and a whole bunch of bad press.

If in doubt, take the LX to another dealer or even indy, and ask their opinion.

The pump is controlled by the AHC ECU which monitors pressure changes carefully. If the pump runs and detects no increase in pressure, the pump is immediately disabled. To my knowledge, you cannot burn out the pump by running it dry. They system is smart enough to avoid that. What you will create, however, is an annoying level of air bubbles in the system that then need to bled out. You certainly don't want to have a line rupture, but it's not really from a pump health perspective, IMO.

I just took a nice road trip to Chicago and Ohio 2x. It drove smooth, no bouncy ride or anything. What imma do is take my truck back and clean all the fluid firm with brake cleaner, inspect it after 5k miles. It's either fix it, if it's worth it or I'll convert it to a lc suspension much cheaper.

Don't fret. The line may need replacement, but that shouldn't be catastrophically expensive. The pricing in your quote is probably based on full Lexus dealer markup which is laugh-out-loud high. Take the part numbers, plug them into google and see what you get from two places:

1. McGeorge (now Ourisman) $196. Absorber Assembly Shock 48510-69355 | Toyota Parts - https://toyotaparts.ourismantoyotaofrichmond.com/oem-parts/toyota-absorber-assembly-shock-4851069355?referrer=toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com
2. Partsouq: $152. https://partsouq.com/en/search/all?q=4851069355

AHC isn't all that expensive to maintain if you source parts carefully. If you go to the dealer and pay their marked up prices on perfectly good components that they convince you to replace, then yeah, it'll be expensive, haha.

Please do not use brake cleaner to cleanup painted parts as it damages the paint. Brake cleaner is for brake parts. Use lighter fluid instead or a light petroleum solvent.

The pump is controlled by the AHC ECU which monitors pressure changes carefully. If the pump runs and detects no increase in pressure, the pump is immediately disabled. To my knowledge, you cannot burn out the pump by running it dry. They system is smart enough to avoid that.
You absolutely can, and my dealer did, burn out a pump by not manually priming it (as the pump is not self-priming). Whether that's the same thing as an already primed pump detecting an issue with pressure and turning itself off is a technicality I can't speak to. But from the AHC nightmare I went through with my own dealer, I wouldn't take the slightest chance with causing AHC problems again.

I have also never seen weeping of AHC fluid on any of my shocks. Certainly nothing like what's in OP's video.

Please do not use brake cleaner to cleanup painted parts as it damages the paint. Brake cleaner is for brake parts. Use lighter fluid instead or a light petroleum solvent.
I’ve been using brake cleaner on Toyota suspension & drivetrain parts for a couple decades without issue. It may be bad for the body paint but it will not hurt the paint Toyota uses on shocks or the axle at all.

So going back and forth with the dealership, I decided to replace the ahc line which is more important for me now. 3 part ahc lines going from the motor to the pump for 1400 out the door (I know bit expensive but no other choice). The front struts and rear shocks are fine for now. I called so many places, no one knows about Lexus ahc where I live.

Last edited:
You absolutely can, and my dealer did, burn out a pump by not manually priming it (as the pump is not self-priming). Whether that's the same thing as an already primed pump detecting an issue with pressure and turning itself off is a technicality I can't speak to. But from the AHC nightmare I went through with my own dealer, I wouldn't take the slightest chance with causing AHC problems again.

I have also never seen weeping of AHC fluid on any of my shocks. Certainly nothing like what's in OP's video.
Did they burn out the pump or did they introduce more air into the assembly than they could figure out how to eliminate and therefore resorted to replacing the pump?

The 100 pump will not run unless it registers immediate pressure increases. That fact tends to make bleeding the system annoying, but makes the pumps pretty hard to kill.

I'd be perplexed if they removed that feature for the 200, but I suppose I could be wrong.

Did they burn out the pump or did they introduce more air into the assembly than they could figure out how to eliminate and therefore resorted to replacing the pump?

The 100 pump will not run unless it registers immediate pressure increases. That fact tends to make bleeding the system annoying, but makes the pumps pretty hard to kill.

I'd be perplexed if they removed that feature for the 200, but I suppose I could be wrong.
I'm no AHC guru but have read about people getting noise and strange behavior from what turned out to be a clogged filter screen on an otherwise working pump.. fix the clog, problems disappear. Which suggests to me the pump will run even if the pressure doesn't respond as it expects..

I'm no AHC guru but have read about people getting noise and strange behavior from what turned out to be a clogged filter screen on an otherwise working pump.. fix the clog, problems disappear. Which suggests to me the pump will run even if the pressure doesn't respond as it expects..
When the sludge/gel clog occurs, I think you typically still get *some* flow and pressure, just not much. The 100 pump will also run loudly with a *little* entrained gas or with the gel problem. Once you get a lot of entrained gas or the reservoir runs dry though, the pump shuts off so fast people often think the pump is just dead. It's 0.6 seconds for condition 1 and condition 2 doesn't mention a time, but I suspect it's also very fast. Again, this is all 100 related so surely there are minor differences for the 200. I think there's a wide range where you're building pressure fast enough to avoid the pump shut-off, but there's enough entrained air or pump cavitation to make unpleasant noise.

100 Manual:

1698531109277.png

My understanding was/is that they burned it out, but it was a very long, drawn out, frustrating process with many people involved, and it's entirely possible that things were miscommunicated. If you want to read about it, the fun starts with this post: Builds - eatSleepWoof's '14 LX - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/eatsleepwoofs-14-lx.1112565/page-7#post-13044518

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom